IGNORED

What To Expect This Season

Cobby

As seen is previous topics , it's come to my attention that some fans are unaware of what O'Driscoll applies in his interviews and the new philosophy of the club. Therefore there is one easy explanation , a season of rebuilding. We have gone from a transition of having a average aged squad of 27 to 23 in 3 months , meaning that realistically promotion will not be likely this year. However , the years experience of playing first team football for out younger and upcoming talents will only help us for promotion after this. I hope this helps.

The simple fact is if we fail to get promoted, we will lose JET and Baldock. So next season if we don't go up, do we start rebuilding again? I think this rebuilding tactic will only sit with fans for a short time, we have replaced a lot of the squad from last season already. How long do we continue rebuilding before we end up losing our best players?

It's a fine balance between managing the transition and moving forward - we need to balance both. But we have to accept that for the first half of the season, we're going to be a bit disjointed.

If JET and Baldock leave, then that's unfortunate but so be it. There is a bigger picture.

The simple fact is if we fail to get promoted, we will lose JET and Baldock. So next season if we don't go up, do we start rebuilding again? I think this rebuilding tactic will only sit with fans for a short time, we have replaced a lot of the squad from last season already. How long do we continue rebuilding before we end up losing our best players?

But it will be easier to target and recruit players to replace them if that does happen because we will have a way of playing and know what we need to fit into that even if we can't quite get the same level of ability as JET has for example. We haven't had a style of playing for three years so we've just bought loads of players we hoped would fit together and it hasn't worked. The rebuilding that's going on is about developing a way of doing things, including bringing our own kids through.

Look at Peterborough, sell Gayle buy the Watford lad and they're replacing like for like because they know what they need. We could get promoted and still lose JET and Baldock if they do amazing this season, it's the way we do things not the actual players that is the biggest thing. Man Utd do it brilliantly - they look at if they've got anyone coming through who can replace sold players and if not they buy a player that fits in with the Man Utd way of doing things.

But it will be easier to target and recruit players to replace them if that does happen because we will have a way of playing and know what we need to fit into that even if we can't quite get the same level of ability as JET has for example. We haven't had a style of playing for three years so we've just bought loads of players we hoped would fit together and it hasn't worked. The rebuilding that's going on is about developing a way of doing things, including bringing our own kids through.

Look at Peterborough, sell Gayle buy the Watford lad and they're replacing like for like because they know what they need. We could get promoted and still lose JET and Baldock if they do amazing this season, it's the way we do things not the actual players that is the biggest thing. Man Utd do it brilliantly.

Exactly this, now we know the style we want to play , recruitment to replace such players and positions will be easier and more rewarding

Exactly this, now we know the style we want to play , recruitment to replace such players and positions will be easier and more rewarding

..... added to the fact we've already had players join us this season who have stated that knowing they'd be playing under S'OD was one of their main reasons for joining us.

He's a well respected manager and as long as we show some real progress by the end of the season, I doubt we'll have too much trouble getting replacements for players that may want to move on.

As seen is previous topics , it's come to my attention that some fans are unaware of what O'Driscoll applies in his interviews and the new philosophy of the club. Therefore there is one easy explanation , a season of rebuilding. We have gone from a transition of having a average aged squad of 27 to 23 in 3 months , meaning that realistically promotion will not be likely this year. However , the years experience of playing first team football for out younger and upcoming talents will only help us for promotion after this. I hope this helps.

As I stated in a previous thread, I don't think anybody in their right mind expects promotion this year. However, it is not unreasonable to expect a mid-table finish and not be involved in a back-to-back relegation struggle.

After 4 games, I am not aware of any real improvement in the side over last season - that's what worries people. O'Driscoll may have the right plan when it comes to rebuilding and the right philosophy when it come to tactics and game plans, but unless his players start undertsnading what he wants and how he wants it done, I fear we could be in for another season of struggle - and nobody wants that!

