IGNORED

Back From St Mary's- Keep The Faith

Taylor10

I tried sending this last night but it wouldn't send.

We gave a really good account of ourselves last night. Dominated the second half and in the end very unlucky. We created many a chance but as is often the case against a premiership team, if you don't punish them then they often only need a chance which is of course what happened second half. Our movement off the ball was so much better and most of you will be pleased to know we very rarely went back whilst passing and keeping the ball well. Had we had a striker on earlier second half we would have scored. That's not a criticism of SOD as he got his tactics right, it's just as we know he likes to, JET was doing lots of good work cutting in and some dangerous balls went into the box that needed to be finished. I think the biggest compliment was listening to the radio on the way back. Saints fans were exceptionally impressed by us.

I am not a happy clapper by any means and I've been very down and somewhat dismayed in recent weeks. But after Swindon and Southampton performances there is no way we can continue to play like that and not win. Our season starts Saturday now. Very good performance and we have to back SOD now. Changing it won't do any good at all. He is the man and we have to believe it now. Yes a frustrating time I know but he will turn this round. We as fans just need to see this tough period through and our luck WILL change.

A special mention for Bobby Reid. Best player on the park easily and those calling for a creative midfielder need not worry. This kid is going to be a serious player. He hassled, tracked, showed desire and fantastic vision at times and all of our best stuff came through him. It's amazing how he was out of the picture before as the rate he's improving is frightening. He is getting better with each game and will continue to get better. Those claiming he wasn't physical enough must be feeling pretty stupid now. Very excited by this boys development. Different class, albeit early days.

All in all a good nights work. We have to believe our time will come and it will.

Ratings.....

Parish- 7 assured again, gets my vote over FF

Moloney- 6 attacked well poor final ball

Flint- 7 solid tonight

Williams-7 much improved from Swindon and looks to be forming a good partnership with Flint.

Shorey-7 adds much needed composure and was good going forward

Wagstaff-6 worked hard but needs to offer more of an attacking threat

Pack-7 kept us ticking over well with tidy passing and keeping the ball

Bryan- 5 looked lost in a central role

Reid-9 best player on the park and really took the game to them. Awesome

McLaughlin- 6 good energy but offered little else

JET- was isolated at times but second half lively

Subs-

Harewood-6 big and strong but needs to stay on side!! Could have scored

Killa- 4 anonymous

Baldock-4 barely touched the ball but when he did lazily over hit a through ball to JET when he could of put him clean through. Still annoyed about it now!

A good write up, thanks.

I was one of the people who simply couldn't see Bobby Reid coming through with any real impact and I put that entirely down to the fact that he doesn't look a day over 13 and has not offered enough in the past, when given chances. So far this season, I'm delighted to say, he has impressed and I finally have faith that he could be a real gem for us.

Great to hear about Reid, he was always the stand out player in the U21s last season and as for "not offering enough when given chances" he was only given his first start (by SO'D) on the last day of last season!

Let's hope we can find a settled XI now and start to pick up the points we need.

It's still very worrying that we completely folded after Killa came on; not going to blame him but there was no cohesion at all once the switch was made, and after the second goal we had one shot and one set up for the last 10 minutes or so, which after the best City performance in many months was heart-wrenching and infuriating.

If the Reid-Baldock switch had happened first we would have scored.

I only listen to the match on the radio but it did seem a much better performance, echoed by the great report above. The 2 goals scored they said gave Parish no chance of stopping, ok we conceded but not through sloppy mistakes so it's good to hear that.

Very happy for Reid, he always looks lively and interested, hope he keeps his place now. I'm a bit worried about Bryne though, we need to find a place for him as he has been MOTM or at least a candidate for a few games, would be a shame if we can't continue with him where he shines.

Baldock, even last season I thought he doesn't come off the bench well, he likes to start. Kilkenny, got to be one of his last games surely?

I think maybe by now SoD has a much better idea of which players he can 'trust' to quote GJ.

It's still very worrying that we completely folded after Killa came on; not going to blame him but there was no cohesion at all once the switch was made, and after the second goal we had one shot and one set up for the last 10 minutes or so, which after the best City performance in many months was heart-wrenching and infuriating.

If the Reid-Baldock switch had happened first we would have scored.

