IGNORED

Is Not The Question - What Are Your Expectations.

tiz

Just putting it out there by means of a question. What are your expectations? Rather than Is Sod the right man or Sod should go etc.

If you are epecting to gain promotion this season I can see why you would think that Sod should go, but was prmotion a realistic thing from the start.

If your expectations are that we will go down I fully understand why you would think that Sod should go.

My expectation was that O'Driscoll would eventually bring stability to the club with hungry young players that would play good passing football and be proud to wear the shirt, and would get us fans buzzing again. I stated a few weeks back that I was getting the loving feeling back again and to be honest that has not changed. I am as an angry and bitter twisted as the next man about the results but do think we are on the right path.

One thing that may well change that though is the decision on the goalkeeper next Saturday. I am not blaming the whole defensive woes on Fielding but I think he is berift of confidence and is making the whole defence nervous and it is time to give him a break. I fear he may become the next Fontaine, and that we will slide further into trouble in terms of league position and more importantly defensive form ( rubbish as it already is ). For me this will be a call where I would start to judge O'Driscoll's decision making .

I expected mid table playing good football and the team to develop all the way through the season, with a hope of the play offs. I am not happy with that expectation but it is what it is due to previous mis management, palyers not giving a sh!t,League 1 fair play rules, and bad luck.

Results ARE hurting us and really hurting me, but its all about expectations for me.

Lower mid table this season, a push for play offs next season, if we are still in this division a concerted effort for a top two spot the season after. A team that has enough players coming through that they can interchange fairly well rather than having to rely on one or two players.

Edit and playing good attractive football on the deck. I want to be entertained more than anything. (Although s few wins wouldn't go amiss)

I admit my expectation was that we'd miss out on the play offs by a bit, but expectation and what i'd be happy with are different for me, as long as there are signs such as the good football etc with us staying in the division i'm happy as given more experience for all the players we will be able to press on in a season, 2, 3 or however many from a stable position.

Just putting it out there by means of a question. What are your expectations? Rather than Is Sod the right man or Sod should go etc.

If you are epecting to gain promotion this season I can see why you would think that Sod should go, but was prmotion a realistic thing from the start.

If your expectations are that we will go down I fully understand why you would think that Sod should go.

My expectation was that O'Driscoll would eventually bring stability to the club with hungry young players that would play good passing football and be proud to wear the shirt, and would get us fans buzzing again. I stated a few weeks back that I was getting the loving feeling back again and to be honest that has not changed. I am as an angry and better twisted as the next man about the results but do think we are on the right path.

One thing that may well change that though is the decision on the goalkeeper next Saturday. I am not blaming the whole defensive woes on Fielding but I think he is berift of confidence and is making the whole defence nervous and it is time to give him a break. I fear he may become the next Fontaine, and that we will slide further into trouble in terms of league position and more importantly defensive form ( rubbish as it already is ). For me this will be a call where I would start to judge O'Driscoll's decision making .

I expected mid table playing good football and the team to develop all the way through the season, with a hope of the play offs. I am not happy with that expectation but it is what it is due to previous mis management, palyers not giving a sh!t,League 1 fair play rules, and bad luck.

Results ARE hurting us and really hurting me, but its all about expectations for me.

The point is the argument about SOD and his tenure as manager is really based on what your expectations are. I feel that for the most part my expectations are being met except the odd win, and that O'Driscoll has promised us no more. And all though he certainly is a boring old fart, I believe he will bring things right soon.

I too still feel hopeful of a decent season tiz, but your point about league 1 f.p. rules apply to all teams im araid and bad luck? Again I think you'll probably find that most supporters consider their own teams to have bad luck, its just a one eyed take of a game that things and decisions maybe always seem to conspire against your particular team, its natural though we all do it to a certain extent.

