IGNORED

We Have To Stick With Sod

Super Scotty Murray

I haven't posted on here for a while but I really felt the need to after going to the Southampton game last night.

In the second half for 25 minutes it was the best I have seen us play for years. A young side playing with a freedom I haven't seen since we got promoted under GJ. I know we have had a tough start to the season, confidence is fragile, and still have huge defensive problems, but I think if we give SOD time this could be the start of something great.

Bobby Reid basically controlled the game for the majority of the second half, against premiership opposition. He always wants the ball, is happy to receive it under pressure, and does not panic. He has to play as many games as it physically possible for us this season because we are an infinitely better side with him in it. Also he played in a more advanced role with only 1 up front and it suited him.

In terms of the other players, I thought everyone played with great credit. Moloney had one of this best games for the club, Williams I thought was superb and calm on the ball, McLaughlin looked very promising on debut with great movement and JET had his usual sparks of brilliance. I have only picked a few players there but everyone deserves credit.

The fans were superb as well. It is not often I say that but everyone appreciated how well we played despite the scoreline. In that second half an unknowing observer would have thought we were the premiership side.

All we need is to somehow get a win from somewhere in the league, so that we can no longer play with fear, and I am sure we can go on a run and move ourselves up the table. We just need to keep the faith and keep playing the way we are. This style of passing football is the future and if we want success for years to come it is the way we need to play and SOD is the best man to do this.

I am actually quite excited for the next game now which is the first time that has happened for years too. Always believe. City Till I Die.

exactly great performances count for nothing, we really need to start seeing some results.

O'Driscoll has been given money to spend and the opportunity to rid the club of a lot of the mediocre players that have hampered us for the last few years. This is now very much his team and anyone who suggests any differently is seeing things in a way that i cant.

Thus far the signings bar Emmanuel-Thomas have looked average and we are soft to the core.

While not expecting to go straight back up, i was hoping for a play off push given the experience of our manager and a squad of players of whom there is plenty of championship experience within it. I get the impression that clubs are now looking forward to playing against us as they see that we have some awful problems in defence.

We need to start turning the corner and Saturday is a must 3 points for me to stop the rot and install some belief into a team that does not understand winning.

The o.p.talks about us playing the best hes ever seen for 25 mins and how the team played with freedom.was this not because higher division sides give you more space and and are not in your face from minute 1 of a game? You can only play as well as the opposition allows is a hard fact of life and until we find a way of combating teams in this division who set out to stop us playing we will continue to struggle to some degree.we will continue with SoD but things should improve, there's no guarantees of course and our season could still go either way at this early stage, time and maybe lots of it will be needed before we see the best of this squad.would be madness not to stick with SoD imho.

The o.p.talks about us playing the best hes ever seen for 25 mins and how the team played with freedom.was this not because higher division sides give you more space and and are not in your face from minute 1 of a game? You can only play as well as the opposition allows is a hard fact of life and until we find a way of combating teams in this division who set out to stop us playing we will continue to struggle to some degree.we will continue with SoD but things should improve, there's no guarantees of course and our season could still go either way at this early stage, time and maybe lots of it will be needed before we see the best of this squad.would be madness not to stick with SoD imho.

I do agree with you on this and I said to my brother during the game that Southampton were giving us too much respect and too much time on the ball. However, it doesn't change that fact that the football we played in that period was superb. To get 50% possession away to Southampton is an achievement in itself. The results will come.

SOD has been successful in the past, but only when Richard O'Kelly has been his assistant. You only have to see what Walsall did last season and seem to be taking into this.

Walsall have had to use kids supplemented with a few more experienced heads around them. They went through a really iffy patch before Xmas last season when they didn't get a league win for 14 games and the fans were calling for Dean Smith's head. Then they went on a great run after Xmas and were flirting with the play-offs. They developed a reputation for playing good football and although they lost Patterson and Grigg this summer the core of a young team that's developed together and now has a set way of playing has blossomed and they can recruit the right player to fill positions. Sound familiar?

how many teams stick with a manager that hasnt won a league game for nearly 7 months?

This is the bottom... whether people like it or not he's on borrowed time (you could argue that all managers always are!).

For what it's worth I think we're likely to win a couple soon.

My concern would be what then? We need some more grit and experience in the team. Who are the players to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when we're having a quiet spell or when we are losing our way or to get the side focused when we've scored (avoiding quickly conceding).

I think choice of Baldock as captain shows how limited we are in the "experienced leaders dept" and we lack a comanding 'keeper and for whatever reason we seem unable to get Carey or Harewood on the pitch.

We've lots of talented players but ourlack of leaders and organisers is still a problem. Some of the current squad will develop into leaders (Bryan, Flint?) if we don't ruin them along the way.

how many teams stick with a manager that hasnt won a league game for nearly 7 months?

Don't get me wrong, 8 LEAGUE games (we have won 3 cup matches after all) without a win is not great under any circumstances but I think we can dismiss the run of poor results at the end of last season as it was a completely different team.

He has had to rebuild almost an entire squad & change a mentality that has brought the club down for seasons.

Before the moaners shoot me down they should consider the team that played last game of the season & Tuesdays game only had 2 of the same players in it & they were youngsters Reid & Bryan. You could also argue that we fielded a weaker team due to the competition & that our 1st choice team vs Swindle only consisted of one player the same.

People moan about SODs apparent lack of enthusiasm. Well he was pretty enthusiastic enough to turn down two championship clubs to embark on this long term project. I don't think there would be many managers keen to take on an impending relegation, losing all his star players, having to rebuild a complete squad with a comparative pittance (in fees & wages) etc knowing it could be a season or two to show any signs of success.

It's certainly a work in progress but it shows signs of bearing fruit at long last. It's defiantly more enjoyable to watch.

So far Im disappointed wit the points we have. Sod have to make the defeince solid. Mark be first on the player away with the ball keep it simple, we are not BM or Barca..We can play the ball niece and have good strikers. Confidence are missing and Imo itsi a must win on saturday. Still believe SOD is the right man for the club. We have tobegin to win in the leauge hat is the fact.

Archived