IGNORED

Pick The Team

where's the joy

lets see if we can reach agreement on this forum as to the best team we could put out and find a way to make that known to SOD.

so here's the IN........assuming 4-4-2

parish

moloney, flint, williams, cunningham

wynter, elliott, Jet,pack

baldock, harewood

and here's the OUT

fontaine

fielding

kilkenny

Can't argue with that.

GK Fielding

RB Maloney

CB Flint

CB Williams

LB Cunningham

CDM Pack

CDM Wynter

RM Wagstaff

LM Bryan

CF/CAM JET

--------------GK

RB------CB----CB-------LB

---------CDM--CDM--------

RM-------------------------LM

-------------------CF----------

----------ST--------------------

My best XI assuming everyone is fit:

4-3-1-2

GK: Fielding

RB: Moloney

CB: Flint

CB: Williams

LB: Cunningham

CDM: Wynter

CM: Pack

CM: Elliott

CF/CAM: JET

ST: Baldock

ST: Taylor

I feel that this is the most balanced team we can play with going forward. MIDFIELD: Having Wynter sitting in front of the back 4, Pack there to spray the ball about and over the top to Baldock and Elliott there to win the ball in the air, maybe grab a goal and just generally be a nuisance to the opposition would work well i think. STRIKERS: JET there to supply flair, Baldock for pace and for darting and deceiving runs and Taylor can hold the ball up and supply lay offs to Baldock.

I think we'll see a 3-5-2. Might not be what I'd pick, but I'd expect to see this: (if Carey's fit!)

-------------------------Fielding

--------Carey---------Flint---------Fontaine

Moloney-------------Pack----------Cunningham

-------------Wynter-------Kilkenny

------------------------JET

---------------------Baldock

Subs: Wagstaff, Parish, Reid, Bryan, Williams, Taylor, Elliot.

Actually, not far off what I'd pick. Pack, Wynter and Killa can all play a pass. Jet can be free to cause havoc, and Flint and Carey can beat the sh!t out of Fontaine when he makes a mistake.

All this is putting a lot of pressure on Williams - I'm all for giving him a chance this weekend (and I think we have to do so) but I think it's a bit premature including him in our "best" XI (admittedly I can't see the other options, mind, unless we want Carey and Flint and one of the slowest centre-back pairings in the division - although I guess that was also true of Carey and McCombe when we came up before.)

That said, the team I'd go for on Saturday would include Williams (unless Carey's fit, in which I'd try a Carey and Flint pairing).

I think I'd possibly play something between a 4-4-1-1 and a 4-5-1 with an element of fluidity so JET operates between the right-wing and behind the striker with Wynter moving across to cover the right-side defensively when JET drifts into the middle and Wynter staying in the middle when JET is out wide

so something that can vary between these two formations depending on the needs of the game...

-------------------------------Fielding

Moloney---------Flint----------------Williams-----------------Cunningham

-----------------------------Kilkenny

------------------Wynter--------------Pack-------------------Bryan

----JET

-----------------------------Baldock

And

-------------------------------Fielding

Moloney---------Flint----------------Williams-----------------Cunningham

Wynter------------Kilkenny-------------Pack-------------------Bryan

--------------------------------JET

-----------------------------Baldock

And maybe, when really under the cosh...
-----------------------------Fielding
--------------Flint---------Williams--------Cunningham
Moloney-----------------------------------------------------------Bryan
-----------Wynter-------Kilkenny-----------Pack
---------------------------JET
--------------------------Baldock
(I accept Cunningham moving to LCB isn't ideal here btw but I think flexibility is crucial, rather than just thinking of a 'set' formation and sticking to it.)

-----------------------------------------------Parrish--------------------------------------------------

Moloney-----------------Flint----------------------------------Williams-------------Cunningham

------------------------------Wynter-------------------Elliot/Pack-----------------------------------

Wagstaff---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan

------------------------------------------------JET-----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------Baldock----------------------------------------------------

I reckon Parrish would be worth a go. Fielding looks dodgy and prone to mistakes.

And couldn't choose between Pack and Elliot because both players would be useful in different scenarios

Archived