I agree. I am Killa's biggest critic but it wasn't his fault. We changed the shape when Harewood came on and other than a couple of counter attacks we were not the same once we did this. Secondly we just ran out of steam...the players were so tired after the efforts they had put in and the second goal was a killer.

We gave a really good account of ourselves last night. Dominated the second half and in the end very unlucky. We created many a chance but as is often the case against a Premier League team, if you don't punish them then they often only need a chance which is of course what happened second half. Our movement off the ball was so much better and most of you will be pleased to know we very rarely went back whilst passing and keeping the ball well. Had we had a striker on earlier second half we would have scored. That's not a criticism of SOD as he got his tactics right, it's just as we know he likes to, JET was doing lots of good work cutting in and some dangerous balls went into the box that needed to be finished. I think the biggest compliment was listening to the radio on the way back. Saints fans were exceptionally impressed by us.

I am not a happy clapper by any means and I've been very down and somewhat dismayed in recent weeks. But after Swindon and Southampton performances there is no way we can continue to play like that and not win. Our season starts Saturday now. Very good performance and we have to back SOD now. Changing it won't do any good at all. He is the man and we have to believe it now. Yes a frustrating time I know but he will turn this round. We as fans just need to see this tough period through and our luck WILL change.

A special mention for Bobby Reid. Best player on the park easily and those calling for a creative midfielder need not worry. This kid is going to be a serious player. He hassled, tracked, showed desire and fantastic vision at times and all of our best stuff came through him. It's amazing how he was out of the picture before as the rate he's improving is frightening. He is getting better with each game and will continue to get better. Those claiming he wasn't physical enough must be feeling pretty stupid now. Very excited by this boys development. Different class, albeit early days.

All in all a good nights work. We have to believe our time will come and it will.

Ratings.....

Flint- 7 solid tonight

Williams-7 much improved from Swindon and looks to be forming a good partnership with Flint.

Subs-

Killa- 4 anonymous

Baldock-4 barely touched the ball but when he did lazily over hit a through ball to JET when he could of put him clean through. Still annoyed about it now!

Good report.

Happy that someone can see some potential in a 2-0 defeat against a Premiership reserve 11.

Keep the faith.

It seemed we got sucker punched for their second. Should Hooiveld have stayed on the pitch after cynically bringing down Reid when it seemed he was through on goal?

Nice write up though, good and positive stuff. It seemed pretty positive especially 2nd half on the radio.

Touch of the Ronald Koemans (sp) there :(

I have to say I fully echo the sentiments of the original post. I thought we were superb. I said at half time that should we be able to replicate that performance it would be good enough to beat any League 1 side, than second half we played even better. The only blight on the performance was conceding a goal from a corner.

It really must be a great irritation to everybody that we can produce the performances we have against Palace and Southampton, but haven't managed to reach the heights (not for an entire game anyway) in the league. A couple of times they played through us, but on the whole I thought we defended well and looked superb on the ball. We were good in possession at Swindon, but you wouldn't have believed you were watching the same team that huffed and puffed a week earlier against Shrewsbury. Moving the ball around at pace, options always being given to the man in possession, we actually looked like a team.

As everyone else who was at the game has said Bobby Reid was magnificent. Steve Davis and Jack Cork are both good Premier League players, and, for me anyway, Bobby outclassed them. In the system we played and the role JET was asked to perform there were always going to be occasions that we highlighted the fact he isn't really a centre forward and he seems unable to jump, but I thought he did as well as anyone could realistically expect and when we were playing the ball into his feet rather than at his head I thought he was once again superb and a constant threat.

I accept glorious failure in cup competitions is at times slightly easy to come by, but there will be upsets in every cup competition in the world this season in where the victorious underdog hasn't had anywhere near as much of the game as we did last night. Just some quotes from the game last night;

BBC Sport- "City, who have yet to win in the league this season, knocked out Crystal Palace in the previous round and dominated for large spells of the second period."

Sky Sports- "Joe Bryan, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Bobby Reid and Stephen McLaughlin all threatened to level for Sean O'Driscoll's side, who dominated for large spells of the second period."

Southampton fan on Twitter- "How the **** Bristol City didn't score I do not know, they were the better side tonight. Oh well through to the next round"

Similarly to the last round there will be some that point out that this was 'Southampton's reserves', but let's not pretend we will play anyone in League 1 will come close to being as good as that side last night. The guy that spanked a volley in the top corner cost 12 million and has 20 caps for the country 7th in the Fifa rankings after all!

