IGNORED

In The Cold Light Of Day...

old_eastender

POSITIVES to be taken... we didn't lose, totally dominated possession until Fieldings clanger, the rest of the new boys looked good:

• Flint - looked exactly what we have been missing
  • Wynter - looked class until being moved out of position with subs
  • Wagstaff - worked hard thoughout, scored
  • JET - made 1, scored 1, despite not looking fully fit was most dangerous offensive player on the pitch
  • Pack - looked very assured, hit some accurate LONG passes, not had a midfielder do that since Hartley

NEGATIVES...

• Kilkenny - OK so he kept possession well and had a tidy game, but far too many inside sideways passes instead of looking to feed Bryan & Wagstaff, Pack looked a far better player to me.
  • Fontaine - last season his fowls-ups must have cost us at least 20pts. First game and he costs us 2 pts, he was marking McArdle at the corner, but swiched off allowing McArdle to get the run on him to get the near post header in. Add to that the string of aimless hoofs, nothing to suggest to me last season was just a blip.

POSITIVES to be taken... we didn't lose, totally dominated possession until Fieldings clanger, the rest of the new boys looked good:

• JET - made 1, scored 1, despite not looking fully fit was most dangerous offensive player on the pitch
  • Pack - looked very assured, hit some accurate LONG passes, not had a midfielder do that since Hartley

NEGATIVES...

• Kilkenny - OK so he kept possession well and had a tidy game, but far too many inside sideways passes instead of looking to feed Bryan & Wagstaff, Pack looked a far better player to me.
  • Fontaine - last season his fowls-ups must have cost us at least 20pts. First game and he costs us 2 pts, he was marking McArdle at the corner, but swiched off allowing McArdle to get the run on him to get the near post header in. Add to that the string of aimless hoofs, nothing to suggest to me last season was just a blip.

Fully agree with all of these points. On separate threads people have praised Killa and Fonts, an criticised Pack and Wynter.

Fontaine was uneasy in possession, regularly caught ball watching and seems to wait to be closed down before clearing his lines.

I believed we'd see a different Kilkenny this year, an although it's just the first game, it was the same old. Constantly dithering on possession, not releasing the early ball and unable to spread the play much quicker.

I'd like to see a lot more of Pack. Be interesting whether that range of passing and maturity will be on show every week from such a young lad.

Plenty of positives from today. For once I'm not asking myself 'will we stay up?'. I thought I saw enough yesterday to suggest we will be in the playoffs come the end.

1-1 or 2-1 would have been about right. I know mistakes are made by both teams during a game, but what a howler for their first!

My only complaint is the poor acoustics in the Eastend as apparently no sound was coming from the right hand side, whilst those boisterous bantams created a carnival atmosphere in the left hand side.

How strange.

NEGATIVES...

Pretty much sums it up. Pack and Williams will start sooner rather than later IMO.

Plenty of positives from today. For once I'm not asking myself 'will we stay up?'. I thought I saw enough yesterday to suggest we will be in the playoffs come the end.

1-1 or 2-1 would have been about right. I know mistakes are made by both teams during a game, but what a howler for their first!

My only complaint is the poor acoustics in the Eastend as apparently no sound was coming from the right hand side, whilst those boisterous bantams created a carnival atmosphere in the left hand side.

How strange.

To be fair I was in the Atyeo and could hardly hear anything from the east end other than Bradford

Archived