IGNORED

Slightly More Positive

WiltshireRed

I regularly read this forum however for whatever reasons rarely actually post however with all the negative posts floating about I thought, for what it's worth, I'd give my slightly brighter opinion on our team/season.

Coming into this season it was obvious to everyone that the transition would take time however I feel a lot of people didn't realise HOW long. I know SOD took over last season as many people have stated so it technically is nearing a year with him at the helm however last season he was stuck with a lot of players which weren't his and possibly didn't suit his style of football. It's unlikely IMO that he actually asked them to start playing the football he told them to play at the beginning of this pre season and changing style etc. would take out a huge chunk of time last season that we didn't have. The start of the season saw a lot of chopping and changing of players, in fact if you look at our team today, only Elliot (IMO) can be included as a player who isn't "new" that is frequently appearing in our games, this alone shows the huge amount of changes we've made. A lot of our players are young and inexperienced, many of them have never experienced a league win in a city shirt and the ones that have, never have been relaxed in a team who are doing well and picking up points. Their current team and personal (in most cases) confidence obviously is very low however when those first couple of wins inevitably come, that very negative could be a huge positive, I think our team of new and young players will be buzzing when the club is feeling good and this will get another 10% out of them in terms of ability which will then improve our point tally. Don't get me wrong, I don't have us down for top 6 however this transition season is what it says on the tin and I just feel more fans need to recognise this.

In terms of SOD, people wanting out etc. should have a think. He is EXACTLY what this club needs, a level headed, boring, cards close to his chest person. He unarguably IS a good manager and does get teams playing well on a smaller budget than rivals, it'll just take time! Lansdown has clearly appointed him looking for a more sustainable future, which is the right option, so that he isn't just throwing money at us with no return forever. This is actually positive for us fans too, it's not just him wanting to keep those extra couple of million every year. Look at how football is going and tell yourself that it isn't a business these days, like it or not, that's what it is, therefore this is what we should be doing and trying to break even / make profit so that eventually, theoretically, we could run with no millionaire owner.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that we are basing our future on Arsenal, a sustainable team that plays attractive passing football. Now look how long in took them to get to where they are now (I know they previously did it with the Henry, Pires side) whilst there rivals Chelsea, Man United, Man City etc. have all opted for our old style of giving as much money as the manager wants to spend on as many players as it takes to get success. I know we won't ever (or at least for a long while) get as far as Arsenal but we can still base our club ethics on them. (Also note the similarities between boring, monotonial Wenger and SOD).

Anyway I'm just saying that we will be fine, we won't go up, we won't go down.

I regularly read this forum however for whatever reasons rarely actually post however with all the negative posts floating about I thought, for what it's worth, I'd give my slightly brighter opinion on our team/season.

Coming into this season it was obvious to everyone that the transition would take time however I feel a lot of people didn't realise HOW long. I know SOD took over last season as many people have stated so it technically is nearing a year with him at the helm however last season he was stuck with a lot of players which weren't his and possibly didn't suit his style of football. It's unlikely IMO that he actually asked them to start playing the football he told them to play at the beginning of this pre season and changing style etc. would take out a huge chunk of time last season that we didn't have. The start of the season saw a lot of chopping and changing of players, in fact if you look at our team today, only Elliot (IMO) can be included as a player who isn't "new" that is frequently appearing in our games, this alone shows the huge amount of changes we've made. A lot of our players are young and inexperienced, many of them have never experienced a league win in a city shirt and the ones that have, never have been relaxed in a team who are doing well and picking up points. Their current team and personal (in most cases) confidence obviously is very low however when those first couple of wins inevitably come, that very negative could be a huge positive, I think our team of new and young players will be buzzing when the club is feeling good and this will get another 10% out of them in terms of ability which will then improve our point tally. Don't get me wrong, I don't have us down for top 6 however this transition season is what it says on the tin and I just feel more fans need to recognise this.

In terms of SOD, people wanting out etc. should have a think. He is EXACTLY what this club needs, a level headed, boring, cards close to his chest person. He unarguably IS a good manager and does get teams playing well on a smaller budget than rivals, it'll just take time! Lansdown has clearly appointed him looking for a more sustainable future, which is the right option, so that he isn't just throwing money at us with no return forever. This is actually positive for us fans too, it's not just him wanting to keep those extra couple of million every year. Look at how football is going and tell yourself that it isn't a business these days, like it or not, that's what it is, therefore this is what we should be doing and trying to break even / make profit so that eventually, theoretically, we could run with no millionaire owner.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that we are basing our future on Arsenal, a sustainable team that plays attractive passing football. Now look how long in took them to get to where they are now (I know they previously did it with the Henry, Pires side) whilst there rivals Chelsea, Man United, Man City etc. have all opted for our old style of giving as much money as the manager wants to spend on as many players as it takes to get success. I know we won't ever (or at least for a long while) get as far as Arsenal but we can still base our club ethics on them. (Also note the similarities between boring, monotonial Wenger and SOD).

Good post and +1 although I hope you're wearing your tin hat ;)

Well, 2 or 3

Archived