IGNORED

Largest City In Europe That Has Not Won It's Domestic Football League Title?

REDTURK

Source?

I picked up this information from an article in one of the Broadsheets a couple of years back....I think it was The Sunday Times but can't be 100% certain.

It talked about Bristol's sporting prowess or lack of it..... I think the journalist got the information from The London School of Economics via some office of Europoean Statistics in Brussells.

When I read of this I was sceptical and actually carried out a little research and broad litmus test on Germany, Russia and Italy.Demographically these countries have a large number of cities of 300k-400k population plus. I came to the conclusion that this "fact" would appear to broadly hold up.... although I agree it will obviously depend on what population figures are used ie. are they based on electoral demarcations, metropolitan borough representation, or historic boundaries etc

Actually just remembered the other answer (as this has come up before). Essen in Germany is definitely bigger than Bristol and has never won the league. It's 2 teams Red-white Essen and Black-white Essen (Rotweiss and Schwarzweiss in German)are in their 4th and 5th tiers so worse than us!

Actually just remembered the other answer (as this has come up before). Essen in Germany is definitely bigger than Bristol and has never won the league. It's 2 teams Red-white Essen and Black-white Essen (Rotweiss and Schwarzweiss in German)are in their 4th and 5th tiers so worse than us!

This is true, though the difference being Essen is close to Gelsenkirchen - Schalke and Dortmund; with Leverkusen, Monchengladback and Dusseldorf all nearby.

So I'd suppose there's only so many Bundesliga sides that a particular region can sustain!

So, in summary, Bristol is quite a big city and neither us or the gas have won the league.

There can only be one conclusion...... Sack George Ferguson.

He has bugger all power anyway, if he tried to build this arena that he has 'promised us' I'm sure he would be slammed with planning permission/judicial reviews.

What an inaccurate title this topic has.

Novosibirsk in Russia is the third largest city there, it has a population of 1.5m and their football team has never won the Russian league.

Where do I claim my prize?

Disqualified, I'm afraid. Novosibirsk is in Asia.

Depends what you base it on, Bradford is listed on the ukcities population webpage as having the higher population (don't know how to link but Google it). Obviously that doesn't take into account areas of Bristol defined as South Glos.

I think you can ignore UKCities....according to that Bradford is bigger than Liverpool and Nottingham!

Bradford is a Metropolitan District with a population of around 522,000 but its "city" population is only around 293,000.

Bristol is a city and county in its own right and its equivalent "city" population is 433,000. Although Bristol does not have an official "metropolitan" area, large swathes of its contiguos urban area is spread over 3 other councils most notably South Glos (such as Filton, Patchway, Bradley Stoke, Emersons, Downend, Staple Hill, Kingswood, Longwell Green etc). If these are inlcuded into an equivalent "metropolitan" area then the population extends to around 627,000

Sorry to bore you with demographics :closedeyes:

I think you can ignore UKCities....according to that Bradford is bigger than Liverpool and Nottingham!

Bradford is a Metropolitan District with a population of around 522,000 but its "city" population is only around 293,000.

Bristol is a city and county in its own right and its equivalent "city" population is 433,000. Although Bristol does not have an official "metropolitan" area, large swathes of its contiguos urban area is spread over 3 other councils most notably South Glos (such as Filton, Patchway, Bradley Stoke, Emersons, Downend, Staple Hill, Kingswood, Longwell Green etc). If these are inlcuded into an equivalent "metropolitan" area then the population extends to around 627,000

Sorry to bore you with demographics :closedeyes:

That's me telt!

Archived