IGNORED

Help For Sod

RedRock

As we're all, to varying degrees, still committed to the SOD revolution some words of kindly advice to our leader to prevent him becoming yet another waste of time, money and space:-

1) We don't do blue

Pulis wore blue shorts on his first day. We remember that. We remember him as one of our worst managers ever. Burn those *******g blue track suits will you. Blue is unlucky, for losers and the Sags. I know it sounds irrational to your systems and processes logical mind .. but it's strongly emotional for us and it hurts to see any blue at the Gate. Get rid - your fortunes will change.

2) Stop buying Derby Rejects

Cloughie and his backroom staff are light years ahead of us in gauging player's mental and physical abilities. Derby's cast-offs appear damaged goods. Our hearts sank when we learnt another was on his way. Don't go anywhere near a Derby player again please.

3) Throw away your outdated Business Management Books and their theories, which you believe apply to football. They don't!

4) Never again use the clichés contained in these Management Books during interviews or in your programme notes.

6) Try being positive and upbeat. It can work.

3) Throw away your outdated Business Management Books and their theories, which you believe apply to football. They don't!

4) Never again use the clichés contained in these Management Books during interviews or in your programme notes.

6) Try being positive and upbeat. It can work.

You'll get some stick for that!! (I happen to agree)

RedDave yep, well serious. But a broader point also being made.

Football is a game of technical skills and emotion. The emotion is about pride and passion for the shirt, going the extra mile, diving in where it hurts, a sense of belonging and unity to something bigger and better than the individual. Our identity is defined, in part, by being red - I assume your reference to being RedDave reflects that.

I think a number of us believe SoD is technically proficient. However, he seems (at least in terms of his public persona) to have an emotional deficit. As they say - a team takes on the characteristics of the manager. The lack of fight, pride and passion in the last part of our Championship season was, frankly, pitiful to watch. SoDs inability to understand the fans reaction to beating the Sags was odd. You look at Swindles goals and wonder why the last defender wasn't desperately flinging some part of his body to get between ball and goal.

Could you see Fergie and his back-up team bedecked in light blue from head to toe on the touchline? John Ward and his team wearing a red track suits at the Sags? Think not. Football is a game of percentages - say 70% technically driven and 30% emotionally. Small percentage changes on either count matter - they can be the difference between drawing at home to mighty Shrewsbury and winning. At the moment, I'd say we're running at around 40% technical and 10% emotion - which is why we're in the bottom 4.

And to Roger Red Hat. I think opposing teams fans forums have a far better record of accurately assessing a players strengths and weaknesses than our 'technically proficient' scouts and coaches. So, the fact that we've not professionally played the game and done our FA coaching badges doesn't necessarily mean we can't make valid points on a fans forum. For example, were not a lot of us saying rather than invest in the Academy over the last 15 years it would have been far better to invest in a nationwide scouting set up? Wonder where we'd be if we'd followed the fans advice? Doubt in the bottom 4 of Division 3.

Football is a game of technical skills and emotion. The emotion is about pride and passion for the shirt, going the extra mile, diving in where it hurts, a sense of belonging and unity to something bigger and better than the individual. Our identity is defined, in part, by being red - I assume your reference to being RedDave reflects that.

I think a number of us believe SoD is technically proficient. However, he seems (at least in terms of his public persona) to have an emotional deficit. As they say - a team takes on the characteristics of the manager. The lack of fight, pride and passion in the last part of our Championship season was, frankly, pitiful to watch. SoDs inability to understand the fans reaction to beating the Sags was odd. You look at Swindles goals and wonder why the last defender wasn't desperately flinging some part of his body to get between ball and goal.

Could you see Fergie and his back-up team bedecked in light blue from head to toe on the touchline? John Ward and his team wearing a red track suits at the Sags? Think not. Football is a game of percentages - say 70% technically driven and 30% emotionally. Small percentage changes on either count matter - they can be the difference between drawing at home to mighty Shrewsbury and winning. At the moment, I'd say we're running at around 40% technical and 10% emotion - which is why we're in the bottom 4.

And to Roger Red Hat. I think opposing teams fans forums have a far better record of accurately assessing a players strengths and weaknesses than our 'technically proficient' scouts and coaches. So, the fact that we've not professionally played the game and done our FA coaching badges doesn't necessarily mean we can't make valid points on a fans forum. For example, were not a lot of us saying rather than invest in the Academy over the last 15 years it would have been far better to invest in a nationwide scouting set up? Wonder where we'd be if we'd followed the fans advice? Doubt in the bottom 4 of Division 3.

IMO am excellent post. Good points all round.

I understand the points you are making but I just don't think it makes 1% of difference if our Head Coach is wearing blue or red on the sideline.

I agree with your points in opposing forums fans. Over the last 6-7 years I have checked fans views of every signing we have made, from the club they have just come from. I'd say 95% of views (opinions on strengths, weaknesses etc) have been accurate. Funnily though, this forum has not been too accurate in recent times. Ipswich fans like Anderson and love Skuse for example - hardly an opinion shared by the majority on here!

Apparently they're not booing Wenger at Arsenal at the moment, that bloke took a lot of shit very recently and just had to ride it out.

Don't really know where the point is here, just, in hindsight it appears that Arsenal fans didn't really know what they were talking about and just reverted to emotion instead.

Archived