IGNORED

Probable Team Against Bradford?

Dynamite Red

Two holding midfielders were the key to Palace's success last season though, allowing Zaha and Bolasie to play. For years now we've struggled to get the balance right, needing a 5 man midfield for security but only being able to look like scoring with 2 strikers. I think between them Wynter, Pack & Kelly could be the answer to that.

Fair point, but without meaning to sound like a smartarse, there are three glaring weaknesses to this comparison, one being we don't have Zaha, the second that we don't have Bolasie, either (or even Albert, for that matter, or at least not for sure) and, finally, we don't even have Kelly, since his cruciate ligament injury puts him out for probably the entire season.

If we had very pacey, dangerous players up front like the ones you mention, I'd agree it might be a different story. As it is, I know last season's misery, watching us concede more goals than just about any other team on the planet, tends to make one want to opt for a belt-and-braces approach, but given the current composition of the squad, too much emphasis on protecting the back four could leave us looking completely toothless in attack. The defence should, in any case, be less in need of cover if SOD's intention of making us a team that can retain possession better actually becomes a reality.

Of course, there may yet be further signings that will shift the ground of the argument and change the dynamics, in which case all well and good, but right now I'd say we can't afford the safety-first tactics of two defensive midfielders if we want to win enough games to make us competitive at the right end of the table.

It's all about opinions at this stage, anyway. We'll see how the real life evidence starts to stack up when the season's under way.

Two holding midfielders were the key to Palace's success last season though, allowing Zaha and Bolasie to play. For years now we've struggled to get the balance right, needing a 5 man midfield for security but only being able to look like scoring with 2 strikers. I think between them Wynter, Pack & Kelly could be the answer to that.

It was for Palace, but they had one centre forward plus 2 wingers. We don't have 2 wingers really. Albert is but won't be here very long. Wagstaff is more of a workmanlike wide player - the kind you have in a 4 4 2 that protects his full back well and Bryan is similar. This is why JET is important IMHO. He has to hold the ball up to allow us to build moves. Plan B at the moment (maybe for tougher away games) is to play one up with an extra midfielder pushed into the 'hole'. If we have Pack and Wynter available that may well be Kilkenny, or it could be Reid like yesterday.

I suspect that we may well dip into 3 5 2 at times as well. We did this to great effect against Forest last season as SO'D thought this would cause Forest the most problems. He is always clear in distinguishing between a formation and a style of play. He wants us to be possession based, but to have the nous to vary formation in order to exploit our opponent's weaknesses. We played like this against Rangers at home. So, this could be a possibility:-

Fielding

Maloney Flint Fontaine

Wagstaff Kilkenny Wynter Cunningham

Reid

JET Baldock

GK: Fielding

RB: Maloney

LB: Cunningham

CB:Flint

CB: Williams

DM: Wynter

DM: Pack

RW: Adomah

LW: Bryan

AM: JET

CF: Baldock

Yes I agree with the comment that Killkenny will start on Saturday ahead of JET otherwise this is the team to KO the season, unless we make another signing.........

What we will have in this division is a strong bench, however we must find more goals from somewhere!

I can see Adomah being off soon and with what we got for Davies SOD will have some money to spend....The future looks bright and I cant wait for the off!

I think we'll see

------------------Fielding-------------------

Moloney-Flint-Fontaine-Cunningham

Albert--Killkenny--Wynter--Wagstaff

----------------------JET----------------------

--------------------Baldock------------------

Completely agree. Unless anyone else is signed or leaves then I will be very surprised if the sides a lot different to that above.

Completely agree. Unless anyone else is signed or leaves then I will be very surprised if the sides a lot different to that above.

The only possible difference would see Williams instead of Fontaine.

I think we'll see

------------------Fielding-------------------

Moloney-Flint-Fontaine-Cunningham

Albert--Killkenny--Wynter--Wagstaff

----------------------JET----------------------

--------------------Baldock------------------

I think that will be the team also.

Defence and Midfield look impressive.

Going on what I've seen pre season and the options we have, Taylor shouldn't be any where near the first team. Not good enough IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing fonts leave either but he will do well in league one so don't mind him in team. I would like to see Williams get more of a chance however

Archived