IGNORED

Footballers From The Bristol Area

alexanl1

Theo Walcott is actually from Compton a little village in Berkshire near West Illsey and Newbury.

He was spotted by Mick Channon by accident, Channon trains racehorses in the next village and was asked to come and open the new pavillion in Compton one Sunday morning when the Under 14s were playing. Channon in awe of Walcott's talent rung up Southampton the team he supported and recommended a scout go watch this lad. The rest they say is history.

Rob Newman (b. Bradford-On-Avon) played in the first Premier League season for Norwich, who actually finished third. Jamie Cureton (b. Bristol) played in the Prem in 1994-95 also for Norwich (in the same squad as Newman).

I think Steve Yates (QPR) and Keith Curle (Man City) (both born in Bristol) have also played in the Prem.

This is going back a bit and won't mean anything to the younger ones but what about Tony Book?

He played nearly 400 games for Bath City. Malcolm Allison became the Bath manager and was so impressed with Book that he took him with him when he moved to manage Plymouth. Allison then managed Man City and signed Book who made his league 1 (pre premiership) debut aged 32!

Book then played over 200 games for Man City and subsequently managed them for several seasons.

There are plenty of players out there in the lower leagues who could play at a higher level but never get a chance.

Nice topic connection there... West Brom "kids" is now being run by Jamie Shore. Bristolian born and bred AND he played in the prem. Missed by City, snapped up by rovers. There is  today's fact.

Yeah the guy who was running the initial trial mentioned that, I think it was something along the lines that Jamie Shore started his own coaching programme/scheme which was then bought by WBA with Jamie staying on to run/manage the course???

Yeah, Jamie's soccer school has been running very successfully now for a number of years, getting kids into the professional game

WBA bought into it recently, so JS is now predominnatly coaching kids specifically for WBA

Several boys came to City from Jamie before his tie up with West Brom. Herbie Kane and Joe Morrell amongst them. Jack Butland also went from Jamie to Birmingham.

He left City in Feb '78, but i'm sure he must have played games in 76-77 (someone will know)....Gary Collier & Paul Stevens were also Bristolian and played in the top flight, i'm sure Ray Cashley must have played a few?

Paul Stevens, top flight? Of the Conference maybe!!

Always remember him scoring the winner v York in the 4th Division. Tuesday night match in front of 9000 fans, and I'm pretty sure we went top of the league that night.

He left City in Feb '78, but i'm sure he must have played games in 76-77 (someone will know)....Gary Collier & Paul Stevens were also Bristolian and played in the top flight, i'm sure Ray Cashley must have played a few?

Always remember him scoring the winner v York in the 4th Division. Tuesday night match in front of 9000 fans, and I'm pretty sure we went top of the league that night.

Looks like I owe you an apology. Stevens did play 1 game in the 1st Division v Middlesborough.

Thought it was over 10k, only a thousand or so less than our lowest crowd (v. Middlesbro'?) in the old First division.Not sure where you can check these things though.

Remember that night well, a big group of Parkenders unusually took residence in the back corner of the EE, and I'm sure that win did take us to the top of the league - remember exiting the EE singing about it.

It was unbelievable to be top of any league at the time after what we'd been through.

Thought it was over 10k, only a thousand or so less than our lowest crowd (v. Middlesbro'?) in the old First division.Not sure where you can check these things though.

Remember that night well, a big group of Parkenders unusually took residence in the back corner of the EE, and I'm sure that win did take us to the top of the league - remember exiting the EE singing about it.

It was unbelievable to be top of any league at the time after what we'd been through.

Bloody hell Noggers, I might be wrong twice on this thread then!!

I'll see if I can find it anywhere.

Sorry to taint the forum with these names but...Nick Tanner (Liverpool), P*nrice & H*ll*way (QPR)...all Bristolians who have  played in the prem...oh, and Gary Mabbut (Spurs)....

Nicky Tanner. At Liverpool. Signed by one Kenneth Dalgleish. 1988. About the same time Fergie signed our Ralphie. What was going on back then?

Liverpool won one more league title, 1990, after signing the Rovers plodder, a season in which Nicky failed to play a sufficient number of games to earn a medal. They are still waiting for the next championship. And Souness picked Tanner for about 40 games in about 91/92. He went under the knife soon after(for his ticker, and probably a bit of cosmetic as well), and then got the chop, after losing gloriously in the cup. Wonder if they ever look back at that slow centre back from Bristol and think, what was that?? They might as well have had TwentyTwenty. The signs were there, way back, that Liverpool were on the slide. And that King Kenny wasnae up tae it.

The Kop called Nicky "Elsie," apparently. Don't think they've got a flag with him on it.

I seem to remember a long-forgotten City fanzine marking the signing of Tanner by Liverpool at that time with a mildly humorous back page of 'Anfield Legends,' with pics of St. John, Dalgleish, Rush, and lastly, N. Tanner. Wonder what happened to them - "Elsie" and that not-much-missed p1ss-taking City fanscene???

Archived