IGNORED

Well Done City

Ray White

I see on the Post website that SOD and some of the players were at the Orchard School (Monks Park) to help the kids with their reading. Good work City on reaching out to the greater Bristol community once again and trying to infiltrate the gas heartland. Hopefully encouraging a few of these youngsters down to the gate to break free from the drudgery of growing up supporting the blue few and a life time full of disappointment.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/pictures/PHOTOS/pictures-20071236-detail/pictures.html

I see on the Post website that SOD and some of the players were at the Orchard School (Monks Park) to help the kids with their reading. Good work City on reaching out to the greater Bristol community once again and trying to infiltrate the gas heartland. Hopefully encouraging a few of these youngsters down to the gate to break free from the drudgery of growing up supporting the blue few and a life time full of disappointment.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/pictures/PHOTOS/pictures-20071236-detail/pictures.html

Indeed. Let them come the the Gate for their disappointment ;)

Seriously, it was a good effort at community relations. Pity Schlockhausen and his mates are determined to destroy it :(

Three cheers for the City! Hip, hip...well done, all.

I understand from the Community team staff they were reading passages from "The Famous Five Pillars" amongst other classics...

I read The Famous Five to my youngest a year or two back. It's actually full of sexual innuendo e.g. Julian, Dick and Ann ask whether they can go stay with cousin George, Uncle Quentin and Aunt Fanny at Kirrin Cottage.the children's father picks up the phone and speaks with Aunt Fanny. The children's mother comments that their father is very fond of fanny.

Any young child's upbringing is not complete without The Famous Five.

Who is helping who read?

I was thinking this, surely footballers would be better suited to community efforts in teaching kids how to play football. [Feel free to add your own jokes on that front, obviously]. I'd be offended as a qualified teacher.

Anyway, to reiterate Uncle Les's sentimentf; tally-ho City for the contribution, I would have loved Martin Scott or Gary Shelton to have joined me in the class of '93.

I also reckon SOD was a failed Maths or Chemistry teacher so accidentally ended up in football.

Nice contribution, btw, Rich_S. Captain Pugwash, Magic Roundabout, Jim'll Fix It - Marvellous.

I was thinking this, surely footballers would be better suited to community efforts in teaching kids how to play football. [Feel free to add your own jokes on that front, obviously]. I'd be offended as a qualified teacher.

Anyway, to reiterate Uncle Les's sentimentf; tally-ho City for the contribution, I would have loved Martin Scott or Gary Shelton to have joined me in the class of '93.

I also reckon SOD was a failed Maths or Chemistry teacher so accidentally ended up in football.

Nice contribution, btw, Rich_S. Captain Pugwash, Magic Roundabout, Jim'll Fix It - Marvellous.

If a role model says reading is good then you read, few teachers are as big a role models as footballers. They may not all be the best readers but they can inspire better than most teacher because they are who they are.

Just to stick it to the crappy Post, I would like to see the club extend its community outreach and send some of our more capable readers amongst the players out to young, hard, working families with toddlers and nippers, to help out with bedtime stories. Big Aden Flint to read 'Topsy and Tim,' JET to read 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar,' Waggy 'The Tiger That Came To Tea,' and perhaps SOD to kick things off with 'The Gruffalo.' I'll put this to him later...

I read The Famous Five to my youngest a year or two back. It's actually full of sexual innuendo e.g. Julian, Dick and Ann ask whether they can go stay with cousin George, Uncle Quentin and Aunt Fanny at Kirrin Cottage.the children's father picks up the phone and speaks with Aunt Fanny. The children's mother comments that their father is very fond of fanny.

Have you moved on to 'The Ashton Gate Eight'? A cautionary tale about reaching for the stars, and falling into the gutter (but with a happy ending, following a heroic rescue and glorious, phoenix like rise, thanks to .... )

With lashings of Ginger Beer of course !!

My Ringtone is Captain Pugwash

Just to stick it to the crappy Post, I would like to see the club extend its community outreach and send some of our more capable readers amongst the players out to young, hard, working families with toddlers and nippers, to help out with bedtime stories. Big Aden Flint to read 'Topsy and Tim,' JET to read 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar,' Waggy 'The Tiger That Came To Tea,' and perhaps SOD to kick things off with 'The Gruffalo.' I'll put this to him later...

