IGNORED

The Mem

The Joker

Lucky you! and what about the significant amount of folks who have to work on Saturday morning (myself included) who don't have time to turn a matchday into a day long piss-up?

Footy is a working class sport, so threfore an awfull lot iof fans will be in my position.

I hear what you all are saying about AV parking tho' - I don't know the site proposed personally, is it really as bad as the gate? ?

If so thats carp! Bloody double yellows and cones everywhere. :(

Off work at 1, straight onto a bus then a pintt in town/hotwells then BS3 if time. Done it many times, have even been known to cycle bloody hippie that Ip am.

I appreciate that's not possible for everyone but don't see parking as a major issue in this debate either.

That's what needs to be taken up with the council/mayor. On the Cumberland basin, we had cars parking there for many many years and I didn't see one problem attached to it, but the PC brigade come along and double line everything saying it's unsafe.

Sure I can understand circumstances where fire engines can't get around a bend for instance, so leave the double yellows just for these areas, not blitz the entire carriageways.

The report into putting double yellow lines said that were fewer accidents on match days than on non match days and the reason they gave was that drivers were more careful, but they still went ahead and put double yellows down.

But not for some while yet eh?, and I expect Higgs is saving all his spare change in a jar for the upcoming legal fees he spoke of.

I think what "Bert" was trying to say there, "Es," is that there's always going to be easy parking up the Rovers, what with the lack of interest in watching their team and all that. Plenty of room. You know, if you needed to do anything around Filton/ Frenchay, wherever they're headed, then you could park at their UWE and tootle off to do what you need to. Plenty of spaces. Good of "Bert" to offer, actually

I think what "Bert" was trying to say there, "Es," is that there's always going to be easy parking up the Rovers, what with the lack of interest in watching their team and all that. Plenty of room. You know, if you needed to do anything around Filton/ Frenchay, wherever they're headed, then you could park at their UWE and tootle off to do what you need to. Plenty of spaces. Good of "Bert" to offer, actually

Apart from the fact there isn't an awful lot to do around there, have a pint at the holiday Inn I suppose or do some train spotting at Abbeywood but that's about it. Awful place to put a stadium from a fans perspective.

Apart from the fact there isn't an awful lot to do around there, have a pint at the holiday Inn I suppose or do some train spotting at Abbeywood but that's about it. Awful place to put a stadium from a fans perspective.

Okay, thanks. "Bert" only mentioned parking. Wonder what "Bert" does, or plans to do, when he parks up. Or is best not to ask?

Did I hear the City fans at Tranmere singing -

'Judicial review, judicial review

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

Great song, I've had months and months of how great their stadium will be, how we missed out on ours through our own incompetence etc etc, and the best of all this little beauty 'when we get our new ground we will be top dogs in Bristol'.

Time to get back in the shadow, :laugh:

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

Great song, I've had months and months of how great their stadium will be, how we missed out on ours through our own incompetence etc etc, and the best of all this little beauty 'when we get our new ground we will be top dogs in Bristol'.

apart from the fact that it wouldn't have been in Bristol and if they call a single tiered bowl great then well...

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

back in the shadow, sglos? 

I'm with you on all this, but when have they emerged from said shadow in the past, oooh (pick a number at random), 20 years?

I can appreciate from your name, mind, how difficult these past couple of years must have been for you, so more power to your elbow. And knee. And all joints between.

That all said - and it is a great song - are we getting carried away too much, having a judicial review doesn't mean their plans are in tatters does it? Don't get me wrong, I want them to pfaff up as much as the next man, but as much as they laughed at us when we were stalled by the dog-walkers, as much as we are laughing at them now, couldn't they be laughing again at us

The area doesn't need a Sainsburys, the sole purpose of the idea is to benefit share-holders, nothing more.

Plus I believe the flattening of the site is wrong on every level. Plus I hate Bristol R*vers.

The unfavour of the month -the green counci- deserve credit if supposed progress is denighed in this instance.

As for AG/AV - I was never for a move. The identity and tradition of our club would be further up in smoke. Let's emulate Norwich or West Brom, not souless bores like Reading.

Rather be at AG in league1 than play in a different colour, be called City Robins or play in a shopping mall.

You seem to be misunderstanding my post. I have never supported building a Sainsbury's at the Rugby Ground, I don't think it's needed, it will have a bigger negative impact on the local shops, it will make traffic worse but worse still, it will remove the memorial which was set in place for veterans of the first world war. Now then, there are some who will say that's hypocritical of me making those statements, given my history. This store is not replacing, relocating and increasing an existing store, it's not in a very good location regards roads and it's not unlocking anywhere near the level of investment in the local economy to warrant it's effect when compared to the one at AG.

