IGNORED

Eastend Tonight

Hartcliffe red

City fans have a history of fighting among themselves, there used to be running battles on the East End between the Wester's and the Meader's in the 70's  :boxing:

Yep remember them well,although I was at school at time,but this proves that Southmead was not and is not a gas area(I was dragged up there).

City fans have a history of fighting among themselves, there used to be running battles on the East End between the Wester's and the Meader's in the 70's  :boxing:

I remember being on the Centre watching a group of City yobs searching for Gas, failing to find any, and practically picking up sides for a punch-up.

Yeh and visiting fans in the Park End used to get really excited thinking their mates were having a proper go at taking the East End. Ha ha! This sometimes carried on well into the night when everyone went down to the City Centre pubs and clubs.

The East End  was very territorial in those days.

Gangs laid claim to part of the East End and guarded it with their lives.

In addition to the Meaders and Westers, there were tight-knit groups from Hartcliffe/Withywood, Bemmie/Ashton and East Bristol.

There were also gangs with members from several parts of Bristol and surrounding areas which based on nationality - the Sicilians/Italians, the Polaks and the Irish.

Yeh and visiting fans in the Park End used to get really excited thinking their mates were having a proper go at taking the East End. Ha ha! This sometimes carried on well into the night when everyone went down to the City Centre pubs and clubs.

The East End  was very territorial in those days.

Gangs laid claim to part of the East End and guarded it with their lives.

In addition to the Meaders and Westers, there were tight-knit groups from Hartcliffe/Withywood, Bemmie/Ashton and East Bristol.

There were also gangs with members from several parts of Bristol and surrounding areas which based on nationality - the Sicilians/Italians, the Polaks and the Irish.

Don't know about close knit group from Hartcliffe/Withywood?

I went to Withywood school back in the day and fights with Hartcliffe school was common.

Don't know about close knit group from Hartcliffe/Withywood?

I went to Withywood school back in the day and fights with Hartcliffe school was common.

Yeh, same as everywhere else.

Schools fought other schools, areas fought other areas.

But come matchday old grievances and hostilities were temporarily suspended (and if not - long-running feuds would spill-over onto the terraces, which is why  City fans fought each other).

Both allies or foes.

City fans have a history of fighting among themselves, there used to be running battles on the East End between the Wester's and the Meader's in the 70's :boxing:

Ahh I remember a famous battle once between Pen Park and Merrywood, following a rugby match/battle. The game was a blood bath in terrible conditions. Both schools were up for it big time, the shirts were ripped off of merrywoods backs, the tyres were let down on the coach and the windows smashed. Good old days.

Ahh I remember a famous battle once between Pen Park and Merrywood, following a rugby match/battle. The game was a blood bath in terrible conditions. Both schools were up for it big time, the shirts were ripped off of merrywoods backs, the tyres were let down on the coach and the windows smashed. Good old days.

And you tell kids today and they don't believe you...

Bloody hell, gents. Different times, now. Apathy seems to rule these days. My landlady speaks of rougher times than now, she lived through the 70's/80's. A spot of arm waving and gesturing etc has the whole society been sanitised? Or is it just the way it's perceived? My teenage glory days were the 90's - just to give context.

Which part of eastend territory did the notorious Sneyd Park barbour boys hold?

As nasty a mob as I can recall. Stab you with their cravat as soon as look at you.

I remember one of them once sent a note to the referee saying "I recommend you see an optician" They knew how to dish out abuse those chaps :)

Then you had Hotwells  and Redland which became the Red Hot Boot Boys, used to roam around town mainly looking for cardiff or swindon on a night out. A lot of these went in the parkend.

Remember being at Leicester where it really went off, ambulances police getting hit up in the air, Leicester fans thinking it was their lot in with us.i think that was westers and meaders

Im from the "mead" and I know it has a reputation but come on Pen Park ..........that was a girls school   

Thinking about it, it is possible.  :clapping:

Bloody hell, gents. Different times, now. Apathy seems to rule these days. My landlady speaks of rougher times than now, she lived through the 70's/80's. A spot of arm waving and gesturing etc has the whole society been sanitised? Or is it just the way it's perceived? My teenage glory days were the 90's - just to give context.

People who won't go into town on a weekend because of all the violence,should jump into the tardis and go back to the 70's and 80's,go to town,they wouldn't even leave the house.

Archived