IGNORED

Ryan Taylor

Welcome To The Jungle

He played very well and I'm delighted SO'D made what I expect was a decision that many weren't happy with in going for Taylor at the expense of Baldock.

He actually got himself in dangerous areas a couple of times and although he will obviously never be prolific, getting in the right areas to score is at least a start. 

I was surprised when I heard the line up i'll admit, but very happy to be proved wrong, he was very good and on another day his chances would have been causing the keeper a lot of problems at least. I'd be happy to see him starting for a while.

That's a very strange comparison indeed - Sheringham scored 289 goals in his career!!

My point was that whichever striker was partnered with Sheringham looked a better player than when they were not partnered with Sheringham, perhaps Heskey would have been a better comparator, I was forgetting that every post gets jumped on on here

Said it all last season and stand by it that he is the 1st striker on my teamsheet ahead of Baldock, and last season ahead on Davies and Stead. No surprise we scored 4 today as he makes it a team game, holding the ball up well. Keep him fit and we could start moving up the league. He's our ginger Emile Heskey. Another 3 points and we're rocking, COYR

Think you meant Heskey is the black Ryan taylor. ;)

My point was that whichever striker was partnered with Sheringham looked a better player than when they were not partnered with Sheringham, perhaps Heskey would have been a better comparator, I was forgetting that every post gets jumped on on here

Heskey probably would have been better, even though the oft derided Heskey actually scored 117 goals in the top league.

I don't think you can compare Taylor (1 in 17 ratio for City) with anyone really, just be happy his inclusion today had the desired effect.

Heskey probably would have been better, even though the oft derided Heskey actually scored 117 goals in the top league.

I don't think you can compare Taylor (1 in 17 ratio for City) with anyone really, just be happy his inclusion today had the desired effect.

I was trying to make the point that JET looks a better proposition playing alongside Taylor than alongside Baldock

I was there and Taylor was fab today. He is our Sheringham, he won't score many but he makes every striker he plays with better. Last week, v Crewe when it was Baldock, JET was awful, today when we had Taylor up front JET is unplayable.

Must keep Taylor in the team

Do some of you never learn making laughable remarks like that.

Oh yes, what was it a month ago after a decent display at Southampton, Bobby Reid, the creative midfield maestro we have been craving for for years.

Lets see Taylor win down a regular place, stay injury free and  perhaps then we can make a more realistic assessment of him .

That's what I love about this forum, even when we win people get abusive.

I was making an observation comparing JET last week with this, no need to get personal. We are SUPPOSED to be on the same side.

Do some of you never learn that being patronising and abusive towards fellow City rand just isn't very nice?

That's what I love about this forum, even when we win people get abusive.

I was making an observation comparing JET last week with this, no need to get personal. We are SUPPOSED to be on the same side.

Do some of you never learn that being patronising and abusive towards fellow City rand just isn't very nice?

Abusive ? Very strange conclusion. But if you want me to be ?

Do some of you never learn making laughable remarks like that.

Oh yes, what was it a month ago after a decent display at Southampton, Bobby Reid, the creative midfield maestro we have been craving for for years.

Lets see Taylor win down a regular place, stay injury free and perhaps then we can make a more realistic assessment of him .

its not difficult to understand the point he is making.

He isnt comparing him directly to Sheringham as a player, he's just saying that Taylor brings out the best in his strker partner - something Sheringham also often did.

I believe (although not certain) that Taylor was also a very useful partner for Le Fondre when he was scoring for fun at Rotherham.

its not difficult to understand the point he is making.

He isnt comparing him directly to Sheringham as a player, he's just saying that Taylor brings out the best in his strker partner - something Sheringham also often did.

I believe (although not certain) that Taylor was also a very useful partner for Le Fondre when he was scoring for fun at Rotherham.

Yep, and the point I was making is that Sheringham was a very prolific goalscorer as well as being able to do the things you say, so any comparison is very limited.

As a frontman Taylor has the obvious, glaring, drawback of a probably unrivalled attrocious scoring ratio.

You seem to be saying this doesn't matter because he brings out the best in other more gifted players.

That's OK to a point but any forward must have the intrinsic ability to score goals - even if it's only 8-10 a season, and this is clearly something Taylor has to add to his game to convince the doubters - and maybe even to get another contract.

Let's hope he notches a couple next Saturday.

You seem to be saying this doesn't matter because he brings out the best in other more gifted players.

Let's hope he notches a couple next Saturday.

I said said nothing that should bring you to that conclusion.

Of course he needs to add goals to his game but first and foremeost, he needs to stay injury free and available!! :-)

My opinion is that he COULD be an effective player for us at this level but he needs a run of games and needs to remain fit. If he can manage that then obviously his chances of chipping in with a few goals also improves. Match sharpness and fitness for a striker is so important and he has rarely had that in his time at City.

I don't think we've seen the best of him and unfortunately I have my doubts that we ever will.

Abusive ? Very strange conclusion. But if you want me to be ?

You think that replying saying my remarks are laughable is not abusive?

Others could see the point I was making, no reason to be superior or patronising, I went and cheered the team on today and came on the forum to make a point about Taylor bringing the best out of JET just to get pilloried by you. Not only do you refuse to see my original point, you also think it strange I should not like to be told my views are laughable, simple really.

He could of got 2 yesterday, Good footwork to create room on the edge of the box but dragged his shot just wide, Then in the second half he tried a cheeky heel flick but missed it....

