IGNORED

Positive

italian dave

Back from MK, feeling really upbeat and positive, turn on OTIB, and reading some of the threads I wonder if I'm supporting the same club.

We've got a manager who, for the first time in years, seems to have a plan for where he wants to take the club, and who's staying true to his word and his ideals in putting it into pratctice. Someone who doesn't just come out with a load of platitudes, but who explains what he sees and what he's doing - and make sense of what I'm seeing happening on the pitch.

Amongst other things, he's serious about the clear out that the club needs: for the first time in years we're seeing real changes in the side, and it feels like there's a strategy and a plan to that: we're not just signing random players in desperation - we're signing players to do a particular job, and who can sign up to the culture and the system that he's trying to bring to the club. The last couple of sides we've put out have had a significant majority of players involved who are new to the club (ie joined in the past year). And, along with a couple of our own youngsters, who we're giving a real chance to at long long last.

Not surprisingly, that's going to take some time to bed in - for the players to understand what SOD wants, and to deliver it, and for SOD to know whether they can do it - he won't always make the right call. But I felt today there were real signs of that starting to happen. It won't go up in a straight line from here - there wil be more setbacks, and more mistakes - but the overall trend seem to me very much on the up. I'm not expecting us to get consistent about it until the new year at least - but it's about putting the foundations in place, and I really think we're doing that.

We played well - for spells we passed the ball around well, we kept a good shape, and for a lot of the game stopped them playing the way they wanted to. And we more than matched a very good footballing side. It was hard to see their goals from where we were sat, but the first one looked to me like it was just a very good goal. Second looked like we went to sleep - from the way JET lost it cheaply in the middle through to not picking up runners at the back. And we held on to the point - no more goals in the last 5 minutes - very happy to see Fielding taking his time!

And, if we'd been given the stonewall penalty we should have had, or if Baldock had converted the easiest chance he had all game, we could have won - against a side thats not going to lose many this season.

But most of all I really enjoyed watching the game, and watching City away. And that's also a first for a long long time. Last season I almost gave up going away - it was such a waste of time, such a depressing experience. The football was dire - and at places like Blackburn, 2 down after 20 minutes and there was just no way we were going to put up any sort of fight - may as well just go home.

But all four games this season have been enjoyable, and good to watch - and that's such a change too. I'm looking forward to matches again!

So, sorry to spoil all the negativity around - but I'm feeling better about the future tonight than I have done for years.

Back from MK, feeling really upbeat and positive, turn on OTIB, and reading some of the threads I wonder if I'm supporting the same club.

We've got a manager who, for the first time in years, seems to have a plan for where he wants to take the club, and who's staying true to his word and his ideals in putting it into pratctice. Someone who doesn't just come out with a load of platitudes, but who explains what he sees and what he's doing - and make sense of what I'm seeing happening on the pitch.

Amongst other things, he's serious about the clear out that the club needs: for the first time in years we're seeing real changes in the side, and it feels like there's a strategy and a plan to that: we're not just signing random players in desperation - we're signing players to do a particular job, and who can sign up to the culture and the system that he's trying to bring to the club. The last couple of sides we've put out have had a significant majority of players involved who are new to the club (ie joined in the past year). And, along with a couple of our own youngsters, who we're giving a real chance to at long long last.

Not surprisingly, that's going to take some time to bed in - for the players to understand what SOD wants, and to deliver it, and for SOD to know whether they can do it - he won't always make the right call. But I felt today there were real signs of that starting to happen. It won't go up in a straight line from here - there wil be more setbacks, and more mistakes - but the overall trend seem to me very much on the up. I'm not expecting us to get consistent about it until the new year at least - but it's about putting the foundations in place, and I really think we're doing that.

We played well - for spells we passed the ball around well, we kept a good shape, and for a lot of the game stopped them playing the way they wanted to. And we more than matched a very good footballing side. It was hard to see their goals from where we were sat, but the first one looked to me like it was just a very good goal. Second looked like we went to sleep - from the way JET lost it cheaply in the middle through to not picking up runners at the back. And we held on to the point - no more goals in the last 5 minutes - very happy to see Fielding taking his time!

And, if we'd been given the stonewall penalty we should have had, or if Baldock had converted the easiest chance he had all game, we could have won - against a side thats not going to lose many this season.

But most of all I really enjoyed watching the game, and watching City away. And that's also a first for a long long time. Last season I almost gave up going away - it was such a waste of time, such a depressing experience. The football was dire - and at places like Blackburn, 2 down after 20 minutes and there was just no way we were going to put up any sort of fight - may as well just go home.

But all four games this season have been enjoyable, and good to watch - and that's such a change too. I'm looking forward to matches again!

So, sorry to spoil all the negativity around - but I'm feeling better about the future tonight than I have done for years.

Very well said mate.

you can't win with some on here. Everyone moans that we don't play the kids, but then when we do we don't have the experience etc and so on....

It's almost as if people on here feel we have a god given right for things to go well just because we've had a bad few years. It doesn't work like that sadly. Just like things don't happen over night. Again....just because we have been crap defensively doesn't mean clicking your fingers will change it.

