IGNORED

Don't Shoot Me Down!

Negan

The idea that a club in the position we find ourselves in would even contemplate letting SOD go is completely laughable. I swear some city fans still believe there is someone out there with a magic wand who could come in and, on a very limited budget, turn the long-term fortunes of this club round within a few weeks. It takes determination, and its not always going to be pretty, but ffs give it time (ie 2 or 3 seasons)!

The idea that a club in the position we find ourselves in would even contemplate letting SOD go is completely laughable. I swear some city fans still believe there is someone out there with a magic wand who could come in and, on a very limited budget, turn the long-term fortunes of this club round within a few weeks. It takes determination, and its not always going to be pretty, but ffs give it time (ie 2 or 3 seasons)!

I'm sure that if we had a manager who jumped up and down waving his arms, that would do the trick.

Not really, we've established that the long term plan in place will not be changed whoever the manager is.

If this manager has all the credentials, the right background, says all the right things, but somehow it's not getting through to the players and the club continues to falter to the extent of facing a double relegation then change would have to be made.

It's really very little to do with fan discontent - most fans seem resigned to a transitional season, but this generosity WON'T extend to accepting endless poor results and potential relegation - more what the board see day to day, that we don't, which gives an overall picture of his suitability for the task and the likelihood of tangible improvement. SO'D and SL apparently don't talk which could either be seen as extremely worrying as it was due to some sort of personality clash, or simply that SL, after getting far too close to managers in the past, has made a decision to hold his counsel and give the manager carte blanche to get on with the job with zero interference. Either way it doesn't sound healthy if there is indeed no direct communication between the two most important men at the club, and it doesn't really augur well for a long business relationship between the two. Far easier tro part company with someone you hardly know than someone - like GJ and KM - who you have worked closely with and has become a close friend.

I hope SO'D gets more time but results will dictate this, and if they don't improve very quickly, it wouldn't be 'laughable' to let SO'D go, it could indeed be seen as a dereliction of duty not to make a change.

We have Port Vale next and then probably a free week with the Crawley game in doubt. The board may feel that a defeat at PV may be the time to make a change with the new manager then having up to 14 days to get to know his squad.

One thing's for sure, the board will not accept the club spending this season under the threat of further relegation without acting decisively to try and prevent it. Given SO'D's dreadful record so far patience, and confidence in the manager, may be wearing thin and Saturday's result could indeed be crucial to SO'D's future.

Double post.

I hope SO'D gets more time but results will dictate this, and if they don't improve very quickly, it wouldn't be 'laughable' to let SO'D go, it could indeed be seen as a dereliction of duty not to make a change.

On the contrary, it would be a gross dereliction of duty to bring someone in on the remit that SOD, apparently, has, and then give him 10 games in league 1 before judging him. I just hope that the Board, if not some fans, have accepted the reality of the job that SOD has been given.

On the contrary, it would be a gross dereliction of duty to bring someone in on the remit that SOD, apparently, has, and then give him 10 games in league 1 before judging him. I just hope that the Board, if not some fans, have accepted the reality of the job that SOD has been given.

As they have employed the man to implement a 4 year plan it could be seen as a dereliction of duty to sack him.

Are we still ignoring last season then?

206 days since a league win BTW.

We should ignore last season.Why put the weight of someone elses failures on the new young team .it ain't their fault and they can't do anything about it.

Still glass half empty is n't it ?

Not talking about the team, talking about the Head Coach and his record.

Last season cannot be ignored if we are talking about SOD's record, it is, after all, still his record. (Ok it was largely someone elses squad)

That record shows, a non winning streak of 9 games at the end of the season and currently 9 games without a win at the start of this season (with largely his own team)

Whichever way you look at it, and whether you think he should be sacked or not, that is an appalling record for any manager to have on their CV.

Looking at the team in place, what changes could be made to improve performances?

Clearly we need to work on moving the ball around quicker and with geater purpose. There needs to be more movement and support for the player in posession, and anticipation of this to create space on the field of play.

The achillies heel is the head coaches reliance on 'building' the team around JET. It doesn't work if he doen't pull his weight. I don't think we'll ever get a game out of him, and we'll be better off playing a forward who can partner Baldock.

It's about the team. Not an individual having a couple of moments of brilliance every few games at the teams general expense. We'd do better with Harewood playing.

Will SOD realise his mistake in time, and will he be able to do anything about it.

That will dictate whether we can rescue the season and whether he has a longer term job here ...

We shouldn't ignore last season, SO'D was in charge for 44% of it........

I don't think anyone, including SOD himself, would regard him as a quick fix manager. He wants his teams to play in a certain way and, as was the case when he came to city, they are incapable of playing that way, he will be largely ineffective. IMO he did what he could with what we had when he came in - but that group were just not good enough to save themselves.

If the Board were not prepared to give him the time to assemble, and then further refine, his group of players, on sustainable terms and with the introduction of academy players, they should never have appointed him. He will need at least 3 seasons to turn things round here.

The board, and fans, are bound to judge SO'D constantly, both on progress on the field, and results.

THAT is the reality of the job he's been given - he'll be under no illusions about that and I'm sure you aren't either really.

We've all bought in to the new philosophy but you seem to have enormous faith in the individual, such that he must to be given unlimited time whatever happens.

