IGNORED

18 Played 28 To Go.

djb6162

Just a gentle reflection and study this morning of the league two table suggests one or two interesting things.

I posted some weeks ago my thoughts on management change and our position after 9 games, so i thought i would follow up after 18 games.

What i said then about management change has not altered, my position on that has been consistent if not universally popular.

But for clarity, i will state again, that a change of management now or at any stage this season is a nonsense.

Sod has now picked up 10 points in the last 9 games since i posted losing 3 of those games.

He had previously lost 4 of his opening nine games.

Most importantly he has won 2 of the last 9 having notoriously not registered a win for some months in fact and certainly not in his opening nine games

Put simply the improvement in points total is 100% versus the first 9 games .

I think that points per game improvement is the only vital statistic that really matters i suppose, but here are a few others that may encourage an otherwise still generally negative forum

We have lost only 1 more game than peterboro who are 5th in the table

We are only 6 points ( 2 wins) from the top half of the table, which is where incidentally i thought we might finish. ( between 10&12th)

I still stand by that prediction.

Only one team in the bottom half has outscored us ( Coventry, but hey have conceded more as well)

Our goal difference wont send us down on current form and looking at others in the table we have that reasonably under control

A number of other teams are starting to show up and down form, again as i suggested might happend

This league is really going to be wide open.

We are closer to bradford ( currently in 6th) than they are to Wolves who are top.

Between now and the end of january will be crucial, however i dont agree with those who point at the league fixtures we have in a negative sense, they mean nothing in a league where everyone is losing games to everyone else.

This is league 1 and anything can happen.

Wild optimism, maybe, but i reckon my stats stand up better than those who point to a radical change as the only way forward.

Dont get me wrong, i trully understand some of the concerns, but this is a trully new team in a new league.

I want more creativity, i want more direct football, i want more goals and i certainly want more points, i want more width and i want more fight like last night on a regular game in game out basis, but more than anything i would settle for one point more than the team in 21st position come the end of the season.

We will no more about the youngsters and the potential of this manager and his team by the end of the season.

Afterall, is there anybody on his forum that belives this team is ready for the championship?

Well if like me you dont, then what we can realistically aim for this season is survival , experience and some time for the manager to build.

Some good points, I appreciate why you state that fixtures should be disregarded and anyone can beat anyone, but I disagree that they should be wholly disregarded.

The first 9 brought us playing the two other relegated teams, one of whom kept a great squad together and the other is accustomed to being a yo-yo club and so it is only reasonable to assume would cope better with the set back. We also faced a team which had just been promoted and off the back of a great season and were many people's outside bet to impress this year also.

The second run of 9 games featured a run of home games against (generally) opposition which should have posed fewer problems than the ones that preceded them.

I have not ignored what you have said about how teams are faring at home but as I see the stats only Notts Co and Stevenage have lost more at home than us (hardly a collective to which we should aspire) and only Preston have drawn at as often as we have (although they have only lost at home once too). I make it 13 teams have won more home games than they have lost, and only 6 have lost more than they won (includes ourselves). There is only one other team in the league that has only won at home once and that is Stevenage, and they have played two less home games than ourselves.

As I see it teams in this division are taking advantage of playing at home and we are not. I believe the reason we are not is because we are not nearly adventurous enough at home. We have scored 11 goals in 10 games at home, Incidentally, Notts Co at the foot of the table have 11 home goals from two fewer home games.

An improvement, even a 100% improvement in the second string does not strike me as marvelous, indeed it strikes me as possibly routine. Also you must consider the starting point: 100% of naff all is still naff all. Just because we have displayed a 100% improvement in return, based upon the return in the previous 9 games, is still not particularly something to be lauded.

For me, I don't think the improvement is really there to see and is really as marked as it should be. If I was on the board I would consider SOD's position to be 'very insecure' in FM speak and think it is reasonable to be precarious when the football served up is considered alongside the return.

Some good points, I appreciate why you state that fixtures should be disregarded and anyone can beat anyone, but I disagree that they should be wholly disregarded.

