IGNORED

Did We Really Play That Badly?

brad blit

My answer is No.....

Up untill the first goal you could argue that despite not creating anything further up the pitch we looked reasonably solid all over the pitch and it was only JET and Baldock not having a positive effect on the game.

The back 4 looked reasonably solid and composed with only the left winger for Brentford having any joy, Williams and Dunk played a couple bad balls to start with but then regained composure and looked to play from back where possible (although that didnt stop the odd ball overtop to Baldock which didnt work). The more I watch him the more im impressed with Williams and think hes starting to look a good player.

Midfield Elliott was back to his best doing simple things but looked leggy towards last 30mins, Reid was industrious and created some good opportunities for himself, Pack generally stayed deep and played some nice passes, and Wagstaff worked hard as normal but without any major attacking contributions.

Iv been a firm 'SOD Stay' camp and will continue, but can certainly understand why fans are calling for his head and I think he probably only has 3-4 games now to get that win.I would personally drop JET untill we get that first win as we cant afford 'luxury' players right now, and give Taylor a go next to Baldock.

Did you watch the second half? We were good for the first 30 minutes, after that we were average. For me Brentford were just as poor as Colchester and Shrewsbury.

Pass along the back.....pass along the back.....HOOF to Baldock

Pass along the back.....pass along the back.....HOOF to Baldock

We had no width.....Pack did his usual sit far too deep and play the odd nice ball....something that hides the fact he is anonymous for large spells and doesn't move into space when we have the ball. Reid broke at pace and look tricky, unfortunately he had little movement to work with so often got crowded out.

JET was abysmal, Baldock had little support, but looks short on confidence and lightweight.

2nd half I thought we were very very poor. SOD says we had 4 potential game plans but didn't see the need to change things....guess he was watching a different game then.

We were really good first 35 minutes because Bobby Reid was taking the role of the player we miss, the attacking midfielder.

He ran out of puff and from that point of the rest of the half we looked immobile. Second half was dire. No lack of effort on the players part just complete tactical .

SOD needs to accept his tactics and formation are not working. Baldock is a good striker with no service. If we are to play JET and I think we should then we should play 3 5 2 with JET playing behind the front two. He's by far the most creative player we have, doesn't lose the ball easily and can score. Look how many assists he's provided! Our defence is still frail so the wing backs will have to bust a gut. I would play:

Parish

Maloney Flint Williams

Wagstaff Pack (Elliot or Reid) Shorey

JET

Taylor/Harewood Baldock

I don't like starting with Taylor or Harewood and think its imperative to get a striker on loan.

Pack did his usual sit far too deep and play the odd nice ball....something that hides the fact he is anonymous for large spells and doesn't move into space when we have the ball. Reid broke at pace and look tricky, unfortunately he had little movement to work with so often got crowded out.

I've been really disappointed with Marlon Pack, so far in the games I've seen him play. Was a stand-out player in the Cheltenham team, and what I've heard/read about him, is a talented box to box type midfielder. 

Think I saw him break forward once last night, otherwise he sits too deep and plays a simple ball to a full back. Need to see more from him! In fact I'd love to see Wynter take his place as early on in the season he was the box to box type midfielder we've been crying out for a long time. I remember the Gillingham JPT game where he started off moves just outside our own box and he kept on going. He missed a sitter, then followed it up with a goal a few minutes later.

If we are going to pack the midfield, they must push up and support Baldock, otherwise its pointless.

At the end of the day football is about scoring goals to win games. That's two games now where we have oinly had one shot on target in the entire game (last nights came on 86mins) so the answer to your question is Yes we did play badly because even with lots of possesion and nice passing we are never going to score/win  

At the end of the day football is about scoring goals to win games. That's two games now where we have oinly had one shot on target in the entire game (last nights came on 86mins) so the answer to your question is Yes we did play badly because even with lots of possesion and nice passing we are never going to score/win

+1

Im not saying we were world beaters all game and yes agree that Brentford changed tactics and got into game more from 60mins onwards (probably because both Elliott and Reid were tiring), but we only had width from Shorey and Maloney because we were playing a 4-3-1-2 but they didnt want to push forward loads because they didnt have someone infront to cover. Main problem is the lack of creativity up top, or our attacking tactics as such. Its simple to see that Baldock isnt going to win any high balls, but thats happening because the defence have no1 to pass to and need to go forward and play it 'safe', its no different to passing back to Goalie who will only do the same anyway. I said at halftime to brother that confidence is the main prob at moment at both ends of the pitch and we just need to go back to basics to get a win and relieve the pressure, once that happens i still believe we have a good enough team to get mid-table or safe finish

Baldock is isolated the only midfielder with have with a good attacking sense at the moment is Wagstaff and he took a knock early on which wasn't ideal

for me pack, Elliot and jet need to be dropped, they've added very little to the team recently, I'd go back to basics with a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1

Parish

Malonay Dunk Williams Shorey

Burns Wagstaff Reid Bryan

Taylor (sitting deep to try and win balls in the air and hold the ball up)

Baldock,

It wouldn't isolate baldock as much and it should bring some width back to the squad

• Admin

Add to that in the first 30 minutes Moloney was pushing out wide and playing high up the ptich when we had the ball, JET was on the other flank meaning Reid was able to exploit the stretched midfield.

The boom, it all stopped and Moloney dropped deaper and deaper meaning the midfield became narrower and narrower giving the chance for Brentford to get a foot hold back in the game.

They missed a simple chance toward the end of the first half and came close with two headers in the second, yeah the deflection was unlucky but what JET was doing for their second goal only he knows, he was rooted to the floor and the ball sailed over his head

Personally what makes this more frustrating to me, is that apart from P'Boro (didn't see the Wolves game), the standard of opposition has been generally poor this season, but we never look like breaking them down

My answer is No.....

Up untill the first goal you could argue that despite not creating anything further up the pitch we looked reasonably solid all over the pitch and it was only JET and Baldock not having a positive effect on the game.

The back 4 looked reasonably solid and composed with only the left winger for Brentford having any joy, Williams and Dunk played a couple bad balls to start with but then regained composure and looked to play from back where possible (although that didnt stop the odd ball overtop to Baldock which didnt work). The more I watch him the more im impressed with Williams and think hes starting to look a good player.

Midfield Elliott was back to his best doing simple things but looked leggy towards last 30mins, Reid was industrious and created some good opportunities for himself, Pack generally stayed deep and played some nice passes, and Wagstaff worked hard as normal but without any major attacking contributions.

Iv been a firm 'SOD Stay' camp and will continue, but can certainly understand why fans are calling for his head and I think he probably only has 3-4 games now to get that win.I would personally drop JET untill we get that first win as we cant afford 'luxury' players right now, and give Taylor a go next to Baldock.

First 15 minutes we were pretty good - looked sharp.

Remaining 75 minutes we were as bad as I've seen (and I've seen bad).

I also think we missed Wagstaff after he came off.

Archived