IGNORED

John Ward Reception 4Th Sept

allyolly

I remeber him coming into B block of the Dolman (int he good old days!) and shaking hands and walking throught he rst of the Dolman on I think was his last match, can't remeber who we were playing though. For me he is a good guy, did a job for us don't love or hate him.

Bolton I think it was; we won 2-1?

Regardless of what happened with Ward here, he's now in charge of them lot again, so there we are...

He sealed his own deal here and imo was not treated at all unfairly.

As I understand it he admitted publicly he was out of ideas and went to the board and said 'I need help'. He had hoped Lawrence would be appointed as DoF, but instead the board held an interview process and decided Benny was the best candidate. Ward threw his toys out of the pram as he didn't get his mate and the rest is history.

Credit to Ward at least he held his hands up and admitted he was out of his depth. Respect is due if only for that. Shot himself in the foot the way he reacted to Benny coming in. Reminds me much like Rooney, handing in a transfer request because no new players were signed, and when United did just that he is now sulking as he is no longer top dog.

Albeit a different topic I think one of the worst decisions we made as a football club was ousting Benny L. Whilst he couldn't save us that season and we were on the end of some drubbings you could see exactly what he was trying to do. He had the kids playing properly, he brought on some of our players fantastically (Jim Brennan) and made some exciting signings in the transfer market. Much like many advocate sticking with SOD for his 'project' I think we should have stuck with Benny at the time. Had we I think we would have made real progress not only as a team but as a club.

Not quite what happened, but not far off. The bit I'd dispute is that the club held an interview process - as far as I know, they didn't. Ward was not consulted about the Lennartson appointment, which was outrageous. In effect he was forced out.

Such gratitude for sparing your blushes & keeping your lot in the football league last season!

But I wouldn't expect anything less from the greatest fans in the world, loyal rotten to the core and all that

You would have him back then?

I think he was always over rated. Rovers fans forget we actually got relegated from what is now The Championship with him when he joined with plenty of time to save us. We did get to the play offs under him, but it was watching some incredibly tedious football. Last season he was exactly the right bloke at exactly the right time for us, and I suspect we would be in the conference now if it weren't for him.

At the tail end of last season (after we were safe, and just before some poor deluded fools thought we might make the play offs) we reverted to type and it was hard to watch, but as we had pulled off a pretty impressive escape no one was too worried.

I missed Exeter away this season, but by all accounts it was pretty dreadful, S****horpe at home the following week was an incredibly difficult game to watch, when I turned to my mate to ask how long left and he said 'another 28 minutes yet' I could have cried. Newport on Saturday was about as bad as it gets.

Yes I'm grateful for what John Ward did last season, this doesn't mean I think he should have a job for life with us. If football was like that you'd still be managed by Alan Dicks.

I remeber him coming into B block of the Dolman (int he good old days!) and shaking hands and walking throught he rst of the Dolman on I think was his last match, can't remeber who we were playing though. For me he is a good guy, did a job for us don't love or hate him.

I Was there and was impressed by this (Tony Useless never did that strangely )

Also, one day ,coming out of the ground ,hé nearly ran me over in his green Mondeo ( wonder what today's managers would think of that for a company car ? ) but being a true gent stopped to let us pass.

Iam sure that at Rovers he drives an equally "flash" car with perhaps a caravan attached and now would n't hesitate for a second to crush anyone who happened to be in his way...booooo

That's the Gas for you

;0)

Not quite what happened, but not far off. The bit I'd dispute is that the club held an interview process - as far as I know, they didn't. Ward was not consulted about the Lennartson appointment, which was outrageous. In effect he was forced out.

That's how I remember it. Pretty sure he wanted to bring in Ray Harford.

You would have him back then?

I think he was always over rated. Rovers fans forget we actually got relegated from what is now The Championship with him when he joined with plenty of time to save us. We did get to the play offs under him, but it was watching some incredibly tedious football. Last season he was exactly the right bloke at exactly the right time for us, and I suspect we would be in the conference now if it weren't for him.

At the tail end of last season (after we were safe, and just before some poor deluded fools thought we might make the play offs) we reverted to type and it was hard to watch, but as we had pulled off a pretty impressive escape no one was too worried.

I missed Exeter away this season, but by all accounts it was pretty dreadful, S****horpe at home the following week was an incredibly difficult game to watch, when I turned to my mate to ask how long left and he said 'another 28 minutes yet' I could have cried. Newport on Saturday was about as bad as it gets.

Yes I'm grateful for what John Ward did last season, this doesn't mean I think he should have a job for life with us. If football was like that you'd still be managed by Alan Dicks.

No thanks, FWIW I thought Ward did a decent job at city and was one of the people who thought he could turn it around had he had been given more time.

But I'm more than happy with the appointment of SOD and what he is trying to achieve here....even though our start hasn't been exactly brilliant in terms of results, I still believe. Whereas some of the blue few are already muttering about Wards future ;)

Lets be honest Bringing Benny in was one of the worst decisions ever by this club. He was a complete joke although a nice man. Most teams when a new man takes over get a bit of a lift we then lost 6-1 and 5-0 in our next 2 games!

Lets be honest Bringing Benny in was one of the worst decisions ever by this club. He was a complete joke although a nice man. Most teams when a new man takes over get a bit of a lift we then lost 6-1 and 5-0 in our next 2 games!

