IGNORED

Jay Simpson

Know the Score

• Admin

people throw claims like this around which i totally understand, but if you look at it, only 2 players last year scored over 20 goals in L1 and no one scored 25

you can't just go out and get a 25 goal a year striker, especially not in league one. when it happens, it's someone like lita who isn't proven and won't be in L1 long. i think most proven L1 goalscorers will get you 12-18 or up to 20 in a good year

for info: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/league-one/top-goalscorers.html

edit: just saw tins made a similar post to me just before, oops!

As did I in pointing out our top scorer got 11 last time we got promoted from this division and that Hull and Cardiff's top scorers in the division above got 9 & 8.

As did I in pointing out our top scorer got 11 last time we got promoted from this division and that Hull and Cardiff's top scorers in the division above got 9 & 8.

Indeed. And Baldock scored 13 and 14 goals respectively in the two full seasons he played in L1. Tidy.

Simpsons best assets are finding space and bringing others into the game, I think he would be a good partner with Baldock and JET.

I don't think anyone is going to play 'with' JET and Baldock; I think that'll be SOD's preferred starting strike force, with JET in a free role. Hence moving initially for Pack rather than a new striker. I suspect he feels he doesn't have sufficient cover for Baldock (who he clearly rates) and that's what we'll be after. Is Simpson better than Baldock? I don't know, his goals to game ratio suggests not. Will Simpson sign up to be a back-up in League 1? I wouldn't have thought it's his first choice and if he's going to drop down he's be able to be top-dog elsewhere

I don't think anyone is going to play 'with' JET and Baldock; I think that'll be SOD's preferred starting strike force, with JET in a free role. Hence moving initially for Pack rather than a new striker. I suspect he feels he doesn't have sufficient cover for Baldock (who he clearly rates) and that's what we'll be after. Is Simpson better than Baldock? I don't know, his goals to game ratio suggests not. Will Simpson sign up to be a back-up in League 1? I wouldn't have thought it's his first choice and if he's going to drop down he's be able to be top-dog elsewhere

SOD has already stated that he will be finding a replacement for Davies..........you might think otherwise, but I believe he has someone in mind..should be arriving middle of next week

SOD has already stated that he will be finding a replacement for Davies..........you might think otherwise, but I believe he has someone in mind..should be arriving middle of next week

I'm not saying he won't replace Davies, I'm saying the replacement will not be an automatic starter

I think if he knows Jet well and they can link up on paper this looks good but then again lots of players look good on paper. Which is what it is for now paper talk if that???

I don't think we need a out and out scorer though as previously mentioned Ask Burnely if having Austin helped them ( yes I know he got injured at times but still scored bagful. Ask Blackburn if Rhodes scoring 29 helped them!

So yes goalscorers can help but also teams that score from all over the pitch seem to do just as well, also having a goal scorer puts the pressure on them ala Adomah scoring and assists. Which is why is so exciting to see Sod with the approach of pass and play movement.

I'm Trying not to get carried away but would be great to see us scoring from all over the pitch and surprising teams, that would make my season and if we get a top 10 finish even better.

Baldock's never scored more than 12 league goals in a season.

I know you enjoy pointing this out Nogbad, but you could also point out that Baldock's goals:games ratio is just over 1:3 which isn't too shabby. I'd also point out that the first time Robin Van Persie scored more than 12 in a season was 2010/11 which was when he was 28; 4 years older than Baldock. Just because he hasn't scored more than 12 league goals in a season (add in cup appearances, and his best is 14 I believe) doesn't mean he won't. Keep him fit for a season in a decent team and I reckon he could break 20 goals, but of course that is me speculating

I have to say in all the pre seasons so far, our strikers have pretty much hit the defenders everytime. Except for Albert's goal against Reading it was just hit and hope, especially for Davies it was something similar at Forest Green. Extra shooting practice is definitely on the cards as the chances we did have went straight at the keeper.

If I'm right Baldock when he scored his goals was playing for an excellent MK Dons who created loads of chances at that time and often ran teams ragged with their creativity. Think he was quick but not necessarily a "natural" goalscorer. Was never convinced about him when you signed him following his stint at West Ham. Think League 1 is his level but will he score many goals? Not convinced myself. I think the answer is if you create enough chances for him he will score goals probably on something like 1 goal in 5 chances. Could be proved wrong as goals breed confidence and if he scores some early on he could well go on a run.

If I'm right Baldock when he scored his goals was playing for an excellent MK Dons who created loads of chances at that time and often ran teams ragged with their creativity. Think he was quick but not necessarily a "natural" goalscorer. Was never convinced about him when you signed him following his stint at West Ham. Think League 1 is his level but will he score many goals? Not convinced myself. I think the answer is if you create enough chances for him he will score goals probably on something like 1 goal in 5 chances. Could be proved wrong as goals breed confidence and if he scores some early on he could well go on a run.

Dear oh dear...... What a load of shit

Well they didn't get promoted so they can't have been that good.

Don't have to get promoted to be a good footballing side. MK Dons were a side who created a lot and scored a lot of goals when we were in that division.I believe they lost in the Play offs. Its only a personal opinion that Baldock needs a fair few chances created for him to score a goal from what I have seen. If this is not as you see it then you will know as he is playing for you.

Baldock scored 6 in 8 for West Ham before injury. I don't think he will run riot in L1 but think he will get 12-15 goals.

As usual fans on here have gone from 'we are looking like back to back relegation candidates' to 'we will be promoted by February'. I think with such a big turnaround of players and a lot of youth, a top half finish is achievable and I expect us to be 8th-12th. Simpson would be a good edition and another option up top.

Archived