IGNORED

Ryan Taylor Set For Return To Bristol City...

swanker

• Admin

When we scored the second las night Roy lept up and ran forward, then the camera cut away. Please don't tell me I was the only one having images of him skidding along the turf on his knees!

Apparently his assistant went running of down the touchline off of camera

CUH-LASSIC otib, writing off players before they've even had a chance to pull on a shirt this season. If only he ran really fast, shouted loud and loved to shove in a two footed tackle every now and again he'd be a world class player wouldn't he?

People are writing him off because millen signed him almost 3 years ago now and he's done nothing but lay on the treatment table

People are writing him off because millen signed him almost 3 years ago now and he's done nothing but lay on the treatment table

Which was obviously his cunning plan from the off.Did n't want to be a successful pro footballer just wanted to be injured all the time whilst picking up his wage packet.

Why do we sign these injured wasters?

The thing with Taylor is his strike-rate lets the rest of his ability down. He's actually very good technically and works hard for the side. If he could just get more of an attacking mindset (after all, it's not his finishing ability that lets him down, its the lack of attempts on goal!) and go for goal more often he'd be a very good striker especially at this level.

How many times did we test Taylor and Baldock together last season? Could be just the type of striker Baldock would enjoy playing with at this level. Then of course we'd have to find room for JET in the team which is why I doubt SO'D will ever try the partnership unless there's an injury.

The thing with Taylor is his strike-rate lets the rest of his ability down. He's actually very good technically and works hard for the side. If he could just get more of an attacking mindset (after all, it's not his finishing ability that lets him down, its the lack of attempts on goal!) and go for goal more often he'd be a very good striker especially at this level.

How many times did we test Taylor and Baldock together last season? Could be just the type of striker Baldock would enjoy playing with at this level. Then of course we'd have to find room for JET in the team which is why I doubt SO'D will ever try the partnership unless there's an injury.

It is probably more likely to be used when we are behind in a game. We have brought Harewood on a few times when this has been the case but i hope now we use Taylor instead.

I don't mind Taylor, although his lack of goals is frustrating, you have to look past that and see what he does for the team, also if any of you were at Cov away you'll know how much better Baldock was with Taylor up front giving him a man to play off.

Heskey became a bit of a laughing stock to many English fans who didn't really understand what he brought to the table. Just check the goal scoring records of the strikers he played along side.

Absolutely right. We looked veery good when he came on against Cov.

I'm definitely not writing him off. Ginger Drogba.

While it is almost impossible to defend his goal record or the amount of matches he misses through injury (although in fairness his injuries have been freaks such as a broken ankle and fractured collar bone), I am glad he seems to be back to full fitness and feel if he stays fit for the rest of the season he will be an asset.

His goal record will always lead some to question how he is even a professional footballer, let alone in our team (if and when he gets picked), but goals aside I think he does have the attributes to be a very handy target man. He wins his fair share in the air, is excellent holding the ball up with his back to goal, his link up play is good and his first touch enables him retain possession for the team and get us higher up the pitch. It shouldn't be totally ignored that the small doses of decent football we managed to play under McInnes last season all relied heavily on Taylor. The two early home wins, second half away at Peterborough, Watford, Middlesbrough.. It's also worth remembering (I'd personally forgotten) that in his solitary cameo this season he made a big impact and helped us turn around the game at Coventry, only of course to lose it anyway.

As BCFC Jordan alludes to above none of us actually know whether Taylor can finish (his goal at Burnley would suggest he actually can) and his lack of goals hasn't been through missing chances. He just never gets himself in areas that might enable him to score. This is obviously something that him and the coaching staff need to improve as although he will never be a prolific goalscorer, he needs to get more than one a season! 

Whether or not he'd be an ideal partner for JET I don't know as I think we need someone like Baldock playing off the shoulder to provide JET with the space in behind to work his magic, but I am glad he is back to full fitness. At the very, very least he is a different option in games like Shrewsbury and Colchester where they are camped in on the edge of their box.

Archived