Complete joke? His coaching career has seen him in the Olympics, the European Championships, the World Cup and domestic European cup competitions.

Even stranger remark that when the bloke who succeeded him was Tony Pulis. Also didn't the club ask Benny to come back?

I don't think this is exactly fair on Benny. We started playing some good football under him. He brought through Brennan, Phillips & bought Tisti if my memory serves me correctly. He wasn't brought in to be manager so was thrown in the deepend to take over a side with a very poor defence.

Ward walked out after he asked for help expecting Ray Harford and he got Benny. Maybe if he'd have stuck around and learned something he wouldn't be managing the laughing stock of the football league.

To all the youngsters on the forum he wasn't sacked and he wasn't forced out. The board held him in high regard and seriously thought he and Benny would make a great team.

Ward walked out after he asked for help expecting Ray Harford and he got Benny. Maybe if he'd have stuck around and learned something he wouldn't be managing the laughing stock of the football league.

To all the youngsters on the forum he wasn't sacked and he wasn't forced out. The board held him in high regard and seriously thought he and Benny would make a great team.

Pity they didn't consult him :(

I'd have walked if my employer did that to me.

Scott Davidson did a lot of very good things during his time as chairman, unfortunately he did like to interfere with team matters, that he had no right to. If Ward had wanted Ray Hartford then he should of gone all out to of got him, not bringing in a Scandinavian with no experience in the English game and who's tenure was even more disastrous than the both Millen and McInnes's were.

I thoroughly despise the gypsies and their piece of sh1t fans, but ive always liked John Ward. Hes got a touch of the Sir Bobbys about hi. In his conduct and manner. I certainly wont clap him on the evening, but he warrants no abuse either.

Regardless of who he manages, Holloway is a ******* **** who I wouldnt piss on.

Ward most certainly isnt and even though he manages the sh!t eating tramps, I'll not boo him, he doesnt deserve it and did much for this club that deserves respect.

Would be harsh to boo one of the few managers to have got us promotion.

Millen up soon as well, wonder what reception he'll get ?

He'll no doubt provoke a highly emotional response, given his charismatic and passionate tenure at the club.

Funny but as I remember it, we were promoted despite having JW as manager. He was a very popular figure, as shown with his foray into the crowd. He seems to be a real nice guy and a good coach or assistant.

The start of our promotion season was awful as I remember it, we played with a sweeper system and were boring to watch with poor to modest resultsl. Come the end of September or early October, we reverted to a 442 system and never looked back until the end of the season. Just when we should have been going for the title we again reverted to his preferred sweeper system, which saw us limp over the line.

We then invested heavily in the striker side of things and brought the pussy Julian Watts in, to replace Shaun Taylor, a difficult job to say the least and a joke of a midfielder from Brentford. As people have said, he was quoted as saying he'd run out of Ideas and needed help.

As for Benny, what a brilliant coach he was. He did a great job of bringing the team together and turning them from whipping boys to nearly avoiding the dreaded relegation. The two games at the start of his tenure were more an indication of the players being upset at the loss of their friendly manager who'd no Idea how to change things, rather than his team who he'd only been brought in as a coach anyway. Too many people look for someone to blame rather than the reason for failure, unfortunately with a name associated with a dimwit from a soap opera the blame merchants had their man and mr smiley was forever reverred.

No I won't clap or boo, I save my actions for during and after the game, such as applauding at the time someone does well for our club.

Pity they didn't consult him :(

I'd have walked if my employer did that to me.

Lots of times in my long career I have had to experience a re-org with a new boss. Some I got on with some I didn't but like most people I'd give it a go to see if it worked not just walk out. Maybe Wardy was looking for a way out and here was his excuse.

A few people have made reference to JW's visits to the Dolman and seem to think that they were some 'man of the people' thing. Just to clear this up a bit: JW used to go to Doman block B to see Keith Dawe, who used to sit there rather than in the Directors' box. If he had to shake hands with a few people en route then all well and good, but let's not get make this something it wasn't.

Also as others have said he wasn't sacked - he'd said that he'd needed help but walked when he didn't agree with Davidson about who was to be brought in.

No booing fron me, BTW - he did alright by us for a while even if, like many others, if he did run our of steam and ideas.

Scott Davidson did a lot of very good things during his time as chairman, unfortunately he did like to interfere with team matters, that he had no right to. If Ward had wanted Ray Hartford then he should of gone all out to of got him, not bringing in a Scandinavian with no experience in the English game and who's tenure was even more disastrous than the both Millen and McInnes's were.

Lets not forget Harford had just been relieved of duties at QPR the only club below us in the league at the time

A few people have made reference to JW's visits to the Dolman and seem to think that they were some 'man of the people' thing. Just to clear this up a bit: JW used to go to Doman block B to see Keith Dawe, who used to sit there rather than in the Directors' box. If he had to shake hands with a few people en route then all well and good, but let's not get make this something it wasn't.

Also as others have said he wasn't sacked - he'd said that he'd needed help but walked when he didn't agree with Davidson about who was to be brought in.

No booing fron me, BTW - he did alright by us for a while even if, like many others, if he did run our of steam and ideas.

I seem to remember JW also doing a few wanderings into the crowd at away games too. Certainly saw him in the old supporters club bar too. Maybe he was just good at PR but it was definitely welcomed at the time.

Archived