IGNORED

My View - Game Of Two Halves

The Kaiser

Well where do I start?

For the most of the first half I expected to be writing about a 3 point trip ala Carlisle but today's it's a point.

So a point in Birkenhead where we saw what City can do (positively) and what City can do (In a frustrating way).

They say football is two halves, well we got that.

Lovely ground, fantastic view for away support, friendly pub opposite the away turnstile in the Prenton Park where I had a chat to some locals - they don't think much of their side lately(doesn't everyone?).

Ok so Tranmere?

They are poor. In fact I'll stick my neck out and say we will not play a worse side than Tranmere Rovers.

We complain about some long balls at Ashton Gate, let me tell you until you see a Ronnie Moore side play, you don't really appreciate what classic hoofball is!!

Tranmere were classic Ronnie Moore. Boot it long, boot it high - we lost 2 balls over the top of the Johnny King stand and managed to hit the roof of a 2 block stand - leave your foot in and it's just horrible football.

So how did we do?

Jekyll and Hyde (again).

First half we set out with Jet partnering Baldock with Shorey pushed up on the left in front of Cunningham.

We started with confidence, back to back wins saw us with a new found belief to play the ball to feet, to players finding space and Tranmere looked ordinary.

Their sparse crowd made no noise and we didn't look troubled until it was no surprise to see us take the lead.

Baldock was marked differently than what we've seen before. It helped too. Moore's sides tend to be big and mark zonally, so before where we've seen Sam lose the ball from close marking he got away several times today.

Ball was played over the top behind the centre half, Sam lost him took it into the penalty area wide on the left and struck a bullet into the far corner in front of the Tranmere end.

Something I've been waiting to see from Baldock for a while.

Then the next 20 mins saw a pattern of City playing it on the deck, Reid trying to spread it wide to the left and right using Gillett to keep it and whenever Tranmere got it they just booted it forward or out. I couldn't see how they'd score .

Then I did see it. One of the few occasions they broke and there was a ball played across, silly buggers played but we had men in the box, I couldn't fault them. Then there was a drilled well struck shot either heading out or Parrish would have handled.

It took a nasty deflection and we were 1-1.

Only shot they had taken and completely undeserved.

We then had a spell of pressure but in reality their pressure was hoiking it into our box and trying to fling a body in it.

In fact there was almost a goal but it came from us.

The anonymous JET struck a decent free kick edge of their box tipped around the post by Goliath in goal. Then from the resulting corner Gillett was unlucky to not get a goal.

When the ref blew for half time it was not disconsolate. We'd been sucker punched they didn't deserve it but we had 45 mins where our football should address it.

Unfortunately step forward the frustrating no-confidence Bristol City.

Whether the goal, the crowd, I don't know what but we decided we no longer wanted to play it on the floor and engaged in a battle of hoofball.

Playing long ball with a Ronnie Moore side is a pointless task. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you. Flint and Moloney was heading it high and anywhere, volleying high (Flint booted one out the stand) and we noticeably backed off.

So we invited pressure. While at the time it seemed like we were under pressure there wasn't one real chance I recall them having.

All we ended up doing by sitting back was invite Tranmere to come forward, whip their crowd up and rule ourselves out from going back ahead.

One moment we did play some nice football was when Pack found himself through on the left side inside the penalty area.

Instead of crossing it into the six yard box or shooting , he attempted a ridiculously fancy Johann Cruyff back heel which went straight to them. We were all out of position, Tranmere ran it the length of the pitch put a cross over for Parrish to tip it over to huge Tranmere noise.

Idiocy.

We didn't really attempt to play football again after that.

We did come close near the end JET pulled clear and put it across 6 yard box which best the keeper only for it to be put out last gasp preventing what would have been a certain Bobby Reid goal.

For all their pressure second half it was who had the two best chances with a good save from Baldock by the keeper.

Final whistle was pretty disappointing because everyone could see how poor Tranmere were.

We beat ourselves that second half by not sticking to what we did well first half and sitting back.

The fact Tranmere still didn't really create much other than hustle and bustle corners probably says it most.