All this crying about 'how we have had it so bad for 3 or 4 years now' is just boring. Why do people keep banging on about the past and comparing SOD to other managers. Under Coppell, Millen, DMC did we have a clear vision? Did we have an average age of 22 as a starting 11 most weeks? Did we have a completely new strategy in place? Were we blooding youth? It's all just a little pathetic to be honest. We have 42 games left and everyone is completely over reacting surprise surprise....

Agreed - well put!

1 18 August Portsmouth 1–1 Bournemouth Fratton Park [show]

2 21 August Bournemouth 1–1 Milton Keynes Dons Dean Court [show]

3 25 August Bournemouth 1–1 Preston North End Dean Court [show]

4 1 September Sheffield United 5–3 Bournemouth Bramall Lane [show]

5 8 September Yeovil Town 0–1 Bournemouth Huish Park [show]

6 15 September Bournemouth 1–1 Hartlepool United Dean Court [show]

7 18 September Bournemouth 2–2 Brentford Dean Court [show]

8 22 September Swindon Town 4–0 Bournemouth County Ground [show]

9 29 September Bournemouth 1–2 Walsall Dean Court [show]

10 3 October Crawley Town 3–1 Bournemouth Broadfield Stadium [show]

11 6 October Coventry City 1–0 Bournemouth Ricoh Arena [show]

12 13 October Bournemouth 2–0 Leyton Orient Dean Court [show]

I guess Bournemouth forgot about their bad start.........football is so fickle!!

Maybe..... Some positive signs, but also some worrying ones. Not impressed with Fielding, both full backs look out of sorts, midfield is far too lightweight and the team relies heavily on JET and Baldock, with very little depth. Early days and team very new, but there are worrying signs, and if we all carry on claiming all is well and it's all part of a masterplan, we could just sleepwalk into the basement. To me, the youth look like they need better old heads around them.

The Bournemouth comparison is irrelevant, they spent heavily and had a very good squad with a clueless manager. Howe just got the team playing as they should, and instilled belief. I work closely with two Cherries fans, totally different scenario.

Bryan ,Reid and baldock the 3 standout players .Jet awful and the laziest ,Marvin too fizzled out,wag staff unnoticed ,fielding a world class save but likes to punch not save and the worst............the ref.But you have to say,one of the best grounds,priced food and drink and a breeze to get away after.

Maybe..... Some positive signs, but also some worrying ones. Not impressed with Fielding, both full backs look out of sorts, midfield is far too lightweight and the team relies heavily on JET and Baldock, with very little depth. Early days and team very new, but there are worrying signs, and if we all carry on claiming all is well and it's all part of a masterplan, we could just sleepwalk into the basement. To me, the youth look like they need better old heads around them.

Fielding - agree that he's yet to convince, but I think he's gaining in confidence - and some great saves past two games. But like I said it won't all come together at once. Full backs - like I said, SOD will not always get it right first time - but he's got two full backs on trial at the moment and for me that's another reason to be positive - he can see where the weaknesses are and (unlike previous managers who'd have played a CB there) deals with it. JET, don't agree: I love the guy, but today was his weakest game for us and plenty of the chances came from elsewhere. Anyway, that's like saying that Barcelona have a problem becasue they rely on Messi for their goals! Yes, we rely on him - but plenty of other sides would love to be in that position. Older heads - like Harewood? And look at the slating he got on here when we signed him! But I'm sure that SOD brought him in not to play every week but just becasue of the influence he can be on some of the ounger players.

I agree the garden's not all rosy - but last 4 seasons: worrying signs 95%, positive signs 5%. This season: worrying signs 20%, positive signs 80% for me!

1 18 August Portsmouth 1–1 Bournemouth Fratton Park [show]

2 21 August Bournemouth 1–1 Milton Keynes Dons Dean Court [show]

3 25 August Bournemouth 1–1 Preston North End Dean Court [show]

4 1 September Sheffield United 5–3 Bournemouth Bramall Lane [show]

5 8 September Yeovil Town 0–1 Bournemouth Huish Park [show]

6 15 September Bournemouth 1–1 Hartlepool United Dean Court [show]

7 18 September Bournemouth 2–2 Brentford Dean Court [show]

8 22 September Swindon Town 4–0 Bournemouth County Ground [show]

9 29 September Bournemouth 1–2 Walsall Dean Court [show]

10 3 October Crawley Town 3–1 Bournemouth Broadfield Stadium [show]

11 6 October Coventry City 1–0 Bournemouth Ricoh Arena [show]

12 13 October Bournemouth 2–0 Leyton Orient Dean Court [show]

I guess Bournemouth forgot about their bad start.........football is so fickle!!

Bournemouth also went on to make probably the signing of the season at that level - what was it 19 goals in 26 games for Pitman?

A season changing player SO'D would dearly love to have at BCFC.

Disastrously mismanaged by 2 successive City managers and sent packing to immediately thrive again elsewhere.

It remains one of football's great mysteries how BCFC always manage to find a way to cock things up in spectacular fashion.

Archived