IGNORED

Our Current Position - Being Realistic...

PFree

I lost my appetite for the wonderful game last season after 4 years of dross and fairly depressing football, seldom did I leave the gate feeling at all positive or having enjoyed the 'entertainment' (Before you ask, I've been a ST holder for 15 years).

Since that play-off loss to Hull at the end of the 07/08 season, let's face it, we have stopped investing in the playing side (well before FFS) and being honest now have a poor squad with a manager who inspires little?

Out of loyalty to our side, and seemingly despite our better judgement, we once again renewed our season tickets this year in the hope we'd see football played on the ground and a style of play that gradually got better..? In reality, we are playing football on the deck in our third only and then lumping balls up to Baldock, one of the smallest players we have - is SOD really the tactical genius we expected?

There's no passion, tempo, organisation, ability to defend, fight and as we've got used to that now over several seasons, it seems as that it doesn't matter if they turn up or not as at the moment "results don't matter" as we are in transition - sorry guys but I work hard for my money that I spend to watch you - results absolutely matter and you need to earn the right to be supported - forget the excuses, get stuck in and earn the significant sums of money you earn?

Finally, a couple of questions:

1 - as much as we appreciate what SL has done for club, if he has now all but withdrawn financial support, where does that leave us? If FFP is so important, how can Posh have such a significant wage bill and the ability to sign players we can no longer afford?

2 - my concern when SOD was appointed was that he lacked the passion City fans like to see, hence why at the time my preference was for a Billy Davies type character, it seems the disconnect with the fans is already happening, and let's be honest he needs to attend a PR course ASAP?

If we do manage to climb out of the relegation battle, is it really a measure of success that we've managed to stay in the 3rd division..?

Anyway rant over, I'll return to my positive self on Tuesday and will once again get behind the side, but being honest, I am concerned that my side is sliding towards the 4th division!

I lost my appetite for the wonderful game last season after 4 years of dross and fairly depressing football, seldom did I leave the gate feeling at all positive or having enjoyed the 'entertainment' (Before you ask, I've been a ST holder for 15 years).

Since that play-off loss to Hull at the end of the 07/08 season, let's face it, we have stopped investing in the playing side (well before FFS) and being honest now have a poor squad with a manager who inspires little?

Out of loyalty to our side, and seemingly despite our better judgement, we once again renewed our season tickets this year in the hope we'd see football played on the ground and a style of play that gradually got better..? In reality, we are playing football on the deck in our third only and then lumping balls up to Baldock, one of the smallest players we have - is SOD really the tactical genius we expected?

There's no passion, tempo, organisation, ability to defend, fight and as we've got used to that now over several seasons, it seems as that it doesn't matter if they turn up or not as at the moment "results don't matter" as we are in transition - sorry guys but I work hard for my money that I spend to watch you - results absolutely matter and you need to earn the right to be supported - forget the excuses, get stuck in and earn the significant sums of money you earn?

Finally, a couple of questions:

1 - as much as we appreciate what SL has done for club, if he has now all but withdrawn financial support, where does that leave us? If FFP is so important, how can Posh have such a significant wage bill and the ability to sign players we can no longer afford?

2 - my concern when SOD was appointed was that he lacked the passion City fans like to see, hence why at the time my preference was for a Billy Davies type character, it seems the disconnect with the fans is already happening, and let's be honest he needs to attend a PR course ASAP?

If we do manage to climb out of the relegation battle, is it really a measure of success that we've managed to stay in the 3rd division..?

Anyway rant over, I'll return to my positive self on Tuesday and will once again get behind the side, but being honest, I am concerned that my side is sliding towards the 4th division!

1) They sold their striker for 6 million pounds, which means at this level of football they'll pretty much sign who they like.

2) SOD's style is rather annoying sometimes, but it is what it is. SOD isn't Alex Ferguson and he isn't Jose Mourihno, he's gunna get it wrong sometimes and he got it wrong today in my opinion. But he's been brought in to set up a long term plan and system for a 3rd division club, and I can't personally see who would do a better job long-term. Short term, results wise, there are probably better managers out there. But how long does it last? A season? Two seasons? If you're lucky 3 seasons and then the bubble pops and we're back at square one, needing more expensive players and a whole new plan. SOD is setting up a system that is designed to remain in place long after he goes in my opinion. Patience, fellow fans, patience. I've been waiting just as long as you, but this time I really think there is a bigger picture.

I bloody would love a 1-0 win though!

Posh sold a player for 8M for starters plus a few of their best players and I am guessing high earners like George Boyd have gone.

I suppose it will aid us when Elliot and Pearson are off of the wage bill,and dare I say it Baldock too.would imagine their wages are a good lump of the total still.then leaves the need for a couple of strikers and maybe another midfielder.i can't help but feel we are missing a trick somewhere,can't seem to put my finger on it....

Archived