IGNORED

Opening Day Memories

Sargent Pepper

Im wondering what peoples favorite memories are of the first day of the season & What is it that makes the day so special to football fans?

Our recent home form on the opening day have been fairly terrible but I do remember a fantastic 5-0 victory vs Notts Co a few years back. Also the 1st game having won promotion with GJ vs QPR I remember as being a special day.

Earliest opening day memory for me is a 1-1 draw with Blackpool who scored after about 12 seconds. Sam Allardyce was in charge of Blackpool I believe.

Not a paticularly special opening day, just one I remember. Didn't get to that many and the most recent ones haven't been spectacular.

Definitely enjoyed the game vs QPR in 07-08, despite their late equaliser.

3-3 with Pompey back in....dunno 92/93? Jacki hit a screamer. Not sure if that was the opening day of the season or our first home fixture of the season but it sticks in the memory.

Pretty sure that was 92, was a cracker of a game

My fav was the 4-2 win vs Blackburn after promotion, must have been 1990 I guess

My fav was the 4-2 win vs Blackburn after promotion, must have been 1990 I guess

Yeh, remember being there for that one too. Thought Blackburn were a big club at the time with some well known players and we'd done really well to beat them...i was only about 13.

Yeh, remember being there for that one too. Thought Blackburn were a big club at the time with some well known players and we'd done really well to beat them...i was only about 13.

They were a lot bigger than anyone we'd played for a few years, that's for sure. Can remember feeling incredibly chuffed that we'd put 4 past them

Earliest opening day memory for me is a 1-1 draw with Blackpool who scored after about 12 seconds.

I remember getting there 2 minutes late as we'd been too long in the pub. I was hoping for a bounce back as I think it was our first season after relegation but after a minute I said to my mate "we'll lose today if we play like this", chap next to me said "we're already 1-0 down" I almost went straight back to the wedlocks

Im wondering what peoples favorite memories are of the first day of the season & What is it that makes the day so special to football fans?

Our recent home form on the opening day have been fairly terrible but I do remember a fantastic 5-0 victory vs Notts Co a few years back. Also the 1st game having won promotion with GJ vs QPR I remember as being a special day.

My favourite memory is of you bumping into the back of that bloke on the motorway on the way to Grimsby, while sat in a traffic jam.

When the geezer got out shouting and bawling and was then confronted by 4 football fans, the look on his face was a picture!!

Wasn't this the lee amigos match miller,Matthews,peacock

The 3-3 draw with Pompey is a faint childhood memory for me - I was only 6 years old but I can just about remember being there and it being sunny and a great game (though I was a bit too young to really understand).

The 5-0 at home against Notts County was probably the best I've been to. Notts Co had a pretty fat goalie who dropped a couple of clangers towards the end - they were in financial trouble at the time I think, and we just steamrollered them.

Recent opening day memories are painful - the Millwall home game under Coppell was a total sickener. I haven't attended an opening day fixture since that one - I remember how easily they cut through us, and Nicky Hunt was at right back and Damion Stewart got sent off. It was totally embarrassing and a sign of things to come for us unfortunately.

Arsenal 0 - 1 Bristol City

Also Bolton away also in the top flight, we won 1-2 and Tom Ritchie bagged a brace, also just got home to see it on Match Of The Day.

Happy days !

For those that were there nothing could top the Arsenal match. I used to live next door to an Arsenal fan and he went to that game, Arsenal fans still talk about it, one of the biggest away followings ever seen at Highbury!

Quite agree, still sits nicely in my rapidly decreasing memory banks. We were in the Clock end and I can still see Cheese rising above O'leary and nodding it home.

A good family friend and his family are Arsenal mad, and were also friends with the Cheesleys.

Paul came round one day and Pete, the old man, wouldn't let him in the house ! Ha,ha.

Quite agree, still sits nicely in my rapidly decreasing memory banks. We were in the Clock end and I can still see Cheese rising above O'leary and nodding it home.

A good family friend and his family are Arsenal mad, and also were also friends with the Cheesleys.

Paul came round one day and Pete, the old man, wouldn't let him in the house ! Ha,ha.

But he burst through and tucked the ball into the top right hand corner of the fireplace ;)

Yeah, I'm sure the Pompey game was 1992...all kicked off in the Dolman, great game. Likewise the Blackburn game in 1990, my first game with my schoolmates. I'm sure we went 2 down before scoring 4 goals, brilliant game.

My favourite memory is of you bumping into the back of that bloke on the motorway on the way to Grimsby, while sat in a traffic jam.

When the geezer got out shouting and bawling and was then confronted by 4 football fans, the look on his face was a picture!!

:laugh:. Not quite what I was getting at but that was a stand out memory as was the smell from the outskirts of Grimsby

Wasn't this the lee amigos match miller,Matthews,peacock

It certainly was, you beat me to it. Everything they touched that day turned to gold, we thought we had the season sussed. After the match we walked up the Balloon Fiesta for cider and the night glow. It was a boiling hot day, and night.

Yeah, I'm sure the Pompey game was 1992...all kicked off in the Dolman, great game. Likewise the Blackburn game in 1990, my first game with my schoolmates. I'm sure we went 2 down before scoring 4 goals, brilliant game.

understatement of the year!

1958 v Rotherham Utd. Over 25K in the ground. We score from the kick off in 11 secs. Run out 6 - 1 winners. What a start. Got even better on the Tuesday night as we beat Barnsley 7 - 4 away from home. All came to an abrupt end away to Sheffield Utd on the following Saturday with a 4 - 1 defeat. 23 goals in the first 3 games. If memory serves me correctly we finished around mid table with a for and against goals in the 80s!

Earliest opening day memory for me is a 1-1 draw with Blackpool who scored after about 12 seconds. Sam Allardyce was in charge of Blackpool I believe.

Not a paticularly special opening day, just one I remember. Didn't get to that many and the most recent ones haven't been spectacular.

Definitely enjoyed the game vs QPR in 07-08, despite their late equaliser.

Yep - David Seal scored one of a number of screamers that season to equalise.

David Seal, David Seal, David David Seal................

1958 v Rotherham Utd. Over 25K in the ground. We score from the kick off in 11 secs. Run out 6 - 1 winners. What a start. Got even better on the Tuesday night as we beat Barnsley 7 - 4 away from home. All came to an abrupt end away to Sheffield Utd on the following Saturday with a 4 - 1 defeat. 23 goals in the first 3 games. If memory serves me correctly we finished around mid table with a for and against goals in the 80s!

A few years later we did even better - we scored 100 and finished in the bottom half!

1-3 at Wolves in the mid 90s. Their ground was a building site and their fans were chucking stuff down at us from above.

Also Reading away just after relegation. We must have taken about 4000 there but we lost after Gerald Lavin chucked a ball at a fan.

I think he more than half volleyed at the fans not chucked it :laugh:

Archived