IGNORED

Orr/ Carey/ Mcombe/ Mcalister

Deanbcfc89

The flimsy one was a RESERVE and has never been a regular in a winning side for us, i dont no where some get the idea he was good at any stage, no pace, no footballing abillity, carried for years by an OUTSTANDING louis carey.

I thought that was a cracking back four but if my memory serves me correctly a lot of the opinions on here at the time went along the lines of:

Orr - distribution shocking

Carey - past it

Mccombe - speed and turning circle of an oil tanker

Mcaliister - see Orr

As I said not my opinion but maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

I was thinking how much we miss a player like Boom

That back four was great.

Indeed, Jamie 'boom boom' McCoombe would often be the one to head clear the dangerous crosses. A bit weak with his foot work at times but not surprising for such a tall defender. Orr, Carey, McCoombe and McAllister were our best back 4 combination of the last decade and no surprise they helped get us to a Wembley play-off final.

This defense carried an average team, not forgetting Basso, the last good keeper we had (henderson didnt play) to a promotion and 3 top 10 finishes one almost leading to promotion, i can see johnson building a similar solid foundation at yeovil for this year, could be back in for basso now, maybe he would be intrested in fontaine as he signed him???

Indeed, Jamie 'boom boom' McCoombe would often be the one to head clear the dangerous crosses. A bit weak with his foot work at times but not surprising for such a tall defender. Orr, Carey, McCoombe and McAllister were our best back 4 combination of the last decade and no surprise they helped get us to a Wembley play-off final.

of that back four carey,orr,Mcallister really liked a tackle,boom boom great in the air,but there was times when you wanted him to take the ball and player out.

don't think that was in him. lets give flint a chance,he could be McCoombe with a bit of a nasty streak.

This defense carried an average team, not forgetting Basso, the last good keeper we had (henderson didnt play) to a promotion and 3 top 10 finishes one almost leading to promotion, i can see johnson building a similar solid foundation at yeovil for this year, could be back in for basso now, maybe he would be intrested in fontaine as he signed him???

Gary Johnson also had a stroke of luck in being able to sign form players Byfield and Elliott from Millwall. I never understood why Darren Byfield fell from favour with Gary Johnson - a superb striker in my opinion.

True flint needs time and still beleive this season will take a while to start for us, disappointing all will be different if we beat wolves next week, i am also concerned we have invested so much in Fielding, 2 games seven goals not prommising but he could be a nervous starter

I thought that was a cracking back four but if my memory serves me correctly a lot of the opinions on here at the time went along the lines of:

Carey - past it

Mcaliister - see Orr

Your memory is spot on

The fact is city fans will never be 100% happy who ever we have in the team

Carey - past it

Mcaliister - see Orr

The primary job of defenders is to defend. You are not going to get too many Alves' and Beckenbauers at our level I'm afraid. These 4 were prepared to put their bodies on the line to keep the opposition out. Fontaine on the other hand seems to be terrified of physical contact and to regard marking his opponent as optional. And of course his distribution is dreadful too.

The primary job of defenders is to defend. You are not going to get too many Alves' and Beckenbauers at our level I'm afraid. These 4 were prepared to put their bodies on the line to keep the opposition out. Fontaine on the other hand seems to be terrified of physical contact and to regard marking his opponent as optional. And of course his distribution is dreadful too.

Indeed, the defensive stats for Orr, Carey, McCoombe and McAllister as a unit speak for themselves. We leaked relatively few goals with that back 4 combination. With Basso behind them that was a good defence at Championship level.

Carey - past it

Mcaliister - see Orr

I think your recollections are correct. At the time a lot of fans gave these players a bit of stick. Quite amazing really considering City didn’t concede many goals. I think this proves the old adage:

You can please some of the people all of the time

You can please all of the people some of the time

But you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Personally I think this back four, playing as they did in the Johnson era, would be great for City this season.

Archived