IGNORED

The Worst Run In Our History - But ....?

robc

I may have missed it – but I don’t think that anyone else has picked up that our winless League run of 18 games is now comfortably the worst in our History as a Football Club. The Record Books tell us that our previous worst was a 15 game spell without a League win exactly 80 years ago.

Add that to last Season’s other all time records – our most ever Home League Defeats (11) and our most overall League Defeats (27) - and you’d have to say that these are desperately depressing times to be a City fan.

That said, I am feeling a bit more optimistic than some in this Forum. I accept that I may be clutching at Straws but having attended almost all the games this Season I think that the worst may be almost over. We’ve got some decent players for this Division – and a youngish Squad – and I remain convinced that we have an intelligent and able manager.

It is true that our passing game remains largely confined to the Back Four right now (passing across the line to each other!), and that hitting long aerial balls to Sam Baldock remain a frustratingly pointless affair. But Sean has signed some good players and JET is not just a crowd pleaser - but a potential match winner. I still think that we need a bit more muscle through the spine of the team, but most of all we need a win to give everyone a lift and get that all elusive self confidence and belief back.

This team is nothing like as poor as the Team(s) we fielded during our all too frequent relegations in the 1980s and 1990s – so let’s get behind them and begin the march up the Table!

I may have missed it – but I don’t think that anyone else has picked up that our winless League run of 18 games is now comfortably the worst in our History as a Football Club. The Record Books tell us that our previous worst was a 15 game spell without a League win exactly 80 years ago.

Add that to last Season’s other all time records – our most ever Home League Defeats (11) and our most overall League Defeats (27) - and you’d have to say that these are desperately depressing times to be a City fan.

That said, I am feeling a bit more optimistic than some in this Forum. I accept that I may be clutching at Straws but having attended almost all the games this Season I think that the worst may be almost over. We’ve got some decent players for this Division – and a youngish Squad – and I remain convinced that we have an intelligent and able manager.

It is true that our passing game remains largely confined to the Back Four right now (passing across the line to each other!), and that hitting long aerial balls to Sam Baldock remain a frustratingly pointless affair. But Sean has signed some good players and JET is not just a crowd pleaser - but a potential match winner. I still think that we need a bit more muscle through the spine of the team, but most of all we need a win to give everyone a lift and get that all elusive self confidence and belief back.

This team is nothing like as poor as the Team(s) we fielded during our all too frequent relegations in the 1980s and 1990s – so let’s get behind them and begin the march up the Table!

Easily one of the best posts I have read on here in quite some time

UP THE CITY!

You might be correct, I hope you are, but as I said on another thread, have a look at the extended highlights of the Colchester game in fact have look at the extended highlights of virtually any game in the past 3 years, the problem is glaringly easy to spot and it will stop us ever becoming a consistent team and that is only situation that will enable us to move forward, it's a very important part of the game and we have somehow at BCFC we have lost the ability to carry it out, it's called tackling the ease that teams even poor teams like Colchester can move the ball from their area into ours without a meaningful tackle being made sometimes beggars belief, we need to sort that part of the game and maybe the rest will fall into place.

The worst run in 80 years, you say?

Probably, but we were bottom of Div 4 in the 1980's for a brief spell.

Reason to be cheerful?

:badmood:

Other reasons include:

- we don't have Tiny P*nis as manager

- we aren't paying silly amounts of money for useless journeymen

- we have an experienced manager, rather than a novice who may or may not turn out to be good

- we have abandoned our policy of signing only Scottish players

- we are still playing in our traditional colours, and have no plans to change our name to the Bristol [insert silly animal name]s

- we are not owned by Indian chicken people, a chav tracksuit salesman, or US "soccer" fans

- we don't have flipping stupid quarters on our shirts.

Yes, but we're in transition. So if it's the same as 80 years ago then we can look forward to Premier League football in about 50 years then. That'll be a nice present along with me telegram from the King.

Other reasons include:

- we don't have Tiny P*nis as manager

- we aren't paying silly amounts of money for useless journeymen

- we have an experienced manager, rather than a novice who may or may not turn out to be good

- we have abandoned our policy of signing only Scottish players

- we are still playing in our traditional colours, and have no plans to change our name to the Bristol [insert silly animal name]s

- we are not owned by Indian chicken people, a chav tracksuit salesman, or US "soccer" fans

- we don't have flipping stupid quarters on our shirts.

I like it :)

I admire your optimism but the sentence I've highlighted does not represent good progress, considering how long the manager has had to work with these players (15-16 games including friendlies, and countless hours on the training ground).

And which King is your money on Cheese?

Who cares! But given that there are now 3 lined up after the current incumbent and given that the British are not ones for changing "tradition" particularly quickly, I guess it will be one of them.

You might be correct, I hope you are, but as I said on another thread, have a look at the extended highlights of the Colchester game in fact have look at the extended highlights of virtually any game in the past 3 years, the problem is glaringly easy to spot and it will stop us ever becoming a consistent team and that is only situation that will enable us to move forward, it's a very important part of the game and we have somehow at BCFC we have lost the ability to carry it out, it's called tackling the ease that teams even poor teams like Colchester can move the ball from their area into ours without a meaningful tackle being made sometimes beggars belief, we need to sort that part of the game and maybe the rest will fall into place.

Spot on, Wycombe closed us down as soon as possible last night, in packs if required. We on the other hand did little or any of it last night. Wycombe MUST have been surprised how much space they had all game....

OK. Reasons to be cheerful?

1. None of us reading this thread are dead.

2. The sun did not go out yesterday, plunging us into freezing, eternal darkness.

3. The US have not started a nuclear war. Yet.

4. BigTone's joke of the day thread.

5. Holly Green - who has recently started doing the weather on Points West.

6. I can still remember Alan Walsh regularly lashing the pigs bladder into the onion bag from my seat in the Dolman.

7. Airedale terriers.

............ but APART from the 'bleeding obvious' ..............

OK. Reasons to be cheerful?

1. None of us reading this thread are dead.

2. The sun did not go out yesterday, plunging us into freezing, eternal darkness.

3. The US have not started a nuclear war. Yet.

4. BigTone's joke of the day thread.

5. Holly Green - who has recently started doing the weather on Points West.

6. I can still remember Alan Walsh regularly lashing the pigs bladder into the onion bag from my seat in the Dolman.

7. Airedale terriers.

............ but APART from the 'bleeding obvious' ..............

I disagree with no 1

Reasons to be cheerful... Glad I am not in the UK to suffer as much as those who are... It's very good to have plenty of nice distractions that make you smile home or abroad when the beloved City are in the doldrums and maybe, just maybe, this is about as low as its gonna get. Surely? Yeahhhhhhhh.

Archived