IGNORED

St Albans - Why Do They Bother With The Fa Cup?!

Big Red Rich

Shame they're out, really.

Would've made a nice away day. A pint or three in the Olde Fighting Cocks, a nice stroll through Verulanum Park - and the only chance we'll ever get to witness a Ryan Taylor hattrick

Verulamium** - (The Roman name for St. Albans - making full use of my 4 years of 7 studying the Romans)

Verulamium** - (The Roman name for St. Albans - making full use of my 4 years of 7 studying the Romans)

Yeah, was a bit unsure of that one...  :fear:

Gurt big park it is though. At 100 landscaped acres, well worth a stroll down to the Roman museum at its furthest end..

Yeah, was a bit unsure of that one...  :fear:

Gurt big park it is though. At 100 landscaped acres, well worth a stroll down to the Roman museum at its furthest end..

I'll be heading down to their museum at some point to use their collections. I say down because I am no longer in the hallowed West Country (sadly, the East Midlands, - upside? Easy to get to Tamworth.)

St Albans did manage to get a replay in the FA cup first round abut 25 years ago against Bruce Riochs Torquay. Game was famous for the fact that they forgot to put any soap in the Torquay changing rooms. Made headlines on the sport pages of the Sun- must have been a very boring 1st round that year!

Must be the same bloke in charge who oversees plumbing in our showers.

A mate of mine lived in St Albans when City dicked them 9-2 (it was 5-0 a half time, BTW)

apparently in St Albans' next game, their opponents scored and all their fans started chanting "We want nine!  We want nine!"

IIRC, the write up in the Guardian gave us a bit of a telling off for not entering into the spirit of the FA Cup, etc.

A few years later, didn't we annihilate some little team in Essex 7-1 at their place?  And they scored first?!?!?!?!?

A few years later, didn't we annihilate some little team in Essex 7-1 at their place?  And they scored first?!?!?!?!?

It was 7-0, against Heybridge Swifts in 2002:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/2429717.stm

Cracking away day - I remember someone had the bright idea of putting part of the City allocation behind the home dugout. Every time their manager got up to say anything to his players he was completely drowned out by the City fans. I felt quite sorry for him by the end but to be fair he took the banter fairly well! 

That same season we went on to draw Harrogate Railway away in round 2, which was still, to this day, the coldest I've ever been at a football match.

Archived