IGNORED

Best Signing This Summer

Briz

Whilst we can't see how the season'll pan out, it's undeniable that Burt and SOD have been incredibly organised in their transfer targets and we've got the players we wanted in quickly with minimum fuss. And without, for example, hanging about on Nyatanga or Alberrt to make decisions on their future first.

We've got a young squad of players with potential - one guy who's been in an England squad, two young guys from Premier League clubs, a solid defender from the league one, a mercurial talent from the league above and perhaps the highest-rated prospect from the division below. All before the start of the season and nearly all of them before the team returned for pre-season training. And the squad looks balanced with - bar the striker still to come - no obvious weaknesses.

Nobody wants to count their chickens yet but it's a world ahead of the previous two summers of delays and missed targets.

Getting SOD in was the best bit of business....to think people were slating him last season.

No matter how this season turns up, SOD is getting us playing football that we haven't seen at AG for years.

OK this is where I am re-SOD.

Love his ideas, his use of youth and his interviews, I like almost all of his signings and the way he has conducted his summer business and I think we are headed in the right direction for a change. However I personally need more convincing he can produce a consistent winning team, something he has failed to do at any of his jobs before.

So far a draw and a win is good (especially a cup win) Fielding’s mistake you cannot legislate for, so for me a good start and I hope it continues.

As for your post about this season not being about promotion, I beg to differ and I am sure the board and SOD himself would beg to differ, they have already said as much.

Love his ideas, his use of youth and his interviews, I like almost all of his signings and the way he has conducted his summer business and I think we are headed in the right direction for a change. However I personally need more convincing he can produce a consistent winning team, something he has failed to do at any of his jobs before.

So far a draw and a win is good (especially a cup win) Fielding’s mistake you cannot legislate for, so for me a good start and I hope it continues.

As for your post about this season not being about promotion, I beg to differ and I am sure the board and SOD himself would beg to differ, they have already said as much.

SOD has openly said that fans should reign in their expectations.

Yes I am sure he did say that, I suspect that was aimed at the people who actually believed that we were relegated with a squad bursting with championship talent and expected a league title by february. Also it is not what his employers are saying though and I suspect certain players didn't come here to tread water for a year.

Yes I am sure he did say that, I suspect that was aimed at the people who actually believed that we were relegated with a squad bursting with championship talent and expected a league title by february. Also it is not what his employers are saying though and I suspect certain players didn't come here to tread water for a year.

I think with the exception of Coventry and Gillingham most players would have that mentality....promotion hopefuls or not.

I expect JL would put pressure on promotion, and I wouldnt be at all surprised if SOD doesn't completely ignore it.

Getting SOD in was the best bit of business....to think people were slating him last season.

No matter how this season turns up, SOD is getting us playing football that we haven't seen at AG for years.

The Gillingham win wasn't at AG. Before that we'd gone ten games without a win. So bit of a big statement there.

• Admin

I've seen a few interviews where I have seen O'Driscoll refer to us as a good fit for him. I think Sean sees us as a club that has the will, the resources and more importantly the patience to allow him to build a team similar in style to the one he had at Doncaster.

I then think he believes that once we're back at Championship level we will be far better equipped to "compete" (to borrow a phrase that GJ used a lot) than he was able to do at Doncaster. That is to say we will be able to fight off offers for our better players for longer, be able to add to the squad more easily by having more resources & when we eventually do lose a better player, more of that transfer fee will be available to reinvest at 1st team level. He also sees the amount of cash we are throwing at the Academy and it follows (to him at least) that if we've got the right staff in place and good scouting at that level, that this will give him another good supply of quality players.

I honestly think he sees the patience we show managers (especially Johnson but even McInnes and Millen were given longer to turn things round than perhaps they'd have got elsewhere) and sees us as somewhere he's planning to stay for quite a while. Almost a chance for him to mould a whole football club in a Sir Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi kind of way.

What he says in public & what he says in private to the players are clearly 2 completely different things. It's clear from ALL the interviews with our new signings that he has been telling them that we're really going for automatic promotion back to the second tier at the first attempt this season.

And to those who have said Burt or O'Driscoll (including the OP!), have you not noticed the title asks for the best signing this Summer? Both of them were signed well prior to that :P

i certainly am a lot more confident going into this season compared to last year. the win against gillingham has restored my faith in city big time which was somewhat in tatters after watching what i believed to be our best players leaving early in the close season.

going up there doing them on their own turf with a clean sheet feels so much better than losing to them when we were 2 divisions above them last season.i never for one minute thought the replacement players could be better than the ones we lost given the situation we were in. however it is pleasing to know there is quite a bit of talent within the squad now,and if it all clicks together we could be a force to be worried about instead of an easy 3 points.

as for the topic heading,i cant say who might be the best signing yet,only time will tell that

I've seen a few interviews where I have seen O'Driscoll refer to us as a good fit for him. I think Sean sees us as a club that has the will, the resources and more importantly the patience to allow him to build a team similar in style to the one he had at Doncaster.

I then think he believes that once we're back at Championship level we will be far better equipped to "compete" (to borrow a phrase that GJ used a lot) than he was able to do at Doncaster. That is to say we will be able to fight off offers for our better players for longer, be able to add to the squad more easily by having more resources & when we eventually do lose a better player, more of that transfer fee will be available to reinvest at 1st team level. He also sees the amount of cash we are throwing at the Academy and it follows (to him at least) that if we've got the right staff in place and good scouting at that level, that this will give him another good supply of quality players.

I honestly think he sees the patience we show managers (especially Johnson but even McInnes and Millen were given longer to turn things round than perhaps they'd have got elsewhere) and sees us as somewhere he's planning to stay for quite a while. Almost a chance for him to mould a whole football club in a Sir Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi kind of wa

Hopefully as what he's doing will take time but it will be very good if it comes to fruition.

• Admin

The Gillingham win wasn't at AG. Before that we'd gone ten games without a win. So bit of a big statement there.

Before the Gillingham game we'd also gone almost 9 months without an away win, 4 years without a cup win. Most people agree it is still really early days but I think it was the manner of the performance at Gillingham, including what we have seen on the highlights, and achieved against a typically physical Martin Allen side that has people purring about the performance of SO'D. With the poor entertainment served up at AG over the last 5 years I think a lot of what is being said is in expectation influenced heavily by hope.

I hope all of the optimism is proved to be well placed. I'd love for us to be seen the same way in years to come as Swansea are now, a club that fans of football see have been a successful team, playing the game the right way.

I honestly think he sees the patience we show managers (especially Johnson but even McInnes and Millen were given longer to turn things round than perhaps they'd have got elsewhere) and sees us as somewhere he's planning to stay for quite a while. Almost a chance for him to mould a whole football club in a Sir Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi kind of way.

i'm sure you are correct and I am also sure Wilson, Tinnion, GJ, Coppell, Millen and DMC had the same vision, achieving it is a different matter completely and mostly in the hands of the players, who if they cannot be arsed perform in the way ours have for the past 4/5 years.

Archived