IGNORED

Estonia V Turkey

EstoniaTallinnRed

My wife and I are going to the A Le Coq Stadium here in Tallinn tonight to watch Estonia against Turkey in the World Cup Qualifiers, it is only about 10 minutes from where we live by bus. Although Estonia has no chance of qualifying it should be a good game with I hope a few goals.

The kick off is 21.30 here which is 19.30 UK time and the weather is expected to be fine with a temperature of 4 c, at the moment it is 12 c with bright sunshine. I will also be checking on the England score and result. The best of luck to England and Estonian.

Is it true that one of the highlights for tourists on a trip to Tallinn is an old, disused ex-Soviet power station? :gasmask:

No it's not! Can you tell me where it is? as I have been living here for well over three years and I have never seen or heard of this power station. Tallinn, if you have ever been here, or even bothered to find out, has one of the oldest and well preserved Old Towns in Europe. It is first mentioned in the 12th century and is visited by millions of tourists from all over the world every year. It is included in the UNESCO cultural heritage of Europe. The port is modern and well run with ferries going every day of the year to Finland, Sweden, and Germany dispite the Baltic sea freezing in winter, also lots of cruises come here in the spring and summer. We have a free public transport system for residents that would put Bristol's to shame, we get a bus every 3 minutes and NO! nothing stops even when we have 12 inches of snow, which is common in Winter. Tallinn is also a very green city with lots of parks and lakes, not grey and forboding as everyone in the west is told about the old Soviet Union states. In 2011 it was the Cultural Capital of Europe. Do you know that Skype was developed here? and indeed still has it head office in Tallinn. When you consider that the total population of Estonia is only 1.3 million and 420, 000 of these live in Tallinn, this country has done very well since the old Soviet days and since joining the EU in 2004 and having a good economic policy joined the Euro currency almost two years ago. So you see it is not the back water you are trying to make out it is and I wish posters would come and see the country and especially Tallinn before they spout rubbish like this. On the other hand I returned to Bristol a few years ago and could not see very much improvement going on and the buses were expensive and few and far between, and was also disappointed when I watched City get beaten by Reading 2-3 after being 2-0 up with Reading scoring 3 goals in 17 minutes, that cost me and my wife £50 and we watched Noome Kaju play in the Champions League this summer for 5 euros, not pounds, for both of us. Tonights match against Turkey is only costing 22 euros for both of us in the best seats.

• Admin

Good bit of copy and paste there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallinn_Power_Station

On the basis, that we are on the other side of Europe and know about it speaks volumes

This is from the Estonian Tourist inofmation site http://www.visitestonia.com/en/search?q=power+station&utm_medium=button_search&utm_campaign=header&utm_source=ve

On the basis, that we are on the other side of Europe and know about it speaks volumes

This is from the Estonian Tourist inofmation site http://www.visitestonia.com/en/search?q=power+station&utm_medium=button_search&utm_campaign=header&utm_source=ve

Thank you Phantom, I rest my case!

Only joking ETR, I'm sure it's a great place to live and the public transport system makes Bristol seem like ancient Rome.

No it's not! Can you tell me where it is? as I have been living here for well over three years and I have never seen or heard of this power station. Tallinn, if you have ever been here, or even bothered to find out, has one of the oldest and well preserved Old Towns in Europe. It is first mentioned in the 12th century and is visited by millions of tourists from all over the world every year. It is included in the UNESCO cultural heritage of Europe. The port is modern and well run with ferries going every day of the year to Finland, Sweden, and Germany dispite the Baltic sea freezing in winter, also lots of cruises come here in the spring and summer. We have a free public transport system for residents that would put Bristol's to shame, we get a bus every 3 minutes and NO! nothing stops even when we have 12 inches of snow, which is common in Winter. Tallinn is also a very green city with lots of parks and lakes, not grey and forboding as everyone in the west is told about the old Soviet Union states. In 2011 it was the Cultural Capital of Europe. Do you know that Skype was developed here? and indeed still has it head office in Tallinn. When you consider that the total population of Estonia is only 1.3 million and 420, 000 of these live in Tallinn, this country has done very well since the old Soviet days and since joining the EU in 2004 and having a good economic policy joined the Euro currency almost two years ago. So you see it is not the back water you are trying to make out it is and I wish posters would come and see the country and especially Tallinn before they spout rubbish like this. On the other hand I returned to Bristol a few years ago and could not see very much improvement going on and the buses were expensive and few and far between, and was also disappointed when I watched City get beaten by Reading 2-3 after being 2-0 up with Reading scoring 3 goals in 17 minutes, that cost me and my wife £50 and we watched Noome Kaju play in the Champions League this summer for 5 euros, not pounds, for both of us. Tonights match against Turkey is only costing 22 euros for both of us in the best seats.

I live in Stockholm at the moment and having made the short baltic trip to Tallinn a few times, I can vouch for you sir. It really is a stunning place, a fairytale of an old town, some really buzzing bohemian areas on the other side of Baalti Jaam (no, it's not a jam flavoured curry!) and stunning beach strips as far as the eye can see towards Haabneeme, with views back across the City. Very impressive place and somewhere I will be revisiting aplenty.

You follow a local team out there? Mine in Stockholm is AIK. In a nutshell, it's equally frustrating as watching City.

As for the match tonight, it should be a decent affair as Turkey are in with a good shout of second spot, battling it out with Hungary and Romania. A good friend of mine is from Bucharest so hopefully Estonia can do them a favour. I dont think i'm going out on a limb to state that Turkey aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

I shall be at Friends Arena watching Jonas Olsson strut his stuff against Austria - also a vital match in the battle for a playoff spot.

