IGNORED

Guarded Optimism

Nibor

That's the point of view I'm taking into tomorrow and into the season ahead.

We got relegated last season and most fans would have cited the centre of defence and centre of midfield as by far our biggest weaknesses.

We've signed Wynter and Pack for the midfield - it remains to be seen if they're improvements on Skuse but I'd bet on yes. Kilkenny may improve in what is likely to be a three man midfield.

We've signed Flint and Williams for the defence and to be honest there's little doubt they're upgrades on bambi Nyatanga and perpetually injured Bates. A big hard bastard and a quality young player to compete with/replace Fontaine. Cunningham and Moloney stay and they're probably the best full back pairing in the division.

In goal we have Fielding and Parish versus last season's Heaton and Gerken - well there's not much to choose and I think we're better off.

Wide, we've lost Anderson and gained Wagstaff - and if we lose Adomah no doubt there'll be another signing so again not much to choose there either.

The only downside is up front where Stead's departure is a big blow and Davies leaving means we've got really only got Baldock, JET and Harewood as decent forwards. (I know Taylor has his fans but from what I've seen he's not up to it). Maybe there is more business to be done.

The team as it stands is, in my opinion, better than that which was relegated. It's a tougher job going up than avoiding going down but we're better equipped. We seem to be robust in defence which is half the battle and we can be more creative up front given time.

I think the stronger organisation S. O'D. will impose will improve us immensely and if young players like Reid and Burns come through we might even trouble the playoffs.

All in all I'm looking forward to this season more than I have any since our last promotion. Let's be optimistic without putting the pressure on and see a nice positive atmosphere around the Gate. This could be the start of a good period.

The general vibe concerning recruitment is positive and that's with cutting through the effect of your typical, blind, pre-season optimism.

I think people appreciate the fact it's mainly younger lads, who aren't already minted, with years of moddle-coddling and the effect professional football can have on a players cranium in relation to their anus.

Only Fontaine and Killkenny, of the piss-takers that got us relegated, are being touted by the otib experts as possible starters. I'd like them both gone, but what can you do?

So hungrier players with something to prove, hopefully with enough about them to blossom into something resembling a football team is reason for guarded optimism.

However, most of this forums ramblings are based on speculation, assumption and gut feeling. So, in reality, we really haven't got a clear idea about what to expect.

One thing I am extremely confident of though is, the football can not get any worse than the dross that was served to us in such generous helpings last season.

I am still genuinely concerned about the possible featuring of Fontaine and Killkenny, though. I'll be having nightmares about last season right until my dieing days. No matter how badly grandkids over-react after a poor City performance, decades from now, I'll be able to say: ''You weren't there in 2012 when we were 0-4 down, at half time, to a team that would go on and get relegated with us'' and break out in cold sweats and the shakes. It probably will be enough to see me off in the end : 'City fan, 83, dies of suspected heart attack -possible broken heart- after reminiscing over the class of 2012/13', the headline will read.

I've got guarded optimism we'll do better this season than that and frankly, that'll represent progress enough.

Think it's a case of trying to not let your heart rule your head ..... We all hope that the city will bounce back at the 1st attempt but a more realistic top half finish is probably what we can hope for ( obviously I'd prefer the 1st). I think though the future seems a little brighter once the new look young and hopefully hungry side gel and with a bit of luck the 'comfort zone players' Fontaine, Kilkenny etc will either buck up or leave

COYR!! Lets just hopefully enjoy the next 9 months

My first season back after 2 years without a season ticket. Expecting nothing more than watching the club hopefully building towards becomming a proper football club, where it tries to play a bit of football, invests in it's academy and fields a team that whatever the score, you can look them in the eye and feel confident they tried. Mid table is my prediction which is ok, anything more after all the changes would be a bonus.

Seems obvious a lack of goals will be the main worry and we shouldn't underestimate trying to bed in virtually an entirely new team.

Expect top ten, hoping to sneak a play off place.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it as much as several of the Championship seasons though, I mean, Crawley, Shrewsbury and Stevenage FFS!

People are worrying about the goals but they will come. I think most will and do under estimate baldock and I guess rightly so, but he will shine this season. There is also the little point of another striker being brought in some point soon.

Goals will come. The big difference to this season will be the clean sheets which will win us the games. That has been our real downfall but I believe we have now plugged the gap

Remember ,Fontaine air kicking on many occasions and swearing at city fans! I tend to stick up for players but his attitude last season was unforgivable IMO, wish he was gone!

Im in the "he cant have become crap overnight" camp on this one. I dont want to make excuses for the lad but he was out of his depth by being given the armband and i think it was too much pressure. A few bad performances and his confidence was shattered, we got on his back and it was a downward spiral.

For years he was pretty solid and Southampton wanted him, maybe that went to his head a little, but I think he deserves a few games back at this level (where he should stand out as a class above) and then judge him. If hes still costing us then he needs to go

Seems obvious a lack of goals will be the main worry and we shouldn't underestimate trying to bed in virtually an entirely new team.

