IGNORED

Jet Taking Corners ?

RobinYourHood

Can someone explain to me why we have JET taking the majority of our corners ? Surely a player of his size should be in the box.

100% agree. At one point in the first half yesterday he was pleading for another player to take the corner but ended up taking it himself resulting in the ball dropping straight into the keepers arms. We really are clueless from corners. 15 was it yesterday ? and nothing to show from it !

Actually someone is suggesting he should be in the box because of his size...when he can't hold the ball/head it that well... although he did get onto the end of one corner but didn't do enough with it.

I do agree with Red Robbo about his shot personally think he should be around the edge of the box to take a first time shot if it comes to him.

Can someone explain to me why we have JET taking the majority of our corners ? Surely a player of his size should be in the box.

Not the greatest in the air is he. and now often does the ball fall just outside the box after a flick on or half clearance for anyone let alone JET to take a smash at it.?

But there is merit in your question, he would at the very least give the opposition something to worry about.

Putting JET in the middle might actually cause the opposition to put their best header-er on him and thus free up one of our better header-ers.

One thing I dont get is SOD goes on about parts of the game that you can control ie. throw ins, goal kicks etc.. and yet refuses to practice corners???!

I think Shorey, Bryan, Reid and Pack are all players who could have a decent go. JET's delivery isn't great and we could do with his size in the box. He isn't the best in his air but he could just drag away a big man to give another one of our guys a better chance in the box. I don't like the short corners if I'm honest, the odd one is ok but we do them very frequently and miss out on getting the ball in the box a lot of the time.

JET is useless in the air, which is probably the main reason he's not in there. he's more useful taking the corners. if anything, he could be used to distract their bigger markers, but any team with decent scouting would realise he's not much of an aerial threat

Not all goals from corners are scored with the head. I'd stick him on the edge of the box, for rebounds and loose balls.

Not all goals from corners are scored with the head. I'd stick him on the edge of the box, for rebounds and loose balls.

fair point, well made. my argument would be that JET tends to need 30 seconds of dithering before actually doing anything on the ball, and would probably be closed down far too quickly in that situation, but it's certainly worth a go. when he does make up his mind, he does some fantastic stuff, but boy does he slow down the game!

I was delighted to see a few "real" corners in the second half, probably because Harewood was on.

Quite apart from the fact that they never work, fancy corners often leave a player stranded in the corner for the inevitable breakaway by the opposition, as in Colchester's goal.

Wow what a question....have you ever seen him in the air?

Have you seen him play?

Wow what a question....have you ever seen him in the air?

Have you seen him play?

No mate just been using him on fifa and he's pretty lethal. Course I've seen him play you nause. Would rather have him in the box than having a player whos just above 5ft in the box. Does that not make sense ?

Whilst he isn't the greatest in the air and seems unable to get off the ground when he jumps, to me it makes no sense at all not having him in the box when we have a corner.

The opposition would see someone of his size in the box and without doubt feel they need to put one of their best headers of a ball on him. So at the very least he will occupy one of their best defenders which could in turn make it easier for someone like Flint to win the ball in the air from the corner. I would also say that for me there isn't anyone in the squad I would rather have the second ball dropping to in the box than JET. If he connects with it like we all know he can from inside the box the keeper isn't getting anywhere near it.

Also in Shorey and Pack don't we have two excellent corner takers? Pack in particular seemed to have superb dead ball delivery whenever I watched him for Cheltenham and he took the corner we scored from at Swindon, but it seems we are reluctant for him to take on corner taking responsibilities.

I would also be interested if anyone could explain to me the thought process on Saturday behind taking yet another short corner, it getting blocked (don't they all?), the ball going out for a throw and then JET coming over to launch the ball in the box? If we wanted to get the ball in the box, why didn't we try doing it from the corner we had 10 seconds earlier?

Whilst he isn't the greatest in the air and seems unable to get off the ground when he jumps, to me it makes no sense at all not having him in the box when we have a corner.

The opposition would see someone of his size in the box and without doubt feel they need to put one of their best headers of a ball on him. So at the very least he will occupy one of their best defenders which could in turn make it easier for someone like Flint to win the ball in the air from the corner. I would also say that for me there isn't anyone in the squad I would rather have the second ball dropping to in the box than JET. If he connects with it like we all know he can from inside the box the keeper isn't getting anywhere near it.

Also in Shorey and Pack don't we have two excellent corner takers? Pack in particular seemed to have superb dead ball delivery whenever I watched him for Cheltenham and he took the corner we scored from at Swindon, but it seems we are reluctant for him to take on corner taking responsibilities.

I would also be interested if anyone could explain to me the thought process on Saturday behind taking yet another short corner, it getting blocked (don't they all?), the ball going out for a throw and then JET coming over to launch the ball in the box? If we wanted to get the ball in the box, why didn't we try doing it from the corner we had 10 seconds earlier?

+ several million.

i am a huge fan of JET having said this he just as well take the corners as if he has a genuinely weak part to his game is the fact that he can't head for toffee. i also dont understand why we keep persisting with taking short corners that we are absolutely useless at and never seems to work and why dont we use JETS long throw more when we have a throw in near the corner flag? surely all basic beneficial stuff!

Archived