I too still feel hopeful of a decent season tiz, but your point about league 1 f.p. rules apply to all teams im araid and bad luck? Again I think you'll probably find that most supporters consider their own teams to have bad luck, its just a one eyed take of a game that things and decisions maybe always seem to conspire against your particular team, its natural though we all do it to a certain extent.

Relegation IS NOT an option......that will be totally unacceptable even in a transitional period.

Personally, I thought we would easily finish in mid table, handing out a couple of hammerings and receiving the same along the way, due to the young players just starting out in their professional careers.

I know we have only played 8 games so far BUT the same old mistakes are there from the last 3 or 4 seasons, the only saving grace being that it is young players making them instead of Fontaine, Kilkenny, Carey, Nyatanga, Skuse, etc, etc.

What baffles me is that we seem to be able to turn it on in the Cups, although Gillingham missed a hatful and we struggled at times against the :gasmask: scum.

Perhaps it is a psychological thing.....if so get someone in, most clubs have one these days.

At the end of the day, anything could have happened this season as we were like at least half the division with new young squads, we had a tough run of fixtures to start the season with but could easily have beaten Bradford had it not been for a certain No.4.

The Coventry defeat was a complete confidence killer and IMO, is where it started to go wrong but I have seen enough potential to see that IF we get going, we will be ok.

The big question is..............IF

I was expecting SOD to this squad upside replacing alot of the old rubbish we have been used to and replacing it with lots of younger, hungrier players who wanted to play for the shirt. I was also expecting him to introduce a new style of football that once learnt and fully embedded into the teams brains, would see us playing a much more attractive brand of the game. I did expect this to take around half of this season to really see the footballing side coming together however and i believe in time, the younger players brought in will have proven to us how hungry they are to succeed. I finally believe to see the team fully up and running giving us an exciting end to the season in the last 10-15 games showing us the exciting times that can be expected in the season to follow. Heres hoping!

Fair play tiz not meant as a dig at you, I see where your coming from im just a person that believes in making your own luck! I agree with you about the defensive injuries but they'res been some dubious signings, to put it mildly, in that dept as well.

Apologies it didn't see it as a dig. I am the same you do make your own luck in anything. Its why I believe that trying to look objectively and trying to be positive often brings about more positive endings.

My expectations at the start of the season league 1 stability steady the ship and stop the rot finishing between 8th and 12th

This is still achievable but not if the defence continues to have more holes in it then a sieve 19 goals in 8 games is shocking and the leagues joint worst which needs to be addressed sooner rather then later

Still think SOD is the right man but the school report at the moment would read must do better for him and the team

Simple.

When the season started I expected us to go up directly or via the play-offs.

...and why not? We were going to play at a lower level and with considerably better resources than several (most?) of the clubs in the division.

Expectations have always got to be high. Ambition, passion and expectation are the things that drive the better clubs upwards.

A lot of City fans dumb-down their expectations as the season progresses.

Whatever their expectations were when the season started they are now much lower.

For example, some fans who, at the beginning, expected us to finish in the top six, have gradually reduced this to finishing in the top ten, then to finishing mid-table, then to escaping relegation and finally to rebuilding if/when we go down.

Self-limiting beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecies.

We should always aim for the highest and expect the very best. Nothing less will do - certainly not for me.

Nothing beats aiming high and expecting the most. But ithas to be realistic. It may to pass that your expectations were right. Wolves Peterborough all had more resources than us. My point generally is that due to your expectations I can see why you may be calling for Sods head. He may yet deliver what you expect. Your view is as valid as mine, but my expectations are mostly being met and though far from happy genuinely believe we are moving in the right direction. I will add this if we did change sod for Warnock my expectations would be far gloomier.

My expectation was that O'Driscoll would eventually bring stability to the club with hungry young players that would play good passing football and be proud to wear the shirt, and would get us fans buzzing again. I stated a few weeks back that I was getting the loving feeling back again and to be honest that has not changed. I am as an angry and bitter twisted as the next man about the results but do think we are on the right path.