Where that blind faith has come from I've no idea but it's clearly unrealistic for it to be shared by the majority of fans, or the board, without some tangible results.

The board are in place to take responsibilty for difficult and often unenviable decisions for the good of the club, and no doubt they take that responsibility very seriously.

While few would welcome further change, inertia while City tumble towards another relegation, would not be an option you'd welcome either, surely?

DP.

The board, and fans, are bound to judge SO'D constantly, both on progress on the field, and results.

THAT is the reality of the job he's been given - he'll be under no illusions about that and I'm sure you aren't either really.

We've all bought in to the new philosophy but you seem to have enormous faith in the individual, such that he must to be given unlimited time whatever happens.

Where that blind faith has come from I've no idea but it's clearly unrealistic for it to be shared by the majority of fans, or the board, without some tangible results.

The board are in place to take responsibilty for difficult and often unenviable decisions for the good of the club, and no doubt they take that responsibility very seriously.

While few would welcome further change, inertia while City tumble towards another relegation, would not be an option you'd welcome either, surely?

All good points - well made.

My faith is not blind. We have seen what SOD has done elsewhere, and that warrants a degree of faith that he can build something sustainable and successful at city. So far, he has met my expectations - I didnt expect us to survive in the championship last season, and, over the summer and since, he has assembled what I would regard as a decent FIRST squad under the new remit (nowhere near the finished product, but with much more promise than we have had for many years). Of course I would like more points on the board - but if they came from playing long-ball, geronimo type football we really wont have moved forward at all.

Looking at the team in place, what changes could be made to improve performances?

Clearly we need to work on moving the ball around quicker and with geater purpose. There needs to be more movement and support for the player in posession, and anticipation of this to create space on the field of play.

The achillies heel is the head coaches reliance on 'building' the team around JET. It doesn't work if he doen't pull his weight. I don't think we'll ever get a game out of him, and we'll be better off playing a forward who can partner Baldock.

It's about the team. Not an individual having a couple of moments of brilliance every few games at the teams general expense. We'd do better with Harewood playing.

Will SOD realise his mistake in time, and will he be able to do anything about it.

That will dictate whether we can rescue the season and whether he has a longer term job here ...

Jets not the problem, he contributed 7 goals this season plus assists, he's doing his bit where it matters, he can't be blamed for the continuing inability of the midfield and defence to simply do their jobs and defend. It must be heartbreaking to take the lead with a great goal only to see a catalogue of weak tackles and basic blunders give it away again.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this, but there's one reason I can see the rumour having some truth. The board let McInnes go when they saw somebody was available and didn't want to miss a potential window of appointment. In order for this rumour to have merit there would need to be a recently available manager who has a decent track record for working with kids, on a budget, looking to play decent football and build a team.

IF O'Driscoll were let go after Port Vale, Nigel Clough screams out as somebody consistent with everything the board has been saying.

I would stress, I still stand in the happy clapper "give him until the end of season, irrespective" camp. And I would vastly prefer SOD to Clough. But I think the SOD rumour has more credibility now that Clough has been sacked than it would have otherwise.

As alluded in an earlier post I think Neil Warnock maybe taking his manager's suit to the dry cleaners very soon

I hope SO'D is given a bit more time but if there was a Head Coach change the board would justify it by saying that the structure and objectives remain the same. That means acquiring predominantly under 24's and playing in a specific way (possession based if you like) throughout the club at all levels. I'm not sure Neil Warnock would buy into that philosophy or the board could justify his appointment but who knows.

We all judge things on results and looking in from the outside but the decision makers will have also have that extra element of how they get on with the manager and that's perhaps why Derek Mcinnes got a bit of 'extra time.'

I'm not sure SO'd will have such a cosy, affable relationship with JL, SL and the media team that DM had and perhaps that's a good thing for the former two at least but it probably won't buy him extra time.

I'd like to see SO'D succeed but seeing Warnock embrace stylish possession football and give plenty of pantomime style entertainment along the way would be interesting.

The one thing that SO'D currently has difficulty with is his mantra that performances are key as winning results go hand in hand with good performances. The team have been unlucky as some good performances haven't translated into points or, in particular, wins but there is only a certain length of time you can repeat something without the point of the saying coming true. Otherwise he has to admit that he has had ample time but failed to start producing the quality of performance that invariably results in wins and points.

If a change was made (I've obviously no idea whether there's any truth in the rumour) and the board wanted to stick to existing structure and plans, finding a suitable replacement would be very tricky........... That is until Nigel Clough became available. I can't think of a more likely fit (right down to the ability to continually buy ex-Derby and ex-Forest players).

If the board see it the same way then SOD may well need that win very, very quickly.

For what it's worth, I reckon Clough would be an interesting option (but I'm still a Warnock man!).

Agree Clough is an interesting option IF we had a vacancy, but I think I'd feel about him what I felt when SOD rocked up: the right direction but the wrong time. As much as people get lambasted for wanting a heart-on-the-sleeve gaffer I truly believe to get an immediate impact that is what we need.

A few years ago I'd have recoiled in horror at Warnock coming in because at that time I thought we needed your Clough, your SOD etc. Now I think Warnock is the standout candidate because we have a short-term goal. That is to stop the rot and consolidate. Once that is done you then can think about a long-term, sustainable project. I just honestly hold the opinion that right now an intellectual is not what we need.

Archived