The players came over and clapped, we clapped them (not without the odd shout to JET about how lazy he had been).

Good turnout again.

Did we deserve a point or all 3?

Hmmmm, I don't think our second half warranted us leaving here with all but goodness me we should have.....

Well where do I start?

For the most of the first half I expected to be writing about a 3 point trip ala Carlisle but today's it's a point.

So a point in Birkenhead where we saw what City can do (positively) and what City can do (In a frustrating way).

They say football is two halves, well we got that.

Lovely ground, fantastic view for away support, friendly pub opposite the away turnstile in the Prenton Park where I had a chat to some locals - they don't think much of their side lately(doesn't everyone?).

Ok so Tranmere?

They are poor. In fact I'll stick my neck out and say we will not play a worse side than Tranmere Rovers.

We complain about some long balls at Ashton Gate, let me tell you until you see a Ronnie Moore side play, you don't really appreciate what classic hoofball is!!

Tranmere were classic Ronnie Moore. Boot it long, boot it high - we lost 2 balls over the top of the Johnny King stand and managed to hit the roof of a 2 block stand - leave your foot in and it's just horrible football.

So how did we do?

Jekyll and Hyde (again).

First half we set out with Jet partnering Baldock with Shorey pushed up on the left in front of Cunningham.

We started with confidence, back to back wins saw us with a new found belief to play the ball to feet, to players finding space and Tranmere looked ordinary.

Their sparse crowd made no noise and we didn't look troubled until it was no surprise to see us take the lead.

Baldock was marked differently than what we've seen before. It helped too. Moore's sides tend to be big and mark zonally, so before where we've seen Sam lose the ball from close marking he got away several times today.

Ball was played over the top behind the centre half, Sam lost him took it into the penalty area wide on the left and struck a bullet into the far corner in front of the Tranmere end.

Something I've been waiting to see from Baldock for a while.

Then the next 20 mins saw a pattern of City playing it on the deck, Reid trying to spread it wide to the left and right using Gillett to keep it and whenever Tranmere got it they just booted it forward or out. I couldn't see how they'd score .

Then I did see it. One of the few occasions they broke and there was a ball played across, silly buggers played but we had men in the box, I couldn't fault them. Then there was a drilled well struck shot either heading out or Parrish would have handled.

It took a nasty deflection and we were 1-1.

Only shot they had taken and completely undeserved.

We then had a spell of pressure but in reality their pressure was hoiking it into our box and trying to fling a body in it.

In fact there was almost a goal but it came from us.

The anonymous JET struck a decent free kick edge of their box tipped around the post by Goliath in goal. Then from the resulting corner Gillett was unlucky to not get a goal.

When the ref blew for half time it was not disconsolate. We'd been sucker punched they didn't deserve it but we had 45 mins where our football should address it.

Unfortunately step forward the frustrating no-confidence Bristol City.

Whether the goal, the crowd, I don't know what but we decided we no longer wanted to play it on the floor and engaged in a battle of hoofball.

Playing long ball with a Ronnie Moore side is a pointless task. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you. Flint and Moloney was heading it high and anywhere, volleying high (Flint booted one out the stand) and we noticeably backed off.

So we invited pressure. While at the time it seemed like we were under pressure there wasn't one real chance I recall them having.

All we ended up doing by sitting back was invite Tranmere to come forward, whip their crowd up and rule ourselves out from going back ahead.

One moment we did play some nice football was when Pack found himself through on the left side inside the penalty area.

Instead of crossing it into the six yard box or shooting , he attempted a ridiculously fancy Johann Cruyff back heel which went straight to them. We were all out of position, Tranmere ran it the length of the pitch put a cross over for Parrish to tip it over to huge Tranmere noise.

Idiocy.

We didn't really attempt to play football again after that.

We did come close near the end JET pulled clear and put it across 6 yard box which best the keeper only for it to be put out last gasp preventing what would have been a certain Bobby Reid goal.

For all their pressure second half it was who had the two best chances with a good save from Baldock by the keeper.

Final whistle was pretty disappointing because everyone could see how poor Tranmere were.

We beat ourselves that second half by not sticking to what we did well first half and sitting back.

