IGNORED

Attacking Corners

ciderbeans

Something that needs to be thought of more. coaches will go on about possession, pass and move and all that jazz but an end product from that are corners.

Corners are something we currently havent been effective at. They provide a free opportunity to get the ball in the opposition box and have an attempt at goal. We have flint who is probably the tallest man in the league who we arent really making use of.

Alot of our corners are played short and lost even to the extent that we have conceded goals from a counter attack from our own corner.

It doesnt seem to be something that is really picked up on, but if it is, maybe it could be the difference between us winning games or not.

Am I alone in thinking this or is it something other supporters have noticed?

I don't think we have had a regular scorer from set plays since Shaun Taylor.

You would like to think we would exploit the aerial ability of Flint whenever possible. Marv is also good with his head in the box.

We certainly have players capable of making the most of a decent delivery.

Flint should already have 5-6 goals already this season either direct from corners or from second phase balls back into the box. For Saturday to have been his first is a poor return IMHO and something he needs to improve on. Should have scored the winner against Shrewsbury last week and the chance against Wolves. He's also had a few free headers headed straight over unmarked. He's not the only one guilty of this but he has wasted chances that have cost us points.

Kind of agree that he could be more clinical, in his defence the quality of delivery isn't always great.

Enough has been on a plate for him to have more than just the one goal. He gets his head on the lopped back in ball after JET equalised last week and we wouldn't be sitting here now talking about Colchester being a 'must-win game'. His lack of anticipation on that cost us 3 points despite what had gone before it in that game.

If I'm not mistaken I remember SO'D saying he has no part to play in corners, he lets the players be creative and think up there own set pieces.

I sincerely hope that this has changed or dreamt this when I was on morphine?!?!?!

Not imagining it. Definitely saw that somewhere too. Maybe he needs to bring it back in house

this thread isn't about a deficiency in flints ability, its about how our team as a whole arent making the most of attacking corners. Huge wasted opportunity and if you are right in saying the players are allowed their own creative freedom on corners, it doesnt say much for their creativeness.

There needs to be more structure when it comes to corners. Its not like a free kick where you have people guessing. Either the ball will come in or it wont.

If the ball does come in, its up to us to attack it simple as and if it is cleared, we should be attacking the second ball on the edge.

Must be addressed.

this thread isn't about a deficiency in flints ability, its about how our team as a whole arent making the most of attacking corners. Huge wasted opportunity and if you are right in saying the players are allowed their own creative freedom on corners, it doesnt say much for their creativeness.

There needs to be more structure when it comes to corners. Its not like a free kick where you have people guessing. Either the ball will come in or it wont.

If the ball does come in, its up to us to attack it simple as and if it is cleared, we should be attacking the second ball on the edge.

Must be addressed.

Sorry but I disagree, you can change the angle the ball comes in at and catch the opposition off guard by not doing the predictable thing of always lumping it into the six yard box. We worked a really good short corner against Shrewsbury, again after we equalised, when McLaughlin had a clean strike on goal unmarked on the edge of the box. It wasn't a great strike but it was a good opportunity.

Asides from Flint we're not a team of giants, only Marv is really the other player with any aerial ability, so if the opposition have eight players defending in the box but we've only got 2 that are likely to attack it in the air, surely being creative in mixing things up a bit makes more sense?

Just because it doesn't conform to what everyone expects now doesn't mean it can't be a strength of ours in the long run? You say it's not like a free kick where you have people guessing but why can't it be like that? Who's making up the rules?

Our lack of ability and goals at corners has been a source of frustration for ages with me now. Also free kicks just outside the area seem weak. Have we had anyone score from a direct free kick yet this season? Can remember Davies and Albert scoring from them last year. Who is our main threat this year ?

Our lack of ability and goals at corners has been a source of frustration for ages with me now. Also free kicks just outside the area seem weak. Have we had anyone score from a direct free kick yet this season? Can remember Davies and Albert scoring from them last year. Who is our main threat this year ?

JET at Coventry although it was deflected.

Flint should already have 5-6 goals already this season either direct from corners or from second phase balls back into the box. For Saturday to have been his first is a poor return IMHO and something he needs to improve on. Should have scored the winner against Shrewsbury last week and the chance against Wolves. He's also had a few free headers headed straight over unmarked. He's not the only one guilty of this but he has wasted chances that have cost us points.

Is this a joke? A centre-back should have 5-6 goals already this season?! Even from a centre-forward that would be a good, bordering on very good return.

Yes he could be more clinical, but frankly if he got 5-6 goals a season I'd say that was okay, any more decent going.

Whilst you can point to chances the point is he is a defender. Much better he can head it up and away 15 yards than direct a header to the onion bag.

Aceept he could improve how clinical he is, but to suggest 5-6 goals already by now and 1 in 8 league games is poor is quite laughable.

Noticed Arsenal scored 3 from set plays, I think.

Also remember a Doncaster fan on here, stating his side were pretty shit at both ends regarding corners.

He did manage to take a club of Doncaster's stature into the Championship and a twelth place finish, before a series of injuries to his starters saw them marooned and he lost his job - so they forgave his quirquiness regarding approach to corners. Funilly enough, think SODS legacy is still set at Donny.

Flint could easily have had a couple of goals from corners so far and he was clearly frustrated at himself a couple of times for not finishing.

Scored v Swindon from Pack's corner. Pack used to take the corners at Cheltenham and his delivery was regularly spot on - whipped at pace bang onto the edge of the 6 yard box - ideal for big centrehalves to attack and somewhere the keeper won't generally come through traffic to claim.

I'm all for Pack being our regular corner taker.

Archived