IGNORED

Thoughts On Saturday And The Way We're Headed

nedbcfc

Nice article, if only it were that simple, but I admire your optimism, as mine has completely deserted me with this club.

As we know from past experience, you've got to win the physical side of the game first, at any level in order to be able to play this way.

Unfortunately as this is Bristol City anything is possible, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there's another relegation battle looming.

The reason being, how can you slash the wage budget and quality of players and expect success?

It ain't going to happen, although we all know our so called quality players were far from it, time will tell if their replacements fare any better.

I think Shaun O'driscoll has a job and a half on his hands, with the cards he's been given just to steady the ship.

Any youngsters will need time to see if they sink or swim, it'd be lovely to forge such a side, but at the moment I fear the worst.

I've been eternaly optomistic with City, but after over 40 years I have none left.

I do agree with the physical battle being lost upfront. As the season develops I would like to see us use more technical and less physical force from the start. Harewood is a good short term back up plan, but I would like to see us bring in a target man and maybe another wide man just in case we have to sink to a more simple gameplan in scrappy games.

The reason for my optimism is the young players who are coming in are tailored to the style SO'D is aiming for. Pack and Wynter are great players for this level and the defence are capable of putting a pass in as well as being physical.

Success for me would be a return to the championship within 3 or 4 years through the same style, and then as a championship club we'd be able to attract better players (of a similar mould) while keeping with the same ideologies and aims, then see where we go.

Obviously that's in an ideal world, so anything could happen!

Archived