I think this says it all it's by cynic from another thread, i've highlighted the most important bit, heard it all before and most recently from Wilson, Tinnion, Johnson, Coppell, Millen, DMC and SOD, the club needs this the club needs that blah, blah, blah, I don't want a change of course I don't and I hope he is correct but I am not and never will be blinded by management speak, most of the people who hang on SOD's every word were the same people who did the same with all of the above mentioned and it reminds me about of the quote from the life of Brian:-

Brian: I am NOT the Messiah!

Arthur: I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few.

I hope he's the chosen one but for me I will reserve judgement and leave the undying belief to others of course until the next one comes along, ditto I hope this helps.

"To be fair, I've heard it all before and I can't blame people for being a bit negative (although there are some on here that take delight in seeing the club fail and they can just FO).

A local chippie used to have a sign which said "free chips tomorrow" and that sort of sums up City.

Tomorrow never happens - 40m chucked at it and we're back to square one.

Its just been promises with no substance or planning for god knows how long.

Well, maybe, just maybe, this new approach and recognition of past failures will put us on the right track. Getting shot of the abject failures masquerading as professional footballers is a good start, as is bringing in younger and hungrier players who are keen to listen and learn and grateful for a first team place. And bringing in older professionals worthy of the name is also a good thing - Harewood, and hopefully Shorey for instance.

Off the pitch there is certainly a determination to get things right but this ticketing issue is a buggeration factor which takes away from other notable achievements like the upgrading of the training facilities and the cat2 academy status, as well as the cheaper sts and ticket prices. The redevelopment of AG/AV is another plus point once planning is resolved one way or the other.

So we're not going down the same route by bumbling along signing "names" for huge salaries and rewarding failure with new contracts for the old lags, and hiking prices to pay for it along with chucking SLs dosh at it. There is a plan, a strategy which we've not had before (which FFP has given impetus) and which takes into account previous failures and how not to make those mistakes again.

I'm in the camp that says we are now travelling in the right direction and I'm more confident of the future than I have been for what seems like decades. I'm therefore willing to buy into it (and have done so) - it won't be overnight, it'll certainly take the rest of this season to see any progress on and off the pitch and possibly next season as well. But as long as I see progression and players trying to play decent football and taking responsibility for their performances, I'll be happy".

I expect to finish this season mid table, with signs of progress being shown.

I do understand the 'its always jam tomorrow', argument, and that we are always being asked to give time for rebuilding, but I really do think we are on the right track. Or at least I hope so.

My fear for SOD is that expectation and being given time for rebuilding does not extend to a relegation fight! Far to early to be very worried about that, and I am confident we will move up the table. Ten games in is a fair time to start making some sort of judgement. Always the same, but nothing a win or two will not put right, and buys some breathing space. The reality is that we needs some results to, and if we are in a similar league position in 2 months time the 'give it time' argument will start wearing thin.

I do not think it unfair to ask SOD to balance the need for rebuilding and results against a mid table finish.

May be harsh, but my view!

I expect to finish this season mid table, with signs of progress being shown.

I do understand the 'its always jam tomorrow', argument, and that we are always being asked to give time for rebuilding, but I really do think we are on the right track. Or at least I hope so.

My fear for SOD is that expectation and being given time for rebuilding does not extend to a relegation fight! Far to early to be very worried about that, and I am confident we will move up the table. Ten games in is a fair time to start making some sort of judgement. Always the same, but nothing a win or two will not put right, and buys some breathing space. The reality is that we needs some results to, and if we are in a similar league position in 2 months time the 'give it time' argument will start wearing thin.

I do not think it unfair to ask SOD to balance the need for rebuilding and results against a mid table finish.

May be harsh, but my view!

It's not harsh. I'm mildly optimistic about sod and what he will do for us but a relegation battle is not on. He has enough resources at his disposal to be at least mid table whilst at the same time changing the ethos and style of the team. Implementing a transition period does not have to mean a total struggle, we have the players to be mid table at the least and that will do me this season. Excuses won't wash if we are down the bottom for a 4th season in a row!!!!!

Archived