Enjoy!

That's OK if you are interested in seeing power stations, take Battersea for instances, the point I was trying to get over was that the poster tried to imply that that was all there was to see in Tallinn and as he has never been here, he wouldn't know otherwise. You shouldn't say things about places if you have never been there, just shows how narrow minded you are. I have been to Moscow and St Petersburg and don't find them much different from cities in the west, that's apart from St Petersburg being so beautiful. People in the west only know what they were told about eastern block countries, especially Russia, my wife lived through the Soviet period and OK somethings were bad as in all countries, but not as bad as the politicians in the West would have you believe. My wife says that Russians were brainwashed about the West, but most people didn't believe what they were told, but unfortunately people in the West always seem to believe things that are not always true that are published in the papers and the general media and of course who would believe what a politician says! For instance, the recent outcry about so called Gay bashing in Russian and their human rights, all the Government wants is to stop Gay propaganda among the young, especially in schools and advertising by way of demonstrations, they are not trying to make it a criminal offence or put them in prison as the papers in the West are saying. Don't get me wrong, I am not pro Russian or pro any other country for that matter, but lets be fair lot's of things that happen in this world are twisted around to make them sound worst than they are, after all it sells papers and makes politicians look like they care.

I live in Stockholm at the moment and having made the short baltic trip to Tallinn a few times, I can vouch for you sir. It really is a stunning place, a fairytale of an old town, some really buzzing bohemian areas on the other side of Baalti Jaam (no, it's not a jam flavoured curry!) and stunning beach strips as far as the eye can see towards Haabneeme, with views back across the City. Very impressive place and somewhere I will be revisiting aplenty.

You follow a local team out there? Mine in Stockholm is AIK. In a nutshell, it's equally frustrating as watching City.

As for the match tonight, it should be a decent affair as Turkey are in with a good shout of second spot, battling it out with Hungary and Romania. A good friend of mine is from Bucharest so hopefully Estonia can do them a favour. I dont think i'm going out on a limb to state that Turkey aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

I shall be at Friends Arena watching Jonas Olsson strut his stuff against Austria - also a vital match in the battle for a playoff spot.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that, just's prove my point that people shouldn't express opinions when they have never been to the place. Yes my local team is Noome Kalju, they were Champions last season so played in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, they made the second round but were knock out over two legs by Pilzen. I saw both home match against Helsinki in the first and then Pilzen in the second and the stadium was rocking as Tallinnians are not use to such matches. Unfortunately this season after a very good start they were beaten by Levadia and look like they will be runners up. Kalju and Levadia both share the same stadium (Kadriog) so when they play each other they are both home. So it looks like we will be watching Levadia in the Champions League next season. Hope all works out tonight for your team and I look forward to seeing Estonia beat Turkey for you.

Thanks for that, just's prove my point that people shouldn't express opinions when they have never been to the place. Yes my local team is Noome Kalju, they were Champions last season so played in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, they made the second round but were knock out over two legs by Pilzen. I saw both home match against Helsinki in the first and then Pilzen in the second and the stadium was rocking as Tallinnians are not use to such matches. Unfortunately this season after a very good start they were beaten by Levadia and look like they will be runners up. Kalju and Levadia both share the same stadium (Kadriog) so when they play each other they are both home. So it looks like we will be watching Levadia in the Champions League next season. Hope all works out tonight for your team and I look forward to seeing Estonia beat Turkey for you.

Not a good night for Estonia, if you don't already know 2-0 to Turkey. Eesti started well and forced a corner and had a chance from a free kick, but after that Turkey got on top and both goals came from defensive mistakes. Turkey were a good passing team and had a couple of good players, but I think a better team would have beaten them, they didn't look that good in defence. Eesti huffed and puffed but couldn't get any thing back, the end product was not there, just like watching City, still it was a good and fast game, end to end and the best crowd for sometime at the A Le Coq Stadium around 8,500 the capacity is 9,800. Anyway England and Sweden both won, Sweden for our member Monkeygoblin. So looking forward to Tuesday night against Poland. Come on England!

Ah well. Always an uphill struggle for the singing nation against a country with 30 times its population. What's the football culture like in Estonia, mate? I've watched a match in Latvia, but ice hockey and basketball seem more popular.

Yes they do well in singing, choirs are many here and they even have a venue called The Singing Fields where every 4 years they have a massive singing festival. It's a bit like their Olympic games really. Out of the players in the squad last night only 3 play for Estonian teams and they play for Tallina FC Levadia and Noome Kalju, the rest play for Chinese, Dutch, Russian, Finnish, German, Norwegian, USA, Swedish, Polish, Hungarian, and Ukrinian teams. Two players, however play for British teams, they are Sander Puri York City and Henri Anier Motherwell.

So you see most of their best players are at foreign clubs, the standard of play in the Premier league of the best three or four teams is probably around League 1 to League 2 in the UK and the rest probably of Conference standard. Even Kalju and Levadia only get around 2-300 attendance and I know from a football agent here that the players are only part time and earn 250 euros a week, it's only because they have rich owners that they survive. I asked a Estonian supporter, who spoke English, why do they only support their national team and not their local ones, he said he supported Kalju but didn't go often. That says it all really! LIke you say Red Robbo, they like basketball and ice hockey better and seeing as they are very tall people here they should be good at basketball, but it's a national thing, they don't have a great competitive attitude. Let's hope things change in the future.

Archived