IGNORED

Not About Stupid Questions This One

Cowshed

Taken from another site.

I will not reveal who I am involved with, but we base our tuition of kids on the teachings of Simon Clifford's Brazilian soccer schools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GV8t...ECC2F5C259EE5A

The results we are getting are kids by the ages of six and seven being able to perform skills most adults cannot. The technique of these kids who do apply themselves is vastly superior to that of their peers, who are not being schooled in the same manner.

At present in Bristol and indeed all over the UK there is a skills gap. A skills gap in the ability of coaches. Coaches many in charge of kids teams are not. Well meaning parents are not coaches, and we/us/them can inadvertently hinder the football development of the children we attempt to help without clear structured direction.

German and Spanish kids do not get that good by accident. They use bases similar to the one above. They use coaches such as this one from a very early age

http://www.youtube.com/user/FootballSkillsCoach/videos

Check the kit he is wearing. City are catching up, but it is like the little boy with his finger in the dyke.

Club after club in Bristol have no coaches for their children. Coaching below six is rare. It is not in Spain.

Chuck a tenner to the community trust, chat to the coaches if you meet them, encourage clubs attempting to get kids to PLAY, and yes maybe do your own fund raiser. It can matter. It does matter. Your kids, our children are worth it.

By broadening these activities you could attract more kids into the BCFC family. Imagine Jermaine Emmanuelle Thomas demonstrating some of the skills at your sons school.

Imagine Bristol City skills challenges for kids. kids practising skills they see their err "heroes" performing on the Saturday.

A bit of interest in your local kids side and what goes on beyond Sean O'driscoll not doing an interview, or doing, or not doing an interview correctly can go a long way.

• Admin

Bit confused by your post

My first reaction is football is not about "skills".

These people that you see how can juggle a ball for ages are usually crap at football.

There is more to the game, technique, pace, control, power, passing, shooting etc

But then you say to "chuck a tenner to the community trust" ? How is that going to teach people the skills you had previously mentioned ?

Maybe just the way I read it, but a real mixed message to me.

Are you trying to promote the Community Trust or the training of under six year olds ?

Anyone who gets the Pigeon delivered in BS3 area have a look at p.5.

A feature on Broad Plain Rugby Club, who seem to play on City's original ground at St.John's Lane. Picture of 100+ boys of all ages in their rugby kits, and the article explains ' the junior section has 9 squads for kids aged 4 - 16.'

Lots of adult helpers (coaches?) at the back. Broad Plain is just one of a number of similar rugby clubs in the Bristol area and very obviously, through organisation, keen coaches, facilities etc. they have huge numbers of Bristol youth, from a very early age, entrenched in the game of Rugby instead of football, and are seemingly always advertising for more. They've just had new pitches and floodlights installed.

Not sure how this is relevant to the original post, but it's food for thought. Are there are a large number of football clubs in the area who offer these sort of facilities and coaching to boys from such a young age and get them set on a long term route to playing, or watching, the game of their (perhaps indoctrinated) choice as adults?

Not sure there are. I've always thought Bristol was more of a Rugby City than football, and articles like this seem to confirm that.

Bit confused by your post

My first reaction is football is not about "skills".

These people that you see how can juggle a ball for ages are usually crap at football.

There is more to the game, technique, pace, control, power, passing, shooting etc

But then you say to "chuck a tenner to the community trust" ? How is that going to teach people the skills you had previously mentioned ?

Maybe just the way I read it, but a real mixed message to me.

Are you trying to promote the Community Trust or the training of under six year olds ?

The post is cut and pasted from elsewhere.

If football is not about skills Brazil, Barcelona, Spain, Real Madrid would be useless.

Neymar, Ronaldo or just pace and power?

Control/Technique are skills. The Spanish work on these elements before kids reach six.

There is a real lack of quality coaching provision for kids in Bristol.

So, the idea of skills videos? Drills, games, training exercises with City players performing a skill of the week could be sent out by e mail. That could be effective. It is an interesting idea, other clubs do this. City appear to be not up to speed there.

The community trust are attempting to increase kids skills base from six upwards. Giving them a donation, sending your kids on their course will help them increase their scope.

There are nearly twice as many Germans as Englishmen and as for Spain - what other team sports do they play?

I reckon we ought not to. beat ourselves up as much as we do.

According to EUFA more people play football in England than Spain. Due to people like Howard Wilkinson dictating that coaching should be done via academies rather than national networks England has 20000 less coaches at B level than Spain.

Archived