Overall he was a massive help yesterday, Not all our play was lumping it forward but when we did the ball wasn't coming back straight to our defence again which was nice to see, Helped us retain possession out of difficult situations

Baldock JET and Taylor up top would be perfect but keep the WINNING team for Oldham as it obviously worked

The biggest difference he makes is that long balls can be aimed at him instead of JET who doesn't win any.

Virtually everything that went in his direction he flicked on or brought down- bringing others into the game. He does all the donkey work that baldock isn't capable of and JET doesn't want to do.

The biggest difference he makes is that long balls can be aimed at him instead of JET who doesn't win any.

Virtually everything that went in his direction he flicked on or brought down- bringing others into the game. He does all the donkey work that baldock isn't capable of and JET doesn't want to do.

Couldn't agree more

Agreed. We were doing the same at Crewe, except we had Baldock being unable to win anything, and JET refusing to jump to challenge. Even in the short time Taylor was on the pitch there, he won more than the other 2 had put together.

With Taylor upfront as a foil man alongside baldock, they could form a great partnership. Taylor's hold up play brings the whole team into the attack and with baldock's runs behind the back line I'm sure he would have more chances come his way.

Along with the from two, jet and Reid floating behind them picking up loose balls on the edge for shots or for driving at the opposition defense or even providing assists would give us a great attacking quartet

Taylor is still young & developing but still shows he has all the attributes required especially at L1

Don't forget we were 3 down to covee until RT came on and won everything in the air to panic their defence and set up our come back to 3-3

Its a shame about his injuries that have held back his development further

Those who know their stuff & can see qualities, sign players for professional football clubs

Those who do not & cannot, make comments on forums ...

He was superb and without him we wouldn't have won, what a,lot of people miss is; it's mentally and physically playing against a player that's in your face alL game, as a defender you can't switch off for a second and after 60 minutes Taylor's marker was ruined, that's when we really penetrated, sometimes effortlessly.

He was superb and without him we wouldn't have won, what a,lot of people miss is; it's mentally and physically playing against a player that's in your face alL game, as a defender you can't switch off for a second and after 60 minutes Taylor's marker was ruined, that's when we really penetrated, sometimes effortlessly.

We should have asked our mate Prince (?) on the train home what it was like to play against him!

I think he's going to be a top player, if he stays fit. Think him and baldock would take time to settle, and for me baldock doesn't work hard enough, so I'd stick with what we played. Maybe at home play baldock for wags, but he put a shift in from what people said, so stick with what we had.

We could do with some points. Next 3 games are massive, so let's hope Taylor can stay fit.

What's happened to Wes burns? He going on loan?

I think he's going to be a top player, if he stays fit. Think him and baldock would take time to settle, and for me baldock doesn't work hard enough, so I'd stick with what we played. Maybe at home play baldock for wags, but he put a shift in from what people said, so stick with what we had.

We could do with some points. Next 3 games are massive, so let's hope Taylor can stay fit.

Can't agree with that, spends the whole game moving, but cant get the ball the way he wants it. But keep JET there with him as it worked. Playing Taylor, JET and Baldock is suicidal for our defence

Baldock can't really complain about being dropped - he hasn't had great service but at the same time he's squandered a lot of chances.

As for Wagstaff, his effort can never be faulted, and after that spectacular and vital goal now seems a particularly strange time to consider leaving him out.

Interesting you mention Burns - he can't play Taylor's role of course, but he has great pace and an eye for goal and I'd like top see him included on the bench and coming on regularly rather than being farmed out on loan again. He offers something different to any other player we've got and he's at a stage when we should be using him to our advantage, albeit perhaps in small bursts.

He's genuinely a young player of course - 'young' Ryan Taylor is fully 7 years older - but has already looked capable at Championship level and it's disappointing, with the visible strides made by Reid and Bryan, that SO'D's given another promising youngster so little encouragement this season at a lower level.

I still need convincing that Taylor, JET and Baldock cannot play together, as SOD alludes to.

Taykor is the type of player that takes pressure OFF the rest of the team because he can hold the ball up, he is an immediate outlet (when needed) and I don't doubt the other two would thrive from them.

I honestly think a 3-5-2 involving that trio, although bold, has potential worth persuing.

Some may be horrified by suggesting 3 at the back, but on the back foot it immediately can turn to 5 at the back, but, with Taylor on I believe our possession-in-territory stats will relieve the defence of a hell of a lot of their duties.

Fortune favours the brave so let's see it SOD. The season is, just, still within its infancy that for 180 mins it is worth persevering with.

Baldock can't really complain about being dropped - he hasn't had great service but at the same time he's squandered a lot of chances.

As for Wagstaff, his effort can never be faulted, and after that spectacular and vital goal now seems a particularly strange time to consider leaving him out.

Interesting you mention Burns - he can't play Taylor's role of course, but he has great pace and an eye for goal and I'd like top see him included on the bench and coming on regularly rather than being farmed out on loan again. He offers something different to any other player we've got and he's at a stage when we should be using him to our advantage, albeit perhaps in small bursts.

He's genuinely a young player of course - 'young' Ryan Taylor is fully 7 years older - but has already looked capable at Championship level and it's disappointing, with the visible strides made by Reid and Bryan, that SO'D's given another promising youngster so little encouragement this season at a lower level.

Spot on with regards to Burns, Noggers.

I would love to see him on the bench and come on as an impact sub to stretch tired defences and run the channels. Young of not his pace is an asset we simply don't have in the squad. I don't see what harm it would do trying Burns as the other plan, 'plan B' bringing on Harewood does not work. It would certainly benefit Burns to get more experience with us.

Archived