IGNORED

Our Best Formation.

Orbital

Given the current predicament a change is surely due. Our leader is sticking to his principles about processes and all that fluff but surely it is worth stepping back and assessing what we have and who would fit best in which system. For me it is worth a change to 3-5-2.

Stick an extra at the back in the hope that will sure up an incontinent back line (Dunk, Flint, Williams). Play the improving Wagstaff and Shorey as wingbacks (also removing Moloney from the 11 who has been poor). Create a solid middle three (Wynter, Pack, Elliott). Play two up to from the off (Ginge and JET) bringing on Baldock later on.

Something has to change. If not the manager then the formation and personnel.

We desperately need an injection of pace from somewhere. Nothing scares a defence more than a team attacking at pace. It didn't always work for us but we sorely miss the pace of Adomah, and even Sproule and Maynard. We are just to slow building our attacks with this possession football, we just never break at speed now.

Parish

Boney, Flint, Williams, Shorey

Wynter, Pack, Elliott

JET

Baldrick, Harewood

I'd have Taylor rather than Harewood, a bit more finesse, and might think of Reid in place of either Elliott or Wynter. He might only be knee high to a grasshopper's fart, but young Bob does put tackles in.

If we are going to play "posession football" that means to me that Taylor has to play alongside one of Baldock or JET.

I would still play a back four but as glynriley says, look at giving them protection with a designated holding midfielder, either Wynter or Marvin as he played against Palace.

That means a 4-1-3-2 in effect.

I'd have Taylor rather than Harewood, a bit more finesse, and might think of Reid in place of either Elliott or Wynter. He might only be knee high to a grasshopper's fart, but young Bob does put tackles in.

I know what you're saying, I'd just go for Harewood as he's a bit more of a battering ram and might just occupy enough defenders to give Balders more space to work in.

Bobby for Elliot, yeah, go on then, I can live with that.

I believe 4-4-2 would do us best

Parish

Maloney, Flint, Williams, Cunningham

Wagstaff,Pack,Reid,Bryan

Taylor,

...........Baldock

But that leaves JET out the equation, which many would rebel against.

So probably see:

Parish

Maloney Flint, Williams, Cunningham

Wynter, Reid, Pack

JET

Baldrick, Taylor

Not sure leaving JET out will upset many. What he does with the ball don't make up for what he don't do without it.

A total waste of talent. That kid could be earning big bucks in the prem if he was motivated.

He's far too lazy and needs to reminder he has to work for his place in the starting XI, doubt SOD will test that theory though.

Parish

Dunk             Flint             Williams

Moloney                               Pack/Ried         Marv                                    Shorey /Bryan    

Jet

Taylor/Harewood         Baldock                 

I'd like to see us play 5-3-2 with the 2 full back/wing backs giving us some width and JET playing behind Harewood and Baldock. I'd go with Harewood because he seems to be able to get JET motivated. The problem would be it would leave us light in the middle of the park, so it would be imperative the full backs provide support to the central midfielders. Harewood also offers a wealth of experience which is something, in my opinion, we seem to be lacking although.I would have thought Nicky Shorey would have been more influential than he seems to be. I think we tend to forget just how little real experience we have in the side. Just as an aside the lack of cover for Baldock and at center half worries me and something I think needs addressing either with  loans now or  permanent signing in January,. The striker could be an up and coming youngster but I think we need a center back with a little know how (closer to the 24 mark than a youngster)

Parish

Dunk             Flint             Williams

Moloney                               Pack/Ried         Marv                                    Shorey /Bryan    

Jet

Taylor/Harewood         Baldock                 

Not bad, but I don't know that the full backs are good enough or Shorey mobile enough for that formation. Could be an "all-out battle for a goal" option, but not for a starting set-up, I think.

Not bad, but I don't know that the full backs are good enough or Shorey mobile enough for that formation. Could be an "all-out battle for a goal" option, but not for a starting set-up, I think.

Yeah maybe not Shorey for the wingback role, perhaps Bryan as he has the ability to get up and back . Marv would only be there to sit in front the back three and break things up. It should be quite solid and it doesn't leave Baldock isolated.

Yeah maybe not Shorey for the wingback role, perhaps Bryan as he has the ability to get up and back . Marv would only be there to sit in front the back three and break things up. It should be quite solid and it doesn't leave Baldock isolated.

Cunningham instead of Shorey. Needs to have some belief installed in him.

More tactics surely then formation? Possession football would be lovely but are lot plainly cant do it. SOD has alluded to the fact the technical ability of the squad in general is poor. Time to go more direct? Transition doesn't have to happen overnight why don't we stick to what the majority of our players strengths are.Then when were safe start experimenting and slowly introducing sexy football. Very simplistic but if you had to pick direct or possession for are squad the vast majority would be direct. Reid, Wynter, Pack and Jet would be the only players who I think suit possession currently I would argue that is not enough. 