My main point is about the lack of anything ever coming to fruition and providing a lasting legacy for the citizens of Bristol, most proposals end in abject failure.

That all said - and it is a great song - are we getting carried away too much, having a judicial review doesn't mean their plans are in tatters does it? Don't get me wrong, I want them to pfaff up as much as the next man, but as much as they laughed at us when we were stalled by the dog-walkers, as much as we are laughing at them now, couldn't they be laughing again at us

Exactly right,the full review will expose once and for all the frailties in trashes claims ( don't forget the cameron pressure on the deciding judges) and grant the gash permission to build the bowl.

Exactly right,the full review will expose once and for all the frailties in trashes claims ( don't forget the cameron pressure on the deciding judges) and grant the gash permission to build the bowl.

or equally it may expose the poor decision the council made?? A decision to build over a war memorial, a decision to put a supermarket in a area that really doesn't need a supermarket. Can you really tell me a Sainsburys is really needed considering there is a tesco, all the shops on glos road and a sainsburys 5 mins away at Stoke Gifford?? Even the most die hard sag head knows trash have a bloody good chance here and as I said previously it wouldn't surprise me if Tesco were their mystery backers and not just with money but Tesco are experts when it comes to planning law and finding loop holes.

back in the shadow, sglos? 

I'm with you on all this, but when have they emerged from said shadow in the past, oooh (pick a number at random), 20 years?

I can appreciate from your name, mind, how difficult these past couple of years must have been for you, so more power to your elbow. And knee. And all joints between.

I take on board what you are saying, I'm just not convinced they have the financial structures in place to be able to cope with long delays.

or equally it may expose the poor decision the council made?? A decision to build over a war memorial, a decision to put a supermarket in a area that really doesn't need a supermarket. Can you really tell me a Sainsburys is really needed considering there is a tesco, all the shops on glos road and a sainsburys 5 mins away at Stoke Gifford?? Even the most die hard sag head knows trash have a bloody good chance here and as I said previously it wouldn't surprise me if Tesco were their mystery backers and not just with money but Tesco are experts when it comes to planning law and finding loop holes.

At the final planning hearing for Sainsbury's at AG, one of the very highest order of our expert planners informed me that it was Tesco that paid for the traffic study, used by Basics (the opposition group), in their fight against Sainsbury's and the club. They just would not have been able to afford that study, without financial assistance from elsewhere.

Why don't sainsburys buy the land for the new stadium instead, giving rovers sufficient finance to redevelop the mem to 15k all seater or something, lets face it that's all they will ever need.

I would guess that Sainsbury's have chosen that site because of it's proximity to one of their main competitors (Tesco Golden Hill). They will have a similar catchment area, plus the passing trade that two main roads give them. I would hassard a guess that it would be a more profitable site than Golden Hill, ultimately they'll plan to take customers from Tesco. Plus and this probably answers your question, they already have a store there.

Why don't sainsburys buy the land for the new stadium instead, giving rovers sufficient finance to redevelop the mem to 15k all seater or something, lets face it that's all they will ever need.

Because they would then have two supermarkets next door to each other. There's already a Sainsburys near the UWE.

You took the piss Gas

Now you got one too'

I will admit to finding that funny :)

Unbelievable really that your lot were singing about the stadium at the derby match when the plump female had yet to even clear her throat. Must have been some Sags that night thinking why oh why.

Well yes, I did think so on the night too, but then I never understand piss taking chants during a game (You're not singing any more etc), far better to cheer on your own side during the 90 minutes, and after the final whistle take the piss all you want (or run on the pitch and chuck coins of course ;) )

Well yes, I did think so on the night too, but then I never understand piss taking chants during a game (You're not singing any more etc), far better to cheer on your own side during the 90 minutes, and after the final whistle take the piss all you want (or run on the pitch and chuck coins of course ;) )

Mate, one thing that bothers me , why you chose your user name. Is it a form of Post Modernist Irony, choosing possibly one of the worst players ever to "grace" your team (mind you, there is a plethora of choice for THAT particular nomenclature) ?

Mate, one thing that bothers me , why you chose your user name. Is it a form of Post Modernist Irony, choosing possibly one of the worst players ever to "grace" your team (mind you, there is a plethora of choice for THAT particular nomenclature) ?

I think calling it Post Modernist Irony might suggest I put a lot of thought into it! I just thought of his name when I signed up, maybe I'm still having sub concious nightmares about him now.

He did score a hat trick for us once btw, against Swansea. The hat trick goal was loosely described as a header at the time, but the ball actually hit him on the back of the head and went in, which seemed quite appropriate.

Archived