IGNORED

Ryan Taylor - Centre Back?

old_eastender

I might be on my own here, but I could see Ryan Taylor making a good centre back... playing up front he wins plenty of headers, seems to read the game quite well, can retain possession under pressure and has shown assured short passing, but we all know he seems to carry virtually no goal threat whatsover ... hence my thinking he could do a good job at Centre Back instead?

I might be on my own here, but I could see Ryan Taylor making a good centre back... playing up front he wins plenty of headers, seems to read the game quite well, can retain possession under pressure and has shown assured short passing, but we all know he seems to carry virtually no goal threat whatsover ... hence my thinking he could do a good job at Centre Back instead?

It wouldn't be the first time a striker has been transformed into a Centre Back.

Hard man Kenny Burns at Florist was probably one of the best.

You have analysed the situation well and you are very much on your oxn .

With luck your post will sink rapidly with out trace thus sparing any further embarrassment for us

It wouldn't be the first time a striker has been transformed into a Centre Back.

Hard man Kenny Burns at Florist was probably one of the best.

Leroy Rosenior did it for us when we played Stockport in the FA Cup I think was against Kevin Francis and he had him in his pocket all game.

I also recall Lee Peacock playing centre half when I think we had a player sent off. He joked that it was easy as there was no running involved, just a case of pushing up when necessary.

I think it's an alright shout from the OP, but I wouldn't just throw him in the deep end, I'd play him in defence in the under 21's/reserves first.

Good call, he can't contribute the 8-10 goals his position needs as a minimum but is decent on the ground as well as in the air and has the attributes to play centre back. Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin did it and I could see him doing well there. Nothing to lose and worth trying in his come back games with the development squad.

John Galley played centre back or (centre half as it was back in the day) for Hereford (possibly Forest). Keith Curle played most if his football on the right wing until Terry Cooper converted him to central defender and he went on to great things. Unusually Don Gillies went from striker to right back, and Clive Whitehead from right wing to left back/ left centre back. Its interesting that these players were not utility players as such (Rob Newman and Skuse come to mind), they just changed randomly from one position to a another and became a success.

OK Galley switching (CF to CH) was not unusual and Whitehead was good in defence, but we lost one of the club's best ever wingers by playing him there.

As for Ryan Taylor at CB, you'll never know until you try it, not sure why the idea gets slated when it hasn't even been given a go :shutup:

Marcus Gayle, Gary Doherty. If you know how to beat them you know how to stop them.

He needs to play up top though. Interested to see what he can do when he's fit and gets a run. Always though baldock needs a target man with him, then stick jet wide. Or, my preference would be all three up top, then Reid, pack and Elliot/wynter in the middle, and just use good movement to give width with jet and baldock coming wide.

Marcus Gayle, Gary Doherty. If you know how to beat them you know how to stop them.

He needs to play up top though. Interested to see what he can do when he's fit and gets a run. Always though baldock needs a target man with him, then stick jet wide. Or, my preference would be all three up top, then Reid, pack and Elliot/wynter in the middle, and just use good movement to give width with jet and baldock coming wide.

Put JET out wide? Where he couldn't effect a game for Ipswich and he's said he doesn't want to play, just to accommodate Ryan Taylor? Great work.

Archived