IGNORED

Defence Looking Good

foghornred

Our Defence is looking good,

Our starting defence is looking good so far in friendly's,the defence which reads

Fielding

Malloney Flint Fontaine Cunningham

Has kept clean sheets against Glasgow Rangers (half match) and against Reading (nearly full match) and has not had to ask the keeper to commit to to many saves so if we can keep clean sheets we are half way there.

I said on another thread I reckon we have the best full backs in the division.

Both have been solid. Cunningham has been a playmaker for us from day one, but Moloney is starting to contribute some sterling long balls and so I have to agree with you.

Not only do we have the best full backs, but we've also got the best keeper in the division - and I mean by miles.

I'm not too sure on our CBs just yet. I think Flint has shown signs he's going to be decent for us. Fontaine; all depends on confidence. Williams; still to early to tell. Carey; Decent still, but I think age will catch up with him this season. WIlson; Hmm.

Didn't go to the Reading game but watching the highlights on Youtube it looked as if Reading had a few good chances and it was only due to their bad finishing that they didn't put one or two away (and a good goal line clearance from Bryan (at least it looked like him...))

The majority of effective teams are built from the back.

Our promotion-winning sides of 1997/98 & 2006/07 both had mean defences.

This is why I am greatly encouraged by our last two performances. Added firepower can, and I believe will come in time.

Personally I am happy to wait a season for the goals to flow if that is what the club finances dictate. I suspect SOD knows this too - and I certainly think he has the right priorities in terms of rebuilding the squad.

• Admin

Ive been looking at the records of leading teams in the Championship/League 1 last season and if we could concede 0 or 1 goal in 30 games next season we'll be in the mix for promotion for sure. We did that in 19 matches and got relegated.

Didn't go to the Reading game but watching the highlights on Youtube it looked as if Reading had a few good chances and it was only due to their bad finishing that they didn't put one or two away (and a good goal line clearance from Bryan (at least it looked like him...))

Neither side had too many chances, seeing that Reading were in the prem last year I thought we handled them quite well

Archived