IGNORED

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

chipdawg

As an exile, Saturday was my first opportunity to see the lads in the flesh this season and I thought I'd post my thoughts

THE GOOD

JET- the most naturally talented player we've had since Jacki? My wife was fascinated by him because of how unathletic he looks but how effortlessly good he is. If we have to sell him we need to get serious coin for him

Williams- if the lad can not play quite so many long balls and improve a bit in the air, I think he could play in the Premier League

Bobby Reid- our other 'natural talent'; he's still a bit rough around the edges, but the boy can play. We need to find ways to help him do so

Pack- another one with talent, when given space and time to play and when he fancies it, his range of passing is a real weapon, but more on that in a minute...

Style- when we got it down and played we were excellent. I know it was against a team below our current standing, but when we got it right, we got it right

THE BAD

Focus- on a team and individual basis, they seem to regularly lose focus, resulting in the aimless long balls. This isn't just defenders launching it, it's midfielders not showing and wingers not using space. We need to start playing for 90 minutes

Midfield- while individuals played well (bar Shorey), the midfield just doesn't quite work for me. They were too far apart and there was no drive, while when defending they were much too deep. Tactically, you can see where we're getting in trouble

Shorey- he's not a left midfield player and shouldn't be used as such. We have a perfectly good left midfielder in Joe Bryan, lets use him (note: he could have been injured to be fair, I never checked)

Pack- for all the good work he did, I can see why he frustrates people. In the second half he started hustling and using his physicality, but in the first half he looked lightweight in defence and lacked drive in possession. He was very good in the second half but I'm bit sure he's the answer. I suspect Liam Kelly is the answer, but in the short term, perhaps Wynter and Reid might be a better combo?

Hustle- we don't do it and we get flustered when others do it to us. Gone are the days when you could let a team tire themselves out running around, there's too much professionalism. We have to learn to put more pressure on the opposition and to deal with their pressure

THE UGLY

The Crowd- every time the ball goes backwards the tension rises at the Gate and within a few seconds someone has launched it. I understand the frustration of supporters is justified and I don't have to watch it every week, but I felt there's a chicken and egg scenario in effect; the crowd get upset when they anticipate a lack of momentum or a long ball, the players sense the tension and panic, smashing the ball up field. I'm not blaming the fans, its merely an observation and one based on a single game rather than a whole season

So while there are several negatives, I was overall impressed with the second half performance. At present though, without JET we're pretty screwed so if he gets sold we better get serious money for him

I had moans throghout the game from one person by me, and whenever the ball went back it became more tense where I was in dolman

i guess 1 moaner can be heard by 30 or so people so it only takes a few hundred moaners to cover most of the ground.

I personally didn't think there were any reasons to be moaning on Saturday.

I had moans throghout the game from one person by me, and whenever the ball went back it became more tense where I was in dolman

As a matter of interest did the fans still leave the Dolman early yesterday to beat the rush ?

Don't know what stand you were in but really didn't hear any moans around me, the first time this season I can say this.

I was in the Williams. It's not so much individuals moaning (though there were some), but more a rising tension as the ball went back to the defence or keeper. General dissatisfaction or malaise and I just wonder whether that tension translates to the players, encouraging them to panic and hoof it. It might actually be that the tension goes up because everyone knows what's about to come, but there's definitely a correlation

"We felt at the half hour mark, you know just before they scored, that their crowd were starting to get on to them a bit...."

0:48 Wayne Burnett, Dagneham Manager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nWM2oq1VT4

There must have been groans or moans or something then?

People were dismayed to see Baldock, once again, playing in an ineffectual unsupported position. The crowd contained a large number of non ST holders, attracted by the low-price presumably, so I actually had people sitting around me who genuinely thought Sam could somehow benefit from long balls hoofed up to him.

Our first goal nwas slightly against the run of play, but you could just feel the team relax and pick up confidence from it and from then on really, we didn't look back.

That was an interesting perspective from him on that You Tube.

He said we deserved to win and that we were clearly the better team but that 3-0 was harsh on his players.

His comment "For the first half hour, I thought we were the better side" - is that a bit of managerial licence he's taking or did they play alright to start?

He said we deserved to win and that we were clearly the better team but that 3-0 was harsh on his players.

His comment "For the first half hour, I thought we were the better side" - is that a bit of managerial licence he's taking or did they play alright to start?

They certainly got more shots in in the first 30 minutes, but nothing really threatening. D&R basically caved in under pressure.

they play THEIR best football in the first half hour but they were not the best side.

I missed this one, but the OP is right on the ball about the team and the fans at the games I've seen this season.

In particular, the collective indrawn breath at every back or sideways pass must be getting on the players' backs.

This. It does get frustrating when we go backwards on the rare occasion someone is in space but in the stands we have a much better view of the pitch and where people are than the players do (unless your sat behind a pillar)

Archived