IGNORED

Away Followings This Season...

chalky

Ok, so there's been a lot of talk about how many ST's we've sold this year - I think everyone can agree we have done well to sell as many as we have and fair play to all those who have got one.

Our home attendances have been pretty decent over the last few years but the same can't be said about our away following unfortunately - (the lowest in the 2nd division last season at 654), something that gasheads who poison this forum have pointed out more than once.

So what can we expect this season on our travels? I went to 4 away games last year but there are at least 10 this year I really fancy - Last season we took more than a thousand on only 5 occasions.

Looking at the away fixtures this year - where will our big away followings come from?

You can take Cov out the equation now where we would have taken a couple of thousand no doubt.

But, Swindon, Port Vale, Crewe, Tranmere, PNE, Notts County, Leyton Orient, Wolves, Oldham, Sheff U, Rotherham, Walsall, Stevenage and Crawley - I can see us either selling out or taking a thousand plus to each one of these.

Brentford, swindon, walsall, wolves, leyton orient we will prob sell out. Port vale we usually take a few also depends how we are doing

Rotherham is a new ground so I should imagine loads will go to that. We haven't been to Brammal Lane for a few years either - looks like by far the best ground in the division and will be a new un for me.

the gas don't take many on long trips nor do most clubs, can you see us taking 1500 to Carlise on a tuesday night for example?

People will pick and chose because finanaces are tight, We will sell out for the local and london based clubs (up to about the birmingham area) but anything further a field we will struggle,

Remember last season our away trips were a lot further away then they will this season so I expect we will have a larger following this season

the gas don't take many on long trips nor do most clubs, can you see us taking 1500 to Carlise on a tuesday night for example?

People will pick and chose because finanaces are tight, We will sell out for the local and london based clubs (up to about the birmingham area) but anything further a field we will struggle,

Remember last season our away trips were a lot further away then they will this season so I expect we will have a larger following this season

Of course distance matters when you are talking the likes of Carlisle, but generally distance isn't the defining factor of whether we (or indeed most teams) take a big following and that is simply whether we are doing well or not.

Kind of like the Gas mocking our away average last season. It was still about 25% more than their following, which we are always told is amazing!

They would take more if they were doing better - We will take more if we are doing better.

Of course the realy easy ones to get too like Swindon, Brentford, Walsall will always get good numbers traveling and the likes of Wolves & Sheff Utd will be classed as the "bigger/more attractive" fixtures and then places like Rotherham, Stevenage are new grounds for us, which also attract better followings the first time there.

Of course distance matters when you are talking the likes of Carlisle, but generally distance isn't the defining factor of whether we (or indeed most teams) take a big following and that is simply whether we are doing well or not.

Kind of like the Gas mocking our away average last season. It was still about 25% more than their following, which we are always told is amazing!

They would take more if they were doing better - We will take more if we are doing better.

Of course the realy easy ones to get too like Swindon, Brentford, Walsall will always get good numbers traveling and the likes of Wolves & Sheff Utd will be classed as the "bigger/more attractive" fixtures and then places like Rotherham, Stevenage are new grounds for us, which also attract better followings the first time there.

yea I kinda missed the league standings bit in my post, I fully agree with that too,

You are more likely to travel to say Oldham if you are sitting top of the league on a fantastic run then you would if you were struggling in mid table having lost 3 on the bounce

yea I kinda missed the league standings bit in my post, I fully agree with that too,

You are more likely to travel to say Oldham if you are sitting top of the league on a fantastic run then you would if you were struggling in mid table having lost 3 on the bounce

Yeah deffo, the season we went up we took some fantastic followings all through the season.

We had a great turnout at Carlisle that season, (cracking performance as well)

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/away-days-200607-421123.aspx

According to this we didn't play Carlisle the year we went up....?

I think another factor is - How long ago to we last visit this ground? If we haven't played them for a few seasons that it will be a new ground to a lot of people and people get bored of visiting the same grounds every year.

MK Dongs, Stevenage, Rotherham United, Shrewsbury Town & Colchester United are all new grounds, where BCFC haven't played before, so expect 700 - 1,000 at those.

We always used to take 1,000+ to Swindle Town, Brentford, Leyton Orient, Walsall, Coventry, Wolves, Notts County & Crewe Alexandra.

How we are doing will decide how many go to the rest.

I think another factor is - How long ago to we last visit this ground? If we haven't played them for a few seasons that it will be a new ground to a lot of people and people get bored of visiting the same grounds every year.

There are a few clubs in this league I love going too, Port Vale, Oldham, Orient always loved going to these places,

Away followings even more than home are very much dictated by current form/how the season is going

hence your last year were poor , rovers were about average city tok on average 150 more to each away game not many considering a 2 league gap and the type of grounds and oppostion but then who wants to go when your getting beat every week!

Im sure your away followings will go up by a lot as i think you'll be nearer the top end of the table.

Port Vale is a great awayday proper old ground, swindle is horrible and the police will ruin it as a day out not to mention its bloody expensive ( £26 last year i think for a seat on the open end!)

Also have to think when was the last time we were consistently good away from home over a season. I never witnessed an away win whilst we were in the championship went to a fair away games in the first two seasons but started to lose interest in away games simply because we were for 75% of the time awful away from home. I still went to one or two for the last 2-3 season but in these games we barely had any shots on goal. The last win i saw was against Northampton in August 2006 the famous Orr and Carey incident, even that season i went to 4-5 away games and we were rubbish in those as well.

We most certainly did!

We did a weekend in Newcastle, got the train over to Carlisle, we won 1-3. and that was the point at which I properly believed that was finally going to be our season.

It was also John Ruddy's only appearance for us after a last minute emergency loan deal.

Those figures look more like our first season in championship? Look at the teams on there

Archived