Good post.

It does hurt at the moment. Big time. Yesterday was a defeat I personally could have done without. The Swindon cretins will hold onto that for many a year now.

Anyway back on topic. At the start of this season my expectations were and still are to see a young and hungry side playing some exciting stuff while finishing in the top 10 and a possible play off push. I think that is realistic. I also think that a lot of people on here didn't say they expected to go straight back up but privately genuinely believed we could and perhaps would which is why there is a lot of disappointment right now aside from the obvious. We as fans still need a sense of realism.

I think Fielding needs to be dropped. That's tough because it will probably make him even less confident than he already appears to be but he needs taking out of the firing line. Haven't been convinced by him and he doesn't even look like a keeper! He needs a smaller top that's for sure. I hope he will come good and I don't blame SOD for signing him. Let's face it, who else was out there at the time?

I still think we are on the right track but it will take time to get there. Unfortunately I am not sure SOD will get that time.

My expectations were low and I had no problem with SOD dampening down some of the more optimistic predictions. I did not expect to start the season so badly however and I don't believe SOD did either. At the very least however I expected finally to see improvement in our defending as I felt sure a manager of his experience would want to build a solid base. So far there is absolutely no sign of that and hearing his analysis of yesterday essentially boiling down Bryan not crossing the ball well enough he hardly seems to recognise the problem exists let alone to have any potential solution to it. We shall have to wait and see if he comes up with the answer in time. The question is, how long can we afford to wait?

Simple.

When the season started I expected us to go up directly or via the play-offs.

...and why not? We were going to play at a lower level and with considerably better resources than several (most?) of the clubs in the division.

Expectations have always got to be high. Ambition, passion and expectation are the things that drive the better clubs upwards.

A lot of City fans dumb-down their expectations as the season progresses.

Whatever their expectations were when the season started they are now much lower.

For example, some fans who, at the beginning, expected us to finish in the top six, have gradually reduced this to finishing in the top ten, then to finishing mid-table, then to escaping relegation and finally to rebuilding if/when we go down.

Self-limiting beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecies.

We should always aim for the highest and expect the very best. Nothing less will do - certainly not for me.

I believe there may be something in this. I had no problem with SOD promoting realistic expectations at the start of the season but he has become so relentlessly downbeat I wonder if it affects the players' mindset. I can't help thinking if I had to work every day for such an apparently hangdog boss it would start to affect my attitude after a while. The depressing frequency with which fans are saying "How we could be expected to beat team x, y and z?" speaks of a general defeatism about the place too.

I believe there may be something in this. I had no problem with SOD promoting realistic expectations at the start of the season but he has become so relentlessly downbeat I wonder if it affects the players' mindset. I can't help thinking if I had to work every day for such an apparently hangdog boss it would start to affect my attitude after a while. The depressing frequency with which fans are saying "How we could be expected to beat team x, y and z?" speaks of a general defeatism about the place too.

Couldn't agree more. It's pathetic really.

My expectation for this season was for an upper mid table sort of campaign, and that's why I shelled out several hundred quid for two season tickets (me and my son). If I'd known in May/June that we'd be the whipping boys of the division, and on a one way ticket to oblivion, I would have kept my money in my pocket.

Unfortunately practically all clubs will talk about an upbeat season for the very reason of selling more season tickets.the main problem with overdoing the lower your expectations line is p.o.d.fans may easily think their hard earned money will stay in their pockets if there's no or not much hope of seeing any tangible success this season.its a difficult balance to achieve but SoD and the club would probably find criticism in going too far in either direction imho.

I'm not convinced that we see the "real" SOD in his interviews.

Kenny Dalglish came across as a very dour and defensive man when being interviewed,he just didn't like doing them and being asked moronic questions week after week.

We all know that SOD feels the same.

But by all accounts Dalglish was 100% different when with his players and I imagine SOD is the same.

Archived