IGNORED

Sod And This Season Reminds Me Off The Early Days Of Dick's Era.

gavlin

I wouldn't say the youth policy had been abandoned, anyone who went to the reserves in those days would see lots of young players coming through. The problem was that AD became too loyal to "his" first team and that coupled with them being comparatively young, meant that it was difficult for the next generation to get 1st team football. They either moved on or stagnated until they ended up at Bath City or somewhere else local.

There were also some issues in that the FA changed the rules over how youth players could be sourced, for years there was a youth team playing in the Glasgow leagues called "Bristol City", a lot of players were brought in through that stream until that kind of practice was outlawed.

Agreed, that's the sense in which I meant the policy had been abandoned.

I'm not so sure. At one point only Liverpool and Everton were paying higher wages, so we attracted the likes of Royle, Hunter and Cormack. We had a replacement for Paul in Colin Lee, who went on to play for Spurs after all, but by then the youth policy had been pretty much abandoned. Imo Paul was going to be the best centre forward in England, better than Paul Mariner, so replacing him was a hell of a problem.

With respect to Hunter,Royle And Cormack they were n't in the First flushes of their careers,still good but on the way down .

Colin Lee another City disappointment, except against the Gas meh !

There are a lot of similarities between this season and the early part of the Dick's era, Dolman wouldn't splash the cash. Remember the chants from the East End of Cheque Book, Cheque Book on a number of occasions. But Dick's success was founded in this period when he started bring on younger players the first of which was Chris Garland. Dick's was allowed time even though the threat of relegation loomed over the club for a number seasons. There was a season in the early seventies where we drew game after game and it looked like relegation was on the cards until we started to win and win again as the confidence and belief of the players grew to help City retain their Division One status. Dicks was a quiet man and I see similarities between him and SOD. Lets give him time.

My personal feelings are that we have nothing to lose in the long run with S'OD. As a club we have spent money and changed managers like a young man changes girlfriends!

It's time to grow up and stick with the girl that you want to take home to meet your Mother & Father, she might not be the most exciting but sometimes you just know that she will be the one and a be a terrifically good Mother for your children. Mind you we all know that the quiet ones can be stunningly 'Hot' when they feel confident......

With Shaun, we have a good manager that really does know his stuff he will build a 'Bristol City FC' that we can be proud of..... it is going to take time and who knows we might slip down again but it won't be just for all the wrong reasons because when he does get it right and firing on all 11 cylinders (plus the other squad members) they will be dynamite.

Shaun is honest and frank...... if we can't handle that he knows that is our problem not his..... he can get a job as a Manager (or head coach) tomorrow, but he has taken this on as a long term project and a long term project it will be..... we've tried it most other ways...... we need to grit our teeth and knuckle down (it ain't gonna be easy - look at the one major mistake yesterday in an otherwise perfect game).

Slappers are good fun and there are as many male slappers as female.......... ask yourself this though..... are you going to take her/him home to meet your parents?

Cant remember A.D off loading all his best players when he got here? Who is the new Chris Garland, John Galley, Gerry Gow, G Merrick ? Sorry but we seem to have a load of tat at the moment, there maybe those who think we have all great players.....they aint.

How much time should we give, as the poll asks? the clock is ticking, improved results before xmas or he should be shown the door i.m.o.

How much time?

My answer is................. as long as it takes!

Archived