The fact Tranmere still didn't really create much other than hustle and bustle corners probably says it most.

The players came over and clapped, we clapped them (not without the odd shout to JET about how lazy he had been).

Good turnout again.

Did we deserve a point or all 3?

Hmmmm, I don't think our second half warranted us leaving here with all but goodness me we should have.....

Good write up but how anonymous was JET? He didn't seemed to be mentioned until the last 10 min or so and it still sounded like he could've had a couple of goals.

JET was frustrating.

1. Free kick end of first half which was good and tipped around corner.

2. Run down left for ball over put out by their defender last min.

3. Shot on right wildly missing.

The frustrating side?

Baldock pulled wide got the ball, played it with Bobby Reid and whipped it dangerously into their six yard box.

Where was JET?

Strolling just by the centre circle....

JET was frustrating.

1. Free kick end of first half which was good and tipped around corner.

2. Run down left for ball over put out by their defender last min.

3. Shot on right wildly missing.

The frustrating side?

Baldock pulled wide got the ball, played it with Bobby Reid and whipped it dangerously into their six yard box.

Where was JET?

Strolling just by the centre circle....

I don't know if that's the same one when he should've passed to Reid who may have been open to make it 2-0..

I guess with the form JET is in, he had every right to go for that himself but just sounds a tad too greedy.

Thought second half we didn't really get going but apart from silly mistakes by us tranmere didn't look that dangerous.

Every setpiece koumas had to take which slowed down the game.

Last 10 mins 2nd half thought with a bit of thought by our players we should of won.

Jet ball across six yard box, Baldocks shot and once jet lost it when Elliott was free on edge of box.

Pleased with a point and if we can grind out results like we did today we should be ok. Not as good performance as port vale away but better I would say than Carlisle away overall.

Good write-up by the OP, mostly echoes my own thoughts. We still can't seem to string 2 good halves of football together, today being another example.

1st half was largely very good, a great finish from Baldock to put us in front and then after that Tranmere had a fair amount of possession but we kept them at arms length, whilst looking dangerous on the counter. Their goal came out of nothing, it was the first time they'd been near our penalty area and the shot took a deflection. Half time came and I was expecting we'd go on and win it in the 2nd.

Unfortunately after half time we made a couple of mistakes when on the attack that led to them breaking away and nearly scoring, and it seemed to shake us big time. For most of the 2nd half we were distinctly 2nd best, and as Gillet (who was excellent for 45 mins) started to tire, they started to open us up through the middle, and had a few decent chances. Despite that, we did produce some occasional moments of real quality towards the end, and but for a couple of excellent saves by their keeper and an important block or 2, we might have won it.

So all in all, a point was probably fair, and I was happy enought with it at full time. On another day we could, possibly should, have won it, but Tranmere will think the same.

Player wise, I've already mentioned Gillet, and Osbourne at the back was also very good for the most part. Baldock looked more lively than I've seen in recent weeks, whilst JET was anonymous for long periods, yet still produced several moments of genuine quality which might have led to more.

Shorey should have took the shot instead of looking to pass from inside the 6yrd box in the 2nd half. Best to test the keeper than to waste a chance

Shorey was bloody hopeless (again) today. Been disappointed with him.

JET did also make two good runs in the second half in the box, cutting the ball back and was unlucky to find his man. Overall, he did ok I thought.

I thought it was a pretty poor game between what on the day were two pretty poor teams. Standard lower league fare really.

At times we did play some nice football, mainly through some glimpses of real quality from Bobby Reid and unlike Tranmere you could see we were at least trying to play, but on the whole I felt we were disappointing in possession. JET had one of his more quiet days (although still tested the keeper from range and created an opening late on) and Shorey offered us nothing on the left. It is difficult to understand why SO'D started him out on the wing after he was such a passenger in that position last week against lower league opposition, but I think he is just trying to set us out to be as solid as possible at the moment in the knowledge that we do have goals in us going the other way. Personally I was impressed by McLaughlin at Southampton and off the bench against Colchester and would have like to see him get a chance in Bryan's absence. 

