IGNORED

The Church And Wonga Etc.ll

Several things struck me over the the Archbishop of Canterbury's faux pas reference wonga and revelations of the companies that the church actually has investments in including wonga .

Firstly the church should IMO keep out of politics and get it's own 'house' in order (pun intended) and it usually ends in embarrassment. Secondly as with the catholic church and many other religions it seems to me that somewhere along the line the religious aspect of the church has been lost to it's corporate side and thirdly given that the C of E of is always crying poor (especially when a church roof is leaking) who is their target audience for donations? quite often the poorer in society, now we know the extent of it's wealth perhaps the church should put it's hand it's own pocket a little more.

True but you can't fault them for providing a more socially responsible service in this instance.

I have no problem whatsoever (although I can't get of my mind the idea of a couple of vicars turning up threatening to break your legs when you don't pay up) I think the phrase you are looking for maybe 'archbishops in glass churches, shouldn't cast the first stone, without checking one is on terra firma', Denis Thatcher when asked about his timidness with the press famously said 'better be thought a fool than open your mouth and have it confirmed' and in this case you would have thought either he would have checked against any embarrassing conflict of interest or his advisors would have warned him, the problem being in this case the media have now unearthed a whole raft of seemingly 'unethical' investments by the church, ooops.

No doubt embarrassing and some serious questions asked/bollockings handed out through this.

But, you'd be foolish to be hoarding that amount of money, letting it decrease in value. By failing to invest it is also failing to aid global economic growth. It is virtually impossible to invest money in shares with assured ethical implications so complex economics is, remember the church were only indirectly involved with wonga, so indirectly the archbishop didn't even know it!

The assumption that it's the poorest that fill the coffers on a Sunday whip round is subjective. There are plenty of wealthy worshipers out there who I suspect contribute the lions share nationally.

Finally, offering financial advice and support through their own buildings, their own time and their own people (a BCFC lawyer is a church goer, for example) is a good thing, religiously/politically orientated or not. Offering 2000% interest to people already clearly struggling to cope financially, for purely business reasons, is not.

Several things struck me over the the Archbishop of Canterbury's faux pas reference wonga and revelations of the companies that the church actually has investments in including wonga .

Firstly the church should IMO keep out of politics and get it's own 'house' in order (pun intended) and it usually ends in embarrassment. Secondly as with the catholic church and many other religions it seems to me that somewhere along the line the religious aspect of the church has been lost to it's corporate side and thirdly given that the C of E of is always crying poor (especially when a church roof is leaking) who is their target audience for donations? quite often the poorer in society, now we know the extent of it's wealth perhaps the church should put it's hand it's own pocket a little more.

My spin on this is that the Labour Party - and especially the former Tony Blair regime's - love affair with collectivist ideologies has lead to ever bigger government and the welfare-warfare state. Lead by the Marxist splinter group called the "Frankfurt School" the Chairman Mao style "long march through the institutions" has infiltrated every corner of British culture to corrupt traditional Christian values with "Political Correctness," (Political Correctness being another name for "Cultural Marxism"). Basically, I think that the 'holier than thou' PC Lib-Lab-Con politicians should keep out of church business and put their own house in order. Especially as Lib-Lab-Con politicians are always crying poor when it comes to voting themselves yet another stonking pay rise at the beleaguered taxpayers' expense. :P:shifty:

No doubt embarrassing and some serious questions asked/bollockings handed out through this.

But, you'd be foolish to be hoarding that amount of money, letting it decrease in value. By failing to invest it is also failing to aid global economic growth. It is virtually impossible to invest money in shares with assured ethical implications so complex economics is, remember the church were only indirectly involved with wonga, so indirectly the archbishop didn't even know it!

The assumption that it's the poorest that fill the coffers on a Sunday whip round is subjective. There are plenty of wealthy worshipers out there who I suspect contribute the lions share nationally.

Finally, offering financial advice and support through their own buildings, their own time and their own people (a BCFC lawyer is a church goer, for example) is a good thing, religiously/politically orientated or not. Offering 2000% interest to people already clearly struggling to cope financially, for purely business reasons, is not.