I would drop Baldock for Taylor.  I don't see the need for wholesale changes - maybe get either Bryan or McLoughlin back on the left (Marv played there on Tuesday as all of Brentfords goalkicks were aimed at Donaldson - Marv Wonpractically all of them. I guess he won't be there on Saturday.

I think our opponents have worked out that if you stop us playing through midfield, we are forced to hit long balls from the back which inevitably are directed at a bloke incapable of winning the ball or holding onto it with his back to goal.  Taylor may have less goal threat but he will engage the opposition centre halves.  At the moment, I'd rather have JET trying to play off that than Baldock.  Baldock can come on later when the game is stretched and there is more space.  

For me:

Parish

Dunk                                                         Flint                                               Williams

Moloney                                                                                                                                                                                   Cunningham/Bryan

Wagstaff                                                    Pack/Elliot                                          Reid

JET

Baldock                                                                                                            Harewood

I'm unsure who to pick out of Pack and Elliot as I think they've both been quite decent this season especially Marv, looking back to his old self a few years ago by winning headers and making some decent tackles. Don't think Shorey is capable of playing as a wing back. It was a tough call because I'm adamant that we need to play JET behind 2 front men as Baldock always gets so isolated up top on his own especially when the game becomes scrappy like it did tues night and feel he is more in the game with support up there and apart from the Wycombe game, we've looked more threatening to score when Harewood is on the pitch. Gets the crowd and probably some of the players more up for the fight! Shame that SOD always waits until we're 1-0 down to bring him on! 

We can't afford luxury players at the moment, and JET is definitely a luxury.

Taylor and Baldrick up front for me, JET on every game as an impact sub.

I can't see anything other than an orthodox 4-4-2 working in this league, there's no point. Leave your 4-1-2-1-2 crap for the Prem or the Champions league. It just won't work on a drizzly Saturday in Carlisle.

There is no reason not to play good football within a 4-4-2 formation. When you attack it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-4, and you simply resume your shape when the opposition have the ball. 

I defy anyone who's EVER played football at a decent standard to tell me that 4-4-2 is outdated. It's what the (generally) idiotic players understand, the two wide players are either extra attackers or extra full-backs, the tallest striker attacks the first ball while the other one makes runs accordingly, the box to box midfielder makes a nuisance of himself in general, and the playmaker picks up the loose balls. Full backs can surge forward as long as someone is prepared to cover him, and your centre halves are there to win the ball and get rid of it. If you get a centre half who can win it AND pass it, the you ain't in League 1 anymore!!!

After exhaustive research (11 mins) I can now reveal that League 1 teams are predominantly playing a 4-4-2 system. 4-4-1-1 is bollocks, because it absolves JET of any defensive responsibility whatsoever. Either stick him up front or stick him on the bench, because the "false 9" we currently use is effectively giving JET the freedom to do **** all when the opposition have the ball. 

All the talk of systems, formations, set-peice routines, zones of influence, is just getting in the way of actually playing football to enjoy it. On Saturday I would just tell the lads to go and play like they were 9 years old again. 4-4-2, no frills, no instructions, just go and play.

We can't afford luxury players at the moment, and JET is definitely a luxury.

Taylor and Baldrick up front for me, JET on every game as an impact sub.

I can't see anything other than an orthodox 4-4-2 working in this league, there's no point. Leave your 4-1-2-1-2 crap for the Prem or the Champions league. It just won't work on a drizzly Saturday in Carlisle.

There is no reason not to play good football within a 4-4-2 formation. When you attack it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-4, and you simply resume your shape when the opposition have the ball. 

I defy anyone who's EVER played football at a decent standard to tell me that 4-4-2 is outdated. It's what the (generally) idiotic players understand, the two wide players are either extra attackers or extra full-backs, the tallest striker attacks the first ball while the other one makes runs accordingly, the box to box midfielder makes a nuisance of himself in general, and the playmaker picks up the loose balls. Full backs can surge forward as long as someone is prepared to cover him, and your centre halves are there to win the ball and get rid of it. If you get a centre half who can win it AND pass it, the you ain't in League 1 anymore!!!

After exhaustive research (11 mins) I can now reveal that League 1 teams are predominantly playing a 4-4-2 system. 4-4-1-1 is bollocks, because it absolves JET of any defensive responsibility whatsoever. Either stick him up front or stick him on the bench, because the "false 9" we currently use is effectively giving JET the freedom to do **** all when the opposition have the ball. 

All the talk of systems, formations, set-peice routines, zones of influence, is just getting in the way of actually playing football to enjoy it. On Saturday I would just tell the lads to go and play like they were 9 years old again. 4-4-2, no frills, no instructions, just go and play.

I think you should be Manager!!!!!!!!!!

Archived