IGNORED

What's The Point Of Player? / "city Player" : Topics Merged

P'head Red

• Admin

What is the point of paying for playe club go and put up the exact same content up on YouTube? Anyone know if this will be the same for the rest of the season? :blink:

Maybe this has been done in pre season to show non subscribers the type of content they'll be missing out on if they dont sign up?

I really applaud this initiave and I'm a (reluctant) Player subscriber. The Club has to engage all City fans and get them interested enough to come and see us, to feel involved and informed and to feel that the Club is reaching out to get them interested again. It can't really do that when all the prime marketing information (goals / highlights / interviews / old games etc) are not available to anyone except the already committed supporter.

Subscribing to Player is what us hardened and committed fans have to do to get our regular fix. It's up there with booking fees, premium rate phone calls and extortionate prices for football shirts that leaves diehards feeling like cashcows. Find ways of getting more people involved, removing barriers like "hidden" charges, lower costs etc will eventually see more people coming. Income from more people means less need to screw more income from the same people.

The Club is surely on the right lines with a lot of its initiatives and videos on youtube is amongst those good initiaves. The next logical stage is to make Player free to view and to really start getting potential fans fully exposed and enticed. Is it better to get a diehard to pay £36 a year begrudgingly and keep all the high quality content restricted to them or to make it free so that new and "fair-weather" fans come to a couple of extra games because they feel more like City is their team again? And if these hardcore fans are freed from the need to pay for Player and feel more warmly about the Club as a result, might we be more willing to spend the money we saved on Player on other City items? I think at the moment the Club are contractually committed to Player along with the rest of the Football League and until that contract ends using Youtube is the next best thing.

Surprised at the good video quality on the youtube channel - been subbed to iplayer for the last 2 seasons and the video replays make it hard to even see what player is on the ball, not sure if it's just poorly condensed/uploaded on iplayer - but for a paid service the video quality is shocking.

Yep, the quality on player is rubbish. It's a shame, I was hoping the YouTube switch would be permanent, I'll be cancelling my player subscription anyway as it really doesn't offer good value.

Does for me. Not living in Bristol its the only way I can get radio commentary, that alone is worth it for me.

And yea, the video highlights are of a shocking quality.

In the day and age of HD, and the fact its a paid service, you would of thought the quality of the video could be better.

Also, even now there are some issues with audio volume now and then for me.

In season surely they can't do this due to their contract with whoever runs player? The only decent thing about player is the commentary. I don't know how YouTube works but say if the club could show all their highlights etc on there then they could possibly earn more from YouTube?

In season surely they can't do this due to their contract with whoever runs player? The only decent thing about player is the commentary. I don't know how YouTube works but say if the club could show all their highlights etc on there then they could possibly earn more from YouTube?

I think the problem with youtube would be who owns the rights to the football league highlights. Sky/BBC would probably have something to say if all the goals were shown on youtube before they had chance to show them.

Isn't the commentary just the local Radio 5 live ?

Does for me. Not living in Bristol its the only way I can get radio commentary, that alone is worth it for me.

And yea, the video highlights are of a shocking quality.

In the day and age of HD, and the fact its a paid service, you would of thought the quality of the video could be better.

Also, even now there are some issues with audio volume now and then for me.

This.

As a player subscriber - it is a little frustrating. However I have recently had probs watching player on my S4 which is even more frustraing - got flash player etc etc,

The club should continue with You Tube and ditch Player. As mentioned, all fans should have access to interviews etc - it brings in alot of interest hearing SOD talking about methods, attitudes and what was it "behaviours" - pmsl

• Admin

As a player subscriber - it is a little frustrating. However I have recently had probs watching player on my S4 which is even more frustraing - got flash player etc etc,

The club should continue with You Tube and ditch Player. As mentioned, all fans should have access to interviews etc - it brings in alot of interest hearing SOD talking about methods, attitudes and what was it "behaviours" - pmsl

Are you trying to watch it through the browser? If you are, try downloading the Football League app and use your Player login details to watch the videos in the app.

With player you also get links to all other clubs sites so, if you're sad enough, you can dip in and hear the thoughts of their players/managers also.

Is always fun listening to the other clubs match commentary as well for a different perspetive

• Admin

I have never and never will suscribe to player. I have been a season ticket holder and City Society/City 2000/ City Foundation or what ever its called now for 20+ years and a POTD fan for 20+ years before that. I refuse to pay to get news and highlights that used to be free and IMHO should be free to season ticket holders, if not all fans.

• Admin

DaveL

Please could you find out why we are not able to have true HD quality video on Player when the quality on YouTube is much better. Thanks

Is it fair to compare our video quality to an entity that has a $4billion annual turnover?

I don't begin to pretend to know how much extra it would cost to improve the standard whether it is in recording or streaming. I suspect it is the recording equipment though as even on YouTube the highlights were quite blocky. The close up interviews have always been much better quality though.

DaveL

Please could you find out why we are not able to have true HD quality video on Player when the quality on YouTube is much better. Thanks

I complained to Player about the poor quality of highlights last season, it amazes me that the same camera is used for the football league highlights (which can be in HD) yet when uploaded they look like a load of scribbles on a green thing!

They acknowledged that the fault lies with them and that a 'team' had been organised to deal with the problem. That hasn't really filled me with much hope.

As I understand it, they know they are the only ones that offer commentary, highlights, interviews, etc... so they basically couldn't care less if the quality is poor because they know that for people like me (Live in Manchester) I have no choice but to pay the money and put up with it.

All i'd say is that if enough people complained to them they might, not likely, but might do something about it.

• Admin

Is it fair to compare our video quality to an entity that has a $4billion annual turnover?

I don't begin to pretend to know how much extra it would cost to improve the standard whether it is in recording or streaming. I suspect it is the recording equipment though as even on YouTube the highlights were quite blocky. The close up interviews have always been much better quality though.

Ok - may be massively wrong on this, but is it not how the original picture is recorded that makes it HD, not just what you are viewing it from?

Surely both sites are using the same footage?

I'm with Maeksnoll Red on this, poor site and use it less and less, so have now cancelled my subscription

I tried it for a while a couple of seasons ago but found I didn't use it. Sometimes I catch the goals on TV or catchup, most of the time I don't bother with that. Once the game is over it's gone, move on to the next one. Watching goals over and over is never the same, different angles, different speeds, I like to remember them how I saw them in real life mode.

I can see how people need it for radio commentary if they are away from the radio bristol area though, that would be a must for me. But most of the info is on here in seconds or even through Twitter these days. I don't even visit the official site unless I really have to if I'm honest.

Archived