Expect top ten, hoping to sneak a play off place.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it as much as several of the Championship seasons though, I mean, Crawley, Shrewsbury and Stevenage FFS!

On a selfish level, I have now been to most of the grounds in the Championship yet I was too young to travel that much last time in League 1 so looking forward to some new grounds

I have a reasonable amount of optimism for the start of the new season, the recruitment of young talented hungry players is a huge step in the right direction. These players will need time to bond together as a unit, and there will be ups as well as downs for sure. We need to have patience as fans (more so than last year as we now have the younger players we craved), whilst I think it reasonable to expect us to be top half/contenders this year. I think we should also be prepared for a year of building, and massive improvements in quality and passion on the pitch with the progression of promotion being a more realistic target even expectation for next season. Let's not build ourselves up for a massive let down and start slating the players if not all is rosey around Christmas. CHR

I reckon with the number of young players we now have, we're likely to be very inconsistent. I think we'll have games when we really click, which will lead to raised expectations, only to be followed by games when things just don't work out for us.

I really hope us fans keep it real and remain patient, as that will really determine whether SO'D is allowed the time to complete the long overdue rebuild. Most of what we need is now in place, so it's down to us to do our bit now!

I agree with what Cider Hoss Rules says, we need to be patient with this season we are going through a rebuilding phase that needs time to mature. I would love to bounce back at the first attempt but I would worry if we have a squad good enough then for the Championship and the roller coaster starts again. A season to get the team functioning as a unit then when we do go up, we go up with a squad of players equipped to stay there.

As for Fontaine I have a feeling that last season he lost his confidence and tried to hard to get it back. The crowd was constantly on his back hence he tried to hard to please and lost concentration, I could be wrong but just my opinion.

Kilkenny the Leeds fans say this could be his level, but he would have to improve dramactically for him to impress me, a finger pointing jump out of the way of tackles scared to head the ball, one good pass every 4 games player to be a constant performer I can't see it sorry.

Biggest loss of players for us IMO is losing Kelly for the season. Pack should be a good replacement but would of liked to see Wynter with Pack and Kelly one side of him. I thought Kelly was detained to be our Captain this year but hopefully he can come back from this injury to pick up where he left off,.

I have a reasonable amount of optimism for the start of the new season, the recruitment of young talented hungry players is a huge step in the right direction. These players will need time to bond together as a unit, and there will be ups as well as downs for sure. We need to have patience as fans (more so than last year as we now have the younger players we craved), whilst I think it reasonable to expect us to be top half/contenders this year. I think we should also be prepared for a year of building, and massive improvements in quality and passion on the pitch with the progression of promotion being a more realistic target even expectation for next season. Let's not build ourselves up for a massive let down and start slating the players if not all is rosey around Christmas. CHR

I don't see why it should take our new recruits any longer to gel than any other team's new recruits (and let's face it, every team has brought in new players). And considering most of them were brought in the early part of summer, I don't see why they shouldn't hit the ground running, reasonably quickly.

I understand a lot of caution and people saying we will finish mid table but I can't see 10-12 teams finishing above us! While I don't think it going to be easy I think we should at least the play offs! Coyr

Indeed.

In truth, after looking at what Sheffield Utd have last night I can only recognise 3 other teams that will seriously challenge.

Peterborough

Wolves

Brentford

Perhaps my knowledge on L1 is now 'lower' than before?

We seem very well equipped throughout the club as a whole and the squas looks very strong on paper.

So by the fact we have got a load of new players that you may have seen occasionally, more than likely not at all other than some friendlies, you believe they are better than last years lot. My question would be, why have teams in the championship not bought the players we have bought in, instead of our useless ex wasters, if it was the case our new purchases are better.

These players have signed for us in this division. I won't be getting carried away with it just yet. They may end up brilliant, but there must be a reason they haven't signed for teams higher up the footballling pyramid

Indeed.

In truth, after looking at what Sheffield Utd have last night I can only recognise 3 other teams that will seriously challenge.

Peterborough

Wolves

Brentford

Perhaps my knowledge on L1 is now 'lower' than before?

We seem very well equipped throughout the club as a whole and the squas looks very strong on paper.

Just remember, the last time we were here our team was possibly the strongest on paper for many seasons, we out spent most, but still never got it right for 9 years. It's almost impossible to predict what we will do because we have so many new players. Wolves should not have been relegated on paper last season.

Just remember, the last time we were here our team was possibly the strongest on paper for many seasons, we out spent most, but still never got it right for 9 years. It's almost impossible to predict what we will do because we have so many new players. Wolves should not have been relegated on paper last season.

Oh yea, I do appreciate this. Don't want to seem naive, but we look stronger than last time in this league though.

In the same breath, this league is also stronger than last time we were in it.

Will be tough either way.

Archived