They were really there for the taking and I felt if we could have made it 2-0 rather than conceding from Tranmere's first shot of the game we could have gone on and won by a distance as they were that poor. As the original poster mentioned their defenders in particular seemed to be having a game of who could kick the ball the highest and/or the furthest and their number 4 in particular seemed to make everyone around him more nervy.

Second half they did start a bit better and after Pack had lost possession trying what seemed to me like a rather needless flick they countered, won a corner and for a spell after that they had seized some momentum and we were hanging on. The heartening thing is that I would say we stood up well to the pressure and we do seem a lot more solid now then we have been over the last 18 months. I have no doubt that last season or the start of this we would have conceded, but we stood firm. However frustrating it was that we took a while to get ourselves back in the game against what was poor opposition, it was still pleasing to see us being a lot more difficult to create chances against.

Towards the end of the game we got ourselves back on the front foot and with a bit more composure in the final third we should have really nicked it towards the end really. All in all a slightly frustrating day bearing in mind that had we managed to play anything like our best Tranmere really were there for the taking.

As it is, just as the case with almost every draw you ever get away from home it is probably better to judge today's result after our next two home games. Take 4/6 points (as tough as that may be) and today will go down as a solid if rather unspectacular result, but should we struggle against Sheffield United and Orient it will really seem like a missed opportunity.

We'll as one of the "moaningtant tendency" ;-) I have to say, we done alright. Of course, you take a point away - any time.

SOD continues to baffle though: Shorey in mf? Taylor only on in the 88th? Burns not on the bench?

He obviously knows the transfer market well and has a vision of how attractive, attaking football should be played. It's just that on matchdays, I wonder wtf goes on in his head,I really do.

I thought Shorey did ok, was quite solid and not much came down the left. I reckon the whole point of playing him there was to keep our shape and without wagstaff on the right we had to stay solid.

Really missed wagstaff today he just doesn't stay on the right helps out in the middle as well and is all action.

You've summed the game up well so I wont say as much. But I thought at times today we played some okay football, and at times we were poor. Pretty much the story of our season, but what is to be expected of an average league 1 side. What we don't seem to do is put in enough effort closing other teams down, this was evident AGAIN today, with the Tranmere side not giving us any time on the ball but us giving them acres of space.

On the plus side  baldock took his goal superbly. The defense was rock solid, and bar that deflected shot tranmere hardly looked like scoring, special mention for flint and Cunningham who were both fantastic today, Flint won everything in the air and greg looked back to his best of last season. Needs to be in for the over rated shorey now, just a shame his pull back to baldock was hit to hard, an assist would have topped off his performance.

Im still not sold on marlon pack, not sure what he does other than wonder round, does the odd pass, but doesn't seem to be particularly good at attacking or defending? That flick that has already been mentioned was ridiculous. Give the boy winter a go Saturday. Jet was jet, goes missing but has moments of magic, come on people do you really think if he played how he can all game he would be playing for us? Of course not.

Overall I think we could and probably should have beaten a poor tranmere side, but without playing that well on another day their shot isn't deflected in. and we score one or more of the clear cut chances we created to kill the game. I get the feeling the team's recent results has instilled a confidence and resilience that we wouldn't have seen a month ago, we certainly would have conceded a late goal to lose the game earlier in the season. I think on reflection we will be disappointed not to take all 3, but not totally unhappy with a point and continue our unbeaten run.

This. Tranmere are on a run of 1 defeat in 6 so satisfied with a point especially with 2 home games to come.

Fair enough, to be honest I've had a very busy week so hadn't got chance to look at Tranmeres record leading up to game.

But you'd have to agree they were poor? We could have beaten them.

But yeah I'll take the point...

I thought Shorey did ok, was quite solid and not much came down the left. I reckon the whole point of playing him there was to keep our shape and without wagstaff on the right we had to stay solid.

Really missed wagstaff today he just doesn't stay on the right helps out in the middle as well and is all action.

Fair enough WAT. I wasn't there, so I'm reliant on guys like you who were there to give me the info.

All I can say was that last Saturday he looked too slow, too old and was constantly robbed. Maybe he learned from that.

As LB I think he's useful.

Archived