IGNORED

Holy Crap

Esmond Million's Bung

What 400 metres above the runway?, how many times has that happened to you Biggles?.

Yes.

Decision Height (the height at which the pilot is committed to the landing as it would be unsafe to abort) is routinely as low as 200m in good visibility during an ILS approach. A captain prepares and briefs for a missed approach (go-around) as part of normal pre landing procedure, due to the regularity with which they occur. At Heathrow for instance, there is about a 30 second margin for error for each arriving aircraft. If one takes 30 seconds too long to reach it's turn off point and is on the runway for too long, the next one will have no choice but to "go missed".

tumblr_l8btaryF1g1qb2o47.jpg

What 400 metres above the runway?, how many times has that happened to you Biggles?.

I was in a plane some years ago, that actually touched down for a few seconds, before taking back off at a crazy rate of accent before circling around and landing for real this time.

Was not funny for sure, apparently the plane driver ( I shant call him a pilot ) touched down to far along the runway with not enough room left to stop us, so had to go back up and try again.

As i say at the time not very good for the heart.

Cheers

Mark

It's just a new tactic from the opposition to unsettle the team. It used to be letting off hotel fire alarms in the early hours, now it's leaving planes on runways.

Have UEFA been told? Sounds serious to me :o

WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE FOOTBALLERS?

I was in a plane some years ago, that actually touched down for a few seconds, before taking back off at a crazy rate of accent before circling around and landing for real this time.

Was not funny for sure, apparently the plane driver ( I shant call him a pilot ) touched down to far along the runway with not enough room left to stop us, so had to go back up and try again.

As i say at the time not very good for the heart.

Cheers

Mark

It happened to me at Bristol in early October. I was in the window seat as we came in to land in very heavy rain, and we seemed to be just about to touch down, (I thought we had) when the engines powered up again and up we went again. It took about 4 minutes for the captain to come on , telling us that he couldn't land because of the heavy rain hitting the windshield, and we would go around and "have another go". Certainly shook me up. I also thought clapping on landing was a thing of the past, well not in this case.

Yes.

Decision Height (the height at which the pilot is committed to the landing as it would be unsafe to abort) is routinely as low as 200m in good visibility during an ILS approach. A captain prepares and briefs for a missed approach (go-around) as part of normal pre landing procedure, due to the regularity with which they occur. At Heathrow for instance, there is about a 30 second margin for error for each arriving aircraft. If one takes 30 seconds too long to reach it's turn off point and is on the runway for too long, the next one will have no choice but to "go missed".

tumblr_l8btaryF1g1qb2o47.jpg

The thing that shook me up when it happened to us, is that when you take off again, you get the feeling that you are in airspace that you really shouldn't be in, and that by doing a "go around" you are performing a abnormal approach, which sets the old heart pounding.

It happened to me at Bristol in early October. I was in the window seat as we came in to land in very heavy rain, and we seemed to be just about to touch down, (I thought we had) when the engines powered up again and up we went again. It took about 4 minutes for the captain to come on , telling us that he couldn't land because of the heavy rain hitting the windshield, and we would go around and "have another go". Certainly shook me up. I also thought clapping on landing was a thing of the past, well not in this case.

That'll be  those cheap Halfords windshield wipers. I blame SoD.

Archived