That one wouldn't work - my wife once got told "but Mummy, you're not doing the VOICES properly" :) But fair play and very well done to SOD and the players who went. I know my son would love it if they ever went to his school!

My wife who is an avid City fan and season ticket holder in the Atyeo has been up to Monks Park school every week to teach these kids on behalf of the BCFC Community Trust and then got involved with Rob to bring them down to Ashton Gate to meet up with the players (they've previously had a stadium tour a week or two ago)

She's told me that meeting the players had such a positive impact on the kids, to such an extent that one of the them who used to follow Rovers is now switching to City - so it goes to prove that these events do reach out and make a difference.

I'm really proud of her (and the club) for taking on this project as it's reaching out to those who are struggling at school and need role models and encouragement, and this 10 week project has provided it.

Keep up the good work one and all.

ps ....and to my wife xxx

Regarding your last point there, "Rich," I'm not convinced the ubiquitous presence of sexual innuendo in British culture really benefitted my "upbringing" as a child. My sexual "upbringing" has been a proper "Carry On," and showing little sign of switching "Off", anytime soon. Well, that's what "Matron" (Lady Q)is always telling me

My wife who is an avid City fan and season ticket holder in the Atyeo has been up to Monks Park school every week to teach these kids on behalf of the BCFC Community Trust and then got involved with Rob to bring them down to Ashton Gate to meet up with the players (they've previously had a stadium tour a week or two ago)

She's told me that meeting the players had such a positive impact on the kids, to such an extent that one of the them who used to follow Rovers is now switching to City - so it goes to prove that these events do reach out and make a difference.

I'm really proud of her (and the club) for taking on this project as it's reaching out to those who are struggling at school and need role models and encouragement, and this 10 week project has provided it.

Here, here. Commendable. Well done, "Mrs. B"

Bearing this in mind, can we make sure no gas munters are allowed anywhere near our delicate south Bristol "kiddies." We don't want them "turned," do we now? Not that the Rovers team will get past their CRB (City/Rovers, Bristol) check. Perhaps those squabbling in the playground over flags might do better to guard our south Bristol schools against dodgy looking gas munters at the school gates, armed with books?

That one wouldn't work - my wife once got told "but Mummy, you're not doing the VOICES properly" :) But fair play and very well done to SOD and the players who went. I know my son would love it if they ever went to his school!

Old Les can do the "Voices" okay! I've always got one or two "voices"* bouncing around the Q noggin, no problem there.

Do we know if the old SOD has purple *****les all over his back? Or turned in toes? (Think Moloney or JET might have the latter, what with the way they run). Never seen a wart on the end of his hooter, but he's always poking at it...

By the looks of you there, "Gaz," you've recovered well from those difficult experiences growing up. Good lad

Haha thanks Les. Yes i would consider myself one of the lucky ones to have avoided the stench of Gas that plagued the school during the late 80s/early 90s. They actually had a reason to be cheerful back then.

Haha thanks Les. Yes i would consider myself one of the lucky ones to have avoided the stench of Gas that plagued the school during the late 80s/early 90s. They actually had a reason to be cheerful back then.

That's "Sir Les," if you don't mind, young man. That really was a p1ss-poor school, wasn't it? Everyone calling each other by their first names. Dreadful. No wonder this country ...

Well done Mrs B! ;)

Ah good old Monkey's Paradise as it was known when i attended. We only ever got the Gas come to visit in my day....what a treat that was.

Ah! Monkey's Paradise,I went to Greenway in Southmead and that's what we called it. On the other hand my three children went there and it didn't do them any good,harm I mean.As for getting a visit from either club,we had a quiz night at our school,with a school team,a City team and a Rovers team,only the sags didn't even turn up,much to the amusement of the City fans in the hall,with all of us wearing our scarves and hats,the muppets in blue looked a little bit over dressed.City actually won and then donated the cup to the school for the inter house quiz.

Archived