IGNORED

Karl Robinson

headhunter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Robinson

I seem to be being slaughtered by some on another post (MKD benchmark) for not being fair on SOD as he needs time as we go through a rebuilding phase and that the MKD manager has had that time.

I looked up Karl Robinson (see wiki link above) and found that, in fairness, he has been there 3 years which is a long time in footy terms so what he has achieved IS highly creditable, even moreso given the fact (which I didn't know) that when appointed he was the youngest manager in the football league and did not play football at league level!

Robinson ought to have been on our radar if SOD hadn't been available - his win % is 46 against SOD's all career record of 36.

I give it 6 months and the same people praising SO'D will lose patience and be calling for his head if we are lower mid-table.

He needs 2 full seasons to sort the mess out at the club regarding ethos etc but this is City after all and patience seems to wear rather thin, rather quickly.

I completely agree with you.SOD needs a couple of seasons to still clear the dross , develop a team with the right ethos and create a style of play that runs through the first team and down through the academy.But already there are numpties moaning about him.If we fail to give this bloke the time and support then I dread to think where we will end up.

I completely agree with you.SOD needs a couple of seasons to still clear the dross , develop a team with the right ethos and create a style of play that runs through the first team and down through the academy.But already there are numpties moaning about him.If we fail to give this bloke the time and support then I dread to think where we will end up.

Question is, if this scenario does happen and we are stuck in the doldrums come February time will the board panic and axe O'Driscoll or will they stick with him for the greater good of the club?

Personally hope the latter but there simply is no room for patience in modern day football.

The old Kenny Jackett/Gary Johnson approach, persistence in training and the correct signings usually works :D all these players want to play for SOD and he has their respect. The only way they can keep that is doing as he asks, give him time and we will be up again.

Question is, if this scenario does happen and we are stuck in the doldrums come February time will the board panic and axe O'Driscoll or will they stick with him for the greater good of the club?

Personally hope the latter but there simply is no room for patience in modern day football.

Let's hope for all our sakes that the board are a little more switched on this time around.

It really does baffle and dismay me that people are spouting off all this negative crap already after the massive mess that SOD inherited. It's 4 games into the season and some people's lack of perspective at this early stage is truly disturbing.

Honestly, you feel that we could have won all 4 games so far and people would still find something to moan about. Only three teams in the league have scored more goals than us and we're right down at the bottom. If we can shore up defensively and stop leaking goals we will be a force, but it won't happen overnight. A new centre back pairing and GK still learning each other's games coupled with new players throughout the midfield, they're not going to be as in tune with each other as Pique, Puyol, Xavi & Iniesta just yet!

Let's hope for all our sakes that the board are a little more switched on this time around.

It really does baffle and dismay me that people are spouting off all this negative crap already after the massive mess that SOD inherited. It's 4 games into the season and some people's lack of perspective at this early stage is truly disturbing.

Honestly, you feel that we could have won all 4 games so far and people would still find something to moan about. Only three teams in the league have scored more goals than us and we're right down at the bottom. If we can shore up defensively and stop leaking goals we will be a force, but it won't happen overnight. A new centre back pairing and GK still learning each other's games coupled with new players throughout the midfield, they're not going to be as in tune with each other as Pique, Puyol, Xavi & Iniesta just yet!

What you said is very true but could also be the fact that we haven't won since I don't know when (early Feb??) and people just want to see a City win I guess, because to some results speak for themselves.

Think from all 4 games we could've taken something mind, even for me it frustrates that we keep conceding so soon after we score but like you said its not going to click overnight.. its a long term project to get the club back on its feet as its been rotten to the core since the final months of the Johnson era although I think McInnes more than most tried to set blueprints down for the future and started the ball rolling with cutting a ridiculous wage bill down to. I know people will throw abuse at me for that but I thought he did some good things off the field, a shame how he couldn't get it together on

I have been very encouraged by the signings we have brought in and some of the attacking football we have played has been excellent.. Felt we made Wolves look very ordinary 2nd half but it is also about shoring up the defence and consistency for 90min rather than 45min. Seen some posts about MK Dons outplaying us?? Really because it seemed City put in a very good away performance yesterday and should've barring some awful refereeing decisions and some wayward shooting come away with the 3 points against a good footballing side in this division, keep that kind of performance going and we'll be fine, it will come together eventually.

