IGNORED

Telegraph

timothy bird

The fact is that coaches like Rogers are the exception rather than the rule in our game (foreign coaches excepted). I have always put this down to the preferences of fans; the old 2 wingers, big centre forward, "get rid of it" mentality and the obsession with so called passion over technique and tactics does not easily tolerate coaches who try to do it a different way.

The respect Mourinho has for Rogers speaks for itself and it is to SOD's credit that he gets respect from Rogers. Our recent appointment of a well thought of Spanish coach and having in Keith Burt someone who is in effect a Director of Football who is trusted by the First Team Coach are positive signs for the future also I think.

I would only argue that the best coaches can tailor their approach to the players they have or the circumstances they find themselves in rather than stick to a rigid approach. If we find ourselves in a relegation position post Christmas SOD may need to compromise his principles in the short term or the long term plan may come to nothing.

The fact is that coaches like Rogers are the exception rather than the rule in our game (foreign coaches excepted). I have always put this down to the preferences of fans; the old 2 wingers, big centre forward, "get rid of it" mentality and the obsession with so called passion over technique and tactics does not easily tolerate coaches who try to do it a different way.

The respect Mourinho has for Rogers speaks for itself and it is to SOD's credit that he gets respect from Rogers. Our recent appointment of a well thought of Spanish coach and having in Keith Burt someone who is in effect a Director of Football who is trusted by the First Team Coach are positive signs for the future also I think.

I would only argue that the best coaches can tailor their approach to the players they have or the circumstances they find themselves in rather than stick to a rigid approach. If we find ourselves in a relegation position post Christmas SOD may need to compromise his principles in the short term or the long term plan may come to nothing.

Great post and bang on the money.

Shows the doubters what we would be throwing away if we got rid of SO'D.  Agree about maybe having to compromise in the short term and sure he's pragmatic enough to do that if things got desperate, but they're far from that at present.  

I don't think even the biggest pessimists would deny that we have the ability to finish one place above the relegation spots this season and that to me will be the minimum requirement, as I'm sure next season will be the one where we really see the benefit SO'D will bring us in the long term.

Great post.

Archived