The important thing, and thing we failed in doing after the Palace game, is taking this performance into the League games. Should we manage to replicate our last two league cup performances we will wipe the floor with a lot of teams in our division. This is the big and all important challenge though. As I said leaving the ground last night, being 1-0 down at half time Saturday having played no football will be even more infuriating having watched us give a performance like that when the pressure isn't on quite so much.

We gave a really good account of ourselves last night. Dominated the second half and in the end very unlucky. We created many a chance but as is often the case against a Premier League team, if you don't punish them then they often only need a chance which is of course what happened second half. Our movement off the ball was so much better and most of you will be pleased to know we very rarely went back whilst passing and keeping the ball well. Had we had a striker on earlier second half we would have scored. That's not a criticism of SOD as he got his tactics right, it's just as we know he likes to, JET was doing lots of good work cutting in and some dangerous balls went into the box that needed to be finished. I think the biggest compliment was listening to the radio on the way back. Saints fans were exceptionally impressed by us.

Ratings.....

Flint- 7 solid tonight

Subs-

Killa- 4 anonymous

Exactly.

Nice to see what I feel is the right attitude from our team and our supporters...Well done to all who went...I feel in my gut we are going to beat a team by a load soon...Hoping its Saturday

Didn't go (10,000 mile round trip on a Tuesday night seemed excessive), but a Saints fan here got copied on this summary of the game from one of his fellow supporters. May be of interest to some on here:

Just got home - waste of a good evening. This was no icing on my birthday cake! None of the so called back up players did anything to suggest they should be in the first team. The score flattered saints. I have not seen any stats but I am sure Bristol City had more attempts on goal than saints. Our passing at times was schoolboy stuff and I am still amazed that Mauricio Pochettino left it until the last 15 minutes before making substitutions. With just a one goal lead we showed no urgency against a team that always looked that they might score. The side was crying out for someone to take control - but Mauricio just sat and watched, not even getting to the technical area to try to cajole his players and get a response or change our shape.

Credit to the visitors, they tried to play football and had they had a decent finisher they might well have caused an upset. They looked the more dangerous team in the second half and looked as though they wanted to win. We could so easily have lost this game had it not been for Kelvin Davis who was called upon to make some superb saves. He kept us in the game in that second half. He was much the busier of the two keepers. I can not remember the Bristol 'keeper having to make too many saves during the game. Yes we were that bad.

Saints had too many passengers tonight, I hate to castigate any player wearing a saints shirt but Guly Do Prado was an embarrassment. He lacked appetite for the game, showed woeful ball control, was caught in possession numerous times, hardly broke sweat and had absolutely no impact on this game whatsoever. He just did not want to be out there and looked relieved to be subbed. His replacement 17 year old Harrison Reed did more in his 15 minutes than Guly did in his 75 minutes. Why was he allowed to stay on the pitch for so long? The biggest cheer of the night was when his number was held up on the subs board. That makes me sad. Not what I want to hear when any saints player is subbed. But he had to be taken off.

Gaston Ramirez only came out of the game with any credit by scoring a wonder goal with a sweetly struck volley and one superb lofted pass over a defender to put Tandari Lee through on goal, bringing a good save from the visiting goalie. But overall this was not a performance of a £12million player. Too often his passes went astray or he too was caught in possession. He drifted in and out of the game and disappeared completely towards the end of the game and then walked off the pitch during injury time and sat on the subs bench. Injured I assume! He has some sublime skills but no appetite.

I felt sorry for Tandari Lee. He was played as the lone striker ( against the 6' 5" central defender) and worked his socks off, but received little support. He at least showed energy and a desire to win the ball. Yoshida and Hooiveld defended well and Fox had an very good second half, and Steven Davis as usual put in a good shift and looked to try to rally the troops. But elsewhere no player did enough to justify knocking on the managers door asking why he is being overlooked for the first team.

Pity we were unable to bring on Harrison Reed and Omar Rowe earlier, but the game was in the balance right up until Hooiveld crashed in a late header from a good corner taken by JWP.

A frustrating night, and a poor crowd, those who stayed away showed good judgement.

Archived