IGNORED

Last Nights Goals - Youtube

Big Hev

Superb play from JET to set up the first goal and good running through the middle by Wynter for his goal........we just didn't seem to score goals like this last season. Encouraging signs

I was thinking this.

I remember conceding plenty when the other team got to the byline and cut the ball back.... but not scoring too many ourselves. I also remember conceding lots due to a failure of our midfield to track back and our defenders backing off..... but not scoring enough from runners in our midfield.

I know it's early doors and I'm not going to get excited just yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing at the moment!

Superb play from JET to set up the first goal and good running through the middle by Wynter for his goal........we just didn't seem to score goals like this last season. Encouraging signs

Great to see Wynter carrying his run through to the box, maybe we've got a midfielder who can get into double figures for the season? i can't remember anyone doing that since Gary Shelton.

Fantastic skill from Jet in a tight space, at the end of his trickery the bamboozled defender is at full stretch and still can't get a foot to the ball.

Then he finds time to look up and calmly stroke the ball to a well placed Baldock for an easy finish..

Top quality from Jet, in fact I can think of many who ply their trade in the PL who would be envious of such skills and composure.

The team does seem to have goals in it - the midfield contribution already this season Jet / Wagstaff / Wynter looks promising. Flint has also looked like he might get a few from corners/ set pieces by the end of the season. Cunningham had a point blank header saved by the keeper at Bradford, and the rest of the team seem willing to take the responsibility and shoot - whereas last season they all shirked it.

Fantastic skill from Jet in a tight space, at the end of his trickery the bamboozled defender is at full stretch and still can't get a foot to the ball.

Then he finds time to look up and calmly stroke the ball to a well placed Baldock for an easy finish..

Top quality from Jet, in fact I can think of many who ply their trade in the PL who would be envious of such skills and composure.

I thought it was actually quite a difficult finish, first time and with his weak foot. Still had a fair bit of work to do after JET's excellent work.

The football played at 4:08 in the highlights too which eventually led to us hitting the post and then crossbar was also superb and we're in for an extremely enjoyable season if thats what we will get to witness down the gate! The number of passes in that move too!

Wow our first goal looks even better now when you see the build up play before it. If you watch from about 1:40 on the extended highlights theres some cracking 1 touch in the build up.

Was just about to post the same thing. The one touch interplay in the build up is fantastic to watch.

The football played at 4:08 in the highlights too which eventually led to us hitting the post and then crossbar was also superb and we're in for an extremely enjoyable season if thats what we will get to witness down the gate! The number of passes in that move too!

Was about to say that would have been one hell of a goal!

The video at 7:00 (extended highlights).....

Interception, drive, pass.

Simple, effective.

Welcome to Bristol, Marlon Pack.

(I wonder how Ipswich's engine room is running!)

You win and lose games on the strength of your central midfield (hence why we aint won nothig for years).

Having players like Pack & Wynter in ours now who are strong, brave on the ball and WANT to take responsibility makes the world of difference. Unlike when we had the weakling Skuse shuffling around in the middle who was simply happy to pass the ball to the nearest man and then run away from them!

The video at 7:00 (extended highlights).....

Interception, drive, pass.

Simple, effective.

Welcome to Bristol, Marlon Pack.

(I wonder how Ipswich's engine room is running!)

I agree, but I'd suggest the period of play from 4:06 sums up how much more dynamic, fluid and capable this midfield can be compared to what we've seen in recent years (in fact, for far too long!!)

Beginning at 4:06 -

1) Ball lofted forward where Pack gets up and places a header to directly into Marv.

2) Marv plays it back to Pack.

3) Pack plays a quick first time ball to Wynter.

4) Wynter returns a first time ball to Pack who's stayed on the move away from his opponent (creating himself space).

5) Pack brings it forward and draws a man in before playing a forward pass to Baldock (note the importance here of drawing your opponent in, rather than shifting it on as an easy pass! Regular readers will note this was one of my largest criticisms of Skuse).

6) Baldock (and our forward running midfield) now have the Gills defenders backing away (all because their CM's have been exposed by quick passing and drawing in the opponent, effectively taking them out of the game. Baldock plays it wide right to JET.

7) JET draws in 2 defenders and plays it back to Maloney.

8) Maloney plays it first time to Kilkenny.

9) Kilkenny lofts a cross to the far post where Pack has appeared (having started the move in his own half, he's now in the opposition 6 yard box - again, regular readers will note that our previous 'holding midfielder' never dared stray that far).

10) The aerial challenge drops to Baldock who has to turn back and play it to Marv.

11) Marv passes to Kilkenny.

12) Kilkenny passes quickly to Maloney.

13) Maloney passes on quickly to JET.

14) JET again draws 2 defenders allowing for an intelligent run from Maloney, whom he now feeds through (note at this point that Pack reappears in shot, making his way back to being the deepest CM - having just been on the goal line seconds before).

15) Maloney's first time cross is met by Baldock on the far post who should score but hits the post.

16) The rebound falls to Wynter in the 6 yard box who also should score but heads over.

Note at this point, Elliot is now in the box and Pack has dropped back.

That's 45 seconds of play where we dominated possession. All 4 midfielders at some point in the move were the deepest lying, and also at some point the furthest forward - now that's fluid! Quick interplay, drawing in your opponent rather than 'helping it on', interchanging positions, taking responsibility.

I know it's early days and we can properly judge after 10, 20, 30 games, but the signs are promising that this is a midfield that can do all the right things - pass, create, score AND tackle, head, defend. Multi purpose, multi dimensional. Thank Gawd!!

Thought Baldock's did really well for his goal and it was much more difficult than the tap in they made it sound on the radio.

On the other hand, his miss when he hits the post just before Wynter heads it onto the bar is a bit of a shocker.

On the radio and match reports they say the ball "bobbled" across the look line. To me it looked well struck on his weaker foot.

Archived