IGNORED

Kick-Off Routine

Uncle Albert

Only a small gripe, but this has bugged me for a while now - why do we insist on the same -god awful - routine every time. Without fail. 

For those that don't know it (I'd be surprised if you didn't) let me take you through it step-by step:

1) Two people on the centre spot (Waggy and Reid yesterday) - person one kicks the ball to person two 

2) Person two kicks the ball to Williams or Flint

3) Williams or Flint hoof it upfield towards JET

4) JET invariably doesn't win the header and we lose the ball. 

Why people, why? I know, I know, it is only a small thing, but why do we do the same thing at kick-off every time when time and time again we just lose the ball. Anyone else notice this // share this thought?! 

Only a small gripe, but this has bugged me for a while now - why do we insist on the same -god awful - routine every time. Without fail. 

For those that don't know it (I'd be surprised if you didn't) let me take you through it step-by step:

1) Two people on the centre spot (Waggy and Reid yesterday) - person one kicks the ball to person two 

Why people, why? I know, I know, it is only a small thing, but why do we do the same thing at kick-off every time when time and time again we just lose the ball. Anyone else notice this // share this thought?! 

In the past, certain players (not necessarily ours) have placed bets based on the time of the first throw in !

This happens to us with goal kicks too.

Parish never has any options with the ball on the ground or in his hands, the defence or midfield never come looking for it short, instead we hoof it up field to either Jet or Taylor and most of the time lose possession.

For Oldham it was easy tho, we never had any width and their fullbacks kept getting it short and bringing it out of defence all night.

If we are playing a "passing" game surely we need to keep possession? 

This happens to us with goal kicks too.

Parish never has any options with the ball on the ground or in his hands, the defence or midfield never come looking for it short, instead we hoof it up field to either Jet or Taylor and most of the time lose possession.

For Oldham it was easy tho, we never had any width and their fullbacks kept getting it short and bringing it out of defence all night.

If we are playing a "passing" game surely we need to keep possession? 

O'Connor was good at tracking back to get the ball from the keeper and taking it forward. Should be second nature to a defender.

H'mm - kick-off routines.

I read a book by Bernard Joy, the last amateur out-field player to play for England.

He was playing for Corinthians against Arsenal in the Cup, and they'd spent several hours practising a new KO routine in the previous week. They had ten chances to try it in reality, and it failed every time.

I would say that's par for the course.

You have forgotten version (2) Redux.

3) Williams or Flint hoof it upfield towards TAYLOR

4) TAYLOR invariably doesn't win the header and we lose the ball. 

You have forgotten version (2) Redux.

3) Williams or Flint hoof it upfield towards TAYLOR

4) TAYLOR invariably doesn't win the header and we lose the ball. 

Taylor wins headers, majority of the time, JET does not

He wins them in his own box but insists on waiting for the ball when he's further up the pitch.

If he wins a header it may only prolong the inevitable but at least someone could move onto any knock downs.

Taylor, targets the full backs, wins all headers 8/10 times but w often loose the ball when no one is close enough to him.

As for kick offs, it's persistance of a good theory that works like a short corner, get the defence to push out, catch them facing and travelling the wrong way, if JET/Taylor/Baldock/Harwewood wins the ball we have at least 2 players bearing down on goal while the defenders are still turning. If it works, you could do it with any player, likewise, if it doesn't work, even the greatest lump of a centre forward can't do anything.

Critical point is though, it hasn't worked. Agree with OP need for a change of idea

"Taylor, targets the full backs, wins all headers 8/10 times but w often loose the ball when no one is close enough to him."

8/10?

No.

2/10 more like - and then it just goes straight to the opposition or out of play.

He is a 'Target Man' in the purest sense of the word, just something to aim at...

Nothing more, nothing less.

Archived