IGNORED

Anyone Watching Psv Vs Milan?

Brizzle Jordan

My dream is for Bristol City to be similar to this PSV side one day

Average age of just over 22, many are home-grown and some even youth products.

Fast, energic football which creates plenty of chances and good football.

Supporters who understand they are young and need backing instead of moaning at mistakes.

The Dutch and PSV model won't work in the UK due to lack of quality coaching. PSV and the rest look to nurture talent well before nine. Five points of the foot is being taught at two!! That's how the talent is created.

My dream is for Bristol City to be similar to this PSV side one day

Average age of just over 22, many are home-grown and some even youth products.

Fast, energic football which creates plenty of chances and good football.

Supporters who understand they are young and need backing instead of moaning at mistakes.

There was me thinking your dream would be for city to be a very close 2nd

to your beloved Real Madrid

went to this game last night......atmosphere was amazing with the whole ground getting massively behind the young team. Speed and standard of play was at the highest level for long periods.

Sat thinking.....would it not be amazing to see our home grown academy kids giving a top European team a hard time in new and sold-out stadium....and no I had not just been to a Dutch Coffee shop before somebody asks!

Then reality struck.....1 - coaching of kids in the UK is well behind Dutch standards. 2 - standard of facilities is also a world apart. I live in a town of just over 16,000 people where the local council has spent more than two million euros on three artificial pitches, lighting for these and one of the three other grass pitches and an expansion to 18 changing rooms.....and all of this dedicated to football only. The club plays 6 levels below the level played by PSV.....

Unless something massive happens in the way sport is approached and funded in the UK my dream of seeing City youngsters face up to AC Milan will never become reality....

went to this game last night......atmosphere was amazing with the whole ground getting massively behind the young team. Speed and standard of play was at the highest level for long periods.

Sat thinking.....would it not be amazing to see our home grown academy kids giving a top European team a hard time in new and sold-out stadium....and no I had not just been to a Dutch Coffee shop before somebody asks!

Then reality struck.....1 - coaching of kids in the UK is well behind Dutch standards. 2 - standard of facilities is also a world apart. I live in a town of just over 16,000 people where the local council has spent more than two million euros on three artificial pitches, lighting for these and one of the three other grass pitches and an expansion to 18 changing rooms.....and all of this dedicated to football only. The club plays 6 levels below the level played by PSV.....

Unless something massive happens in the way sport is approached and funded in the UK my dream of seeing City youngsters face up to AC Milan will never become reality....

I made similar points about coaching in a thread about the top tier. I watched Feynoords U7's v Willem II u7's before a game over there and the standard was breathtakingly high. Six year old kids playing pass and move and being two footed.

If you want beautiful football, if you want kids with technique and skill you start with them at two, three ... Dutch players are that good because of a national responsibility to make it so.

As has been said, the mentality here is all wrong.

I've known kids from The Netherlands, or South America, who are taught from the first time they kick a ball to nurture it every time they have possession. To be technical and play with freedom.

In the UK it's always about being strong, being brave. Why be two-footed if your right foot can kick it 30 yards when you're 10 years old? Why learn to read the game when you are so good at diving into a tackle? Why learn to control a ball when you'll be playing on a mudfield in the middle of December and barely touch the football? Why risk playing that pass into your team-mate and potentially feel the wrath of ignorant parents or coaches when you can dump the ball into the channel up field and hear a ripple of applause?

Coaching at a professional level is thankfully starting to leave this behind, but it needs the nation to wake up and change their outlook for it to become ingrained in our culture.

Sad but true about your comment...."In the UK it's always about being strong, being brave." Saw Bakkali outside the stadium before PSV-AC Milan last night.....Chelsea, Man City and others are all allegedly after him....youngest player (he's 17) ever to score a hat-trick in the Dutch Eredivise etc....he is 5 foot 5 inches and slightly built.....would no doubt have been ditched in England because he was too small - but then he would probably never have had the technical skills training when he was smaller in England to escape the hard animals who are considered good players.....

Archived