CTID :)

No manager would get 2 years to sort any club out.... Get in the ******* real world!!!

Well it should change, shouldn't it? Ridiculous to keep chopping and changing managers every 5min, no stability and not cost effective either... something that City can ill afford to keep doing.

It should but it NEVER will, football is and always will be a results driven business. People will always compare and ask why it's not taken other clubs in similar situations than ours so much time to achieve their goals.

Your fighting a losing battle I'm afraid, this is football.

It should but it NEVER will, football is and always will be a results driven business. People will always compare and ask why it's not taken other clubs in similar situations than ours so much time to achieve their goals.

Your fighting a losing battle I'm afraid, this is football.

So the scenario I posed in this thread will happen and O'Driscoll come February will be axed if results are not positive?

By the way, not arguing with that fact pal and I agree with your post but its a shame that boards (especially ours) cant see the greater good in a long term plan and need success asap. I do hope like every other City fan that it all clicks together on the pitch sooner rather than later.

So the scenario I posed in this thread will happen and O'Driscoll come February will be axed if results are not positive?

By the way, not arguing with that fact pal and I agree with your post but its a shame that boards (especially ours) cant see the greater good in a long term plan and need success asap. I do hope like every other City fan that it all clicks together on the pitch sooner rather than later.

This board is a lot more patient. They have Del a lot longer than they probably should have and I genuinely think SOD will be backed even if the fans turn. This is a proper culture change from top to bottom (on the football side at least, the rest appears to be same old same old) and it was that notion that attracted Sean to the club. I can't imagine they'd give him the boot after that...

May we be the exception to the idiotic rule that a manager can't have time to implement his ideas and coaching.

No manager would get 2 years to sort any club out.... Get in the ******* real world!!!

As long as we're showing steady improvement there's no chance SO'D won't be given time.

The club seem to have an initial 2 year plan - to stabilise this season while further unwanted players' contracts expire, then build on this seasons' maturing team to make a genuine assault on promotion next season.

It's a sensible and achievable plan and the board will strick to it unless we have a truly disastrous season.

The club seem to have an initial 2 year plan - to stabilise this season while further unwanted players' contracts expire, then build on this seasons' maturing team to make a genuine assault on promotion next season.

Who are the players whose contracts the board are waiting to run out?

Granted Karl Robinson has done a very good job at MK Dons but he's still largely unproven as a manager for me. I don't see what he could do for us that SOD can't?

Robinson's situation at MK Dons is completely different to a lot of clubs. He is under absolutely no pressure at all. The chairman is supporting of him whilst not having any real demands. They have no serious fan base with unrealistic expectations either. That said is he really all that? MK Dons play some great stuff but even against our fragile back line, for all their possession they hardly carved us open at will. They haven't really done anything of note during his rain, apart from playing the right way really.

Who are the players whose contracts the board are waiting to run out?

Don't know offhand exactly whose contracts are up Sam, but several of Pearson, Marvin, Fontaine and Kilkenny presumably.

Definitely Louis Carey, but my impression is the board are keen to keep him for ever.

I reckon we most have the most patient fans in world football, what is it six months since our last league win? Not that I want SoD to go, or I don't believe in his ethos, I think I do, but can you think of ANY club that would be so tolerant?

We are such a nice friendly club, do you think we could apply for Charity status?

3 points anyone?

First post of yours that makes any sense. We are WAY to patient. 6 months without a win but still happy to plod along happy clapping dreaming of better days that will inevitably never happen. Ahhh ignorance is bliss.

Don't know offhand exactly whose contracts are up Sam, but several of Pearson, Marvin, Fontaine and Kilkenny presumably.

Definitely Louis Carey, but my impression is the board are keen to keep him for ever.

