IGNORED

Baldock....8In3

biggythecity

I know he misses chances but at least he is in position to miss these chances,he has scored 3 we have scored 8 in 3 games,he works like a trojan and is a menace that ANY team in this league would have and will score 20+if he stays fit this year.Why do people see him as one of our problems,were a league one club now if he converted every chance he would be in the prem,lets look at more important problems eh!!(apart from these 6000000 Fonaine threads ofcourse!!)

Scored one of his 3 chances in the first half we could be looking at a win.....score one of 3 Chances against Bradford and we win.....he did neither.

7 in 2 games at the other end is a far bigger worry.

Baldock is doing fine.

Baldocks all round game so far has been good. He's getting in the positions he needs to and is getting his chances.

However, whilst I appreciate that a striker at this level is of course going to miss some chances, Sam seems to miss more than his fair share. 2 one on ones today which any striker worth his salt should have scored + 2 other good chances.

I'm not knocking Sam. As I said, he's really giving it a bloody good go so far this season, but I'm afraid he has to take a large slice of responsibility today - scored 2, but should have had 5 or 6. Stick that one on one away in the first 5 minutes and it's a very different game.

Scored one of his 3 chances in the first half we could be looking at a win.....score one of 3 Chances against Bradford and we win.....he did neither.

Sorry but we scored 4 goals. You can't blame our goal scoring for any of the result today. Same as Bradford scoring 2.

If we hadn't conceded 5 goals we would have won... If my Aunty was a man she'd be my Uncle... Facts are Mr Football knowledge, that he didn't, but, facts also stat that he is our top scorer and has scored 3 in 3. Why don't you focus on someone in the team that isn't doing their job rather than someone who clearly is.

Has got to improve his finishing. Yes he scored twice today but he missed 3 good chances first half and if he scores the sitter in the first minute we probably go and win comfortably.

Almost missed the first today too...

I am a fan of his but am a little concerned about his finishing lately.

Im amazed at some of the criticism he has been getting.

Anyone who plays or who has played football, knows a good striker is a striker who gets himself into positions where he will have chances.

Strikers wont take every chance, no matter how clear cut they may be....but as long as he keeps getting into positions where he is getting shots away, he will continue to score goals. He will hit 20+ this season if he keeps doing what hes doing

Confidence seems an issue with Sam. He was banging in some screamers in the warm up. He reminds me of Danny Haynes in that regard. A run of goals and there'll be no stopping him at this level. In the first half everything seemed to come off his knees Maybe longer legs would help?. He wasn't helped by long balls being played to him though. Over the top for him to chase onto, maybe, but he won't control a high ball played to him with a bigger defender at his back.

At least he's getting the chances to miss; there are plenty of City strikers in recent years who couldn't say the same, so that's something.

Agree with others; 3 goals and am assist in 3 games against league one opposition isn't bad, and though he might take a few chances to get his goals, that is a minor problem compared to the huge one of us shipping 7 goals in two league matches.

And I too remember a young lad called Andrew Cole getting pelters from the stands for 'missing more than he scored', so am willing to give Baldock the benefit of the doubt just now. The defence on the other hand...

He looks like he's trying too hard to me.

Too much intensity, he needs to relax more.

The defence lost us this game but Sam cannot be happy with his first half finishing. Through on goal twice at 0-0 and he didn't even test the keeper?!

I remain unconvinced by his finishing ability and whilst we have bigger concerns I just wonder if SOD might be thinking if he can get a BETTER striker in than Sam, not just an understudy...

Truly ridiculous argument. He shouldn't have to score a hat trick in every game to ensure we outscore the opposition.

I've never known anyone be so negative about a player whilst they are doing their job. You moan about Baldock more than Fontaine. One of them is doing their job.

Fair play to Baldock for getting stuck in and working, he obviously has to do alot of running with JET in the free-role he loves to play.

Depends which way you look at it - if we did score 7 every week, we wouldn't loose games no matter how calamatous the defence were, likewise, if we didn't concede any, we wouldn't loose games and would win a fair few.

One positive creatively yesterday was that we showed we have another string to our bow as a team; the passing football created the goals against Bradford and Gillingham and the high balls and targeting the box bagged 4 goals in 45 minutes.

the shift in formation was necessary but, as much as I hate route one, for once we had a plan B.

Baldock had a bizarre game yesterday imo. First-half he was dreadful, there's no getting away from it. His touch was poor the majority of the time, he wasted the decent openings he got and bar the fact that he kept on going and making runs (which is a good thing) he offered nothing. Then he goes and scores two goals in the second half, the second of which was a very well-taken goal.

I must admit I'm still not sure where I stand on Baldock. I don't have huge confidence in his ability to score goals when up front on his own as his first touch is poor. However he does have 3 games in the opening 3 games of the season which is a good return, and he was certainly a lot better in the second half yesterday when Taylor was able to act as the ball-winning forward. I really hope Baldock can have a great season for us and get the 20 goals so many people seem so confident he'll get (he's never scored more than 14 league goals in a season before, and that was in League 1) but there will certainly be times where he frustrates the hell out of you!

Last year Robin Van Persie had a 22% chance conversion rate, Luis Suarez had a chance conversion rate of 17%, Bale's was 16%.

If Baldock puts away 1 in 5 (20%) or 1 in 8 (12.5%) he's apparently doing ok, by the stat side of things.

This is all if I've understood it all correctly.

Careful, that sounds like a reasoned argument, supported by facts. That sort of stuff doesn't go down very well round here. :laugh:

What annoys me about baldock is he misses the target when he should and fails to test the keeper when he does,

I hold my hands up as I said he wasn't a poacher and on Sunday both his goals were him gambling and a good finish on the second one, If he keeps doing that he could get 20 goals, I still feel he needs to improve on some aspects of his game

Archived