Not sure I agree with "virtually impossible." Yes, it takes a great deal of oversight of one's portfolio, but it is achievable (with the obvious caveat that the control process needs to be strong.) Certain of the clients I deal with have investors that specify their funds can only be invested in ethical companies, with what constitutes ethical varying by investor: some don't want defence contractors, others don't want alcohol and tobacco companies: in each the manager needs to carve out portions of the portfolio to accommodate the investor's wishes, and then 3rd party consultants are engaged to audit the portfolio on a periodic basis to ensure compliance.

And yes, my job is at times as dull as that preceding paragraph sounds.

Can anybody tell me why praying to their god needs to be funded? I didn't notice it in the ten commandments.

I honestly can't see any difference in the church and wonga, both take advantage of the poor.

Churches still have to pay for things, and unfortunately sunday morning collections don't touch the sides in most places so they are funded by their regions which make losses and in turn need to be funded by their national bodies.

Heating in the buildings, paying the vicars, keeping the buildings clean, even volunteers would use the electricity, maintaining the building for safety.

The church is at fault for investing immorally to make up for these losses but the profits go towards trying to sustain a dying church.

See that's all well and good, an I appreciate Dezgimreds joke.

What doesn't make the news is the good churches do do for people's lives. The soup runs and hostels, the youth groups helping to keep kids out of trouble, services for the elderly, services for the incarcerated/imprisoned, people supported and hearts changed. Admittedly, the church does have a massive image problem.

I have my own belief system going on that is private to me, I don't go to church but this cynical impression of the church isn't fairly counter-acted through mainstream mediums. That bloke was stupid 'waging war' on wonga. Enjoy the laugh.

See that's all well and good, an I appreciate Dezgimreds joke.

What doesn't make the news is the good churches do do for people's lives. The soup runs and hostels, the youth groups helping to keep kids out of trouble, services for the elderly, services for the incarcerated/imprisoned, people supported and hearts changed. Admittedly, the church does have a massive image problem.

I have my own belief system going on that is private to me, I don't go to church but this cynical impression of the church isn't fairly counter-acted through mainstream mediums. That bloke was stupid 'waging war' on wonga. Enjoy the laugh.

All those good things are good things other organisations do without expecting belief in a contrived fiction, without an abusive power structure and without squatting on generations of accumulated land and wealth. The church, and all organised religions, are virulent harmful organisms that deserve derision and ridicule at the very least.

All those good things are good things other organisations do without expecting belief in a contrived fiction, without an abusive power structure and without squatting on generations of accumulated land and wealth. The church, and all organised religions, are virulent harmful organisms that deserve derision and ridicule at the very least.

Unfortunately there is a certain religion one is unable to ridicule as it leads to worldwide riots and many deaths. A religion, I'm afraid to say, which is incompatible with the British way of life.

Unfortunately there is a certain religion one is unable to ridicule as it leads to worldwide riots and many deaths. A religion, I'm afraid to say, which is incompatible with the British way of life.

There are many of those. Islam doesn't have a monopoly on crazy extremists by any stretch of the imagination.

It's probably worth noting that Islam is prevalent in poorer or less developed countries with weaker education systems (chicken or egg I don't know) - people in these environments are vastly easier to manipulate which is the goal of every organised religion.

A lot of the restrictions and abuses that followers of Islam put up with now are similar to ones followers of western religions put up with at earlier stages of development.

Frankly, followers of all religions are mental cases that should be pitied and ridiculed in equal measure. I think indoctrinating children with any organised religion should be a serious crime.

Indeed, although you might be laying yourself open to accusations of racism by denouncing one particular church ;)

Frankly, followers of all religions are mental cases that should be pitied and ridiculed in equal measure. I think indoctrinating children with any organised religion should be a serious crime.

As Richard Dawkins points out, it's a form of child abuse.

There are many of those. Islam doesn't have a monopoly on crazy extremists by any stretch of the imagination.

It's probably worth noting that Islam is prevalent in poorer or less developed countries with weaker education systems (chicken or egg I don't know) - people in these environments are vastly easier to manipulate which is the goal of every organised religion.

A lot of the restrictions and abuses that followers of Islam put up with now are similar to ones followers of western religions put up with at earlier stages of development.

Islam is evil and a curse on humanity.

Archived