Ah - thanks, imagine Killa and Pearson will definitely be moving on, then. I wonder whether Marvin might stay, as he's looking more like his old self again...and I think Fonts may yet come back to form

As for Carey, well let's just see!

It's getting like a mantra, keep saying the right things and we are all supposed to believe. The theory is right, SOD has a good track record, but I have not seen a lot to be optimistic about to date. It's a tough job, but blind loyalty and belief do not mean that things must be going to plan. Over negativity is no help, but no harm in asking questions. Some of us pointed out that GJ was spending too much on dross and overlooking youth. Some of us questioned Dels managerial qualities. Shot down by happy clappers but ultimately proved right. Don't be too negative, give it time, but also, don't just rely on blind belief.

First post of yours that makes any sense. We are WAY to patient. 6 months without a win but still happy to plod along happy clapping dreaming of better days that will inevitably never happen. Ahhh ignorance is bliss.

This is the post that makes least sense. Short memories as ever.

Answer me this, since Gary was sacked in 2010 how many managers have we had?

So that's 5 managers in little over 3 years.

Patient my arse.

The fact people understand our situation, realise that the club desperately needs a shift in culture that will take considerable time to implement is not a sign of patience. It's a sign of realism. Unfortunately we also have the "want want want" group who have been warped by Sky Sports' ideas about football and think success should happen simply with the waving of a wand.

I saw a post claiming that having time to do a job is no longer "real world" thinking. When did that happen? Is this the real life or is this just fantasy?

Ah - thanks, imagine Killa and Pearson will definitely be moving on, then. I wonder whether Marvin might stay, as he's looking more like his old self again...and I think Fonts may yet come back to form

As for Carey, well let's just see!

Marvin might be kept on a reduced wage; Fontaine and Kilkenny won't get offered further contracts imo.

I must be one of the few who think Pearson could be quite effective for City in this league, but any offer would have to be limited to a one year extension ( just in case we got promoted!) and of course again on average squad wages.

As for Carey, if there's any chance he might play even half of one match next season then he must surely definitely get a renewal.

I reckon we most have the most patient fans in world football, what is it six months since our last league win? Not that I want SoD to go, or I don't believe in his ethos, I think I do, but can you think of ANY club that would be so tolerant?

We are such a nice friendly club, do you think we could apply for Charity status?

3 points anyone?

What a load of twaddle.

We have some of the most fickle fans in the country if you ask me.

We have got through managers at a rate of knots in recent years and that's why we find ourselves where we do.

It seems for once we are seeking long term stability over short term results and that's when people like you surface, bemoaning a lack of results.

Maybe we should do a Yeovil, forget any investment in the future and sign loads of journeymen to get us to the promised land. Because its worked so well before.

What a load of twaddle.

We have some of the most fickle fans in the country if you ask me.

We have got through managers at a rate of knots in recent years and that's why we find ourselves where we do.

It seems for once we are seeking long term stability over short term results and that's when people like you surface, bemoaning a lack of results.

Maybe we should do a Yeovil, forget any investment in the future and sign loads of journeymen to get us to the promised land. Because its worked so well before.

100% agree with this, how many managers have we gone through in the last 10 years? Its time to give someone the chance to get things together, cant expect instant success.. not even 6 months down the line, this club is in a total mess and someone has to sort it. Speaking to a mate who is a Donny fan and he said it took O'Driscoll 2 years to get his stamp and the way he wants football to be played.

This is the post that makes least sense. Short memories as ever.

Answer me this, since Gary was sacked in 2010 how many managers have we had?

So that's 5 managers in little over 3 years.

Patient my arse.

The fact people understand our situation, realise that the club desperately needs a shift in culture that will take considerable time to implement is not a sign of patience. It's a sign of realism. Unfortunately we also have the "want want want" group who have been warped by Sky Sports' ideas about football and think success should happen simply with the waving of a wand.

I saw a post claiming that having time to do a job is no longer "real world" thinking. When did that happen? Is this the real life or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide,no escape to reality

Archived