The first 9 brought us playing the two other relegated teams, one of whom kept a great squad together and the other is accustomed to being a yo-yo club and so it is only reasonable to assume would cope better with the set back. We also faced a team which had just been promoted and off the back of a great season and were many people's outside bet to impress this year also.

The second run of 9 games featured a run of home games against (generally) opposition which should have posed fewer problems than the ones that preceded them.

I have not ignored what you have said about how teams are faring at home but as I see the stats only Notts Co and Stevenage have lost more at home than us (hardly a collective to which we should aspire) and only Preston have drawn at as often as we have (although they have only lost at home once too). I make it 13 teams have won more home games than they have lost, and only 6 have lost more than they won (includes ourselves). There is only one other team in the league that has only won at home once and that is Stevenage, and they have played two less home games than ourselves.

As I see it teams in this division are taking advantage of playing at home and we are not. I believe the reason we are not is because we are not nearly adventurous enough at home. We have scored 11 goals in 10 games at home, Incidentally, Notts Co at the foot of the table have 11 home goals from two fewer home games.

An improvement, even a 100% improvement in the second string does not strike me as marvelous, indeed it strikes me as possibly routine. Also you must consider the starting point: 100% of naff all is still naff all. Just because we have displayed a 100% improvement in return, based upon the return in the previous 9 games, is still not particularly something to be lauded.

For me, I don't think the improvement is really there to see and is really as marked as it should be. If I was on the board I would consider SOD's position to be 'very insecure' in FM speak and think it is reasonable to be precarious when the football served up is considered alongside the return.

I apologise if i appeared to suggest that settling for mediocrity was acceptable and you have pointed out netter than i, no its not.

However at this early stage in the new Bristol city i would say this to you.

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed mannis king"

I will settle for that one more point than the team in 21st this season, however i think i did say that o believe we will do better than that.

Where you are bang on the moneybfor me and a point i didnt cover was home form and our general approach to those games.

I dearlybwould love to see. SOD mix up the home formation and really stop worrying about the opposition.

We have enough attacking players in this squad to make any team in this division uncomfortable, we just need the manager to believe it.

Aterall if he doesnt, what chance the players .

Great response by the way

Just a gentle reflection and study this morning of the league two table suggests one or two interesting things.

I posted some weeks ago my thoughts on management change and our position after 9 games, so i thought i would follow up after 18 games.

What i said then about management change has not altered, my position on that has been consistent if not universally popular.

But for clarity, i will state again, that a change of management now or at any stage this season is a nonsense.

Sod has now picked up 10 points in the last 9 games since i posted losing 3 of those games.

He had previously lost 4 of his opening nine games.

Most importantly he has won 2 of the last 9 having notoriously not registered a win for some months in fact and certainly not in his opening nine games

Put simply the improvement in points total is 100% versus the first 9 games .

I think that points per game improvement is the only vital statistic that really matters i suppose, but here are a few others that may encourage an otherwise still generally negative forum

We have lost only 1 more game than peterboro who are 5th in the table

We are only 6 points ( 2 wins) from the top half of the table, which is where incidentally i thought we might finish. ( between 10&12th)

I still stand by that prediction.

Only one team in the bottom half has outscored us ( Coventry, but hey have conceded more as well)

Our goal difference wont send us down on current form and looking at others in the table we have that reasonably under control

A number of other teams are starting to show up and down form, again as i suggested might happend

This league is really going to be wide open.

We are closer to bradford ( currently in 6th) than they are to Wolves who are top.

Between now and the end of january will be crucial, however i dont agree with those who point at the league fixtures we have in a negative sense, they mean nothing in a league where everyone is losing games to everyone else.

This is league 1 and anything can happen.

Wild optimism, maybe, but i reckon my stats stand up better than those who point to a radical change as the only way forward.

Dont get me wrong, i trully understand some of the concerns, but this is a trully new team in a new league.

I want more creativity, i want more direct football, i want more goals and i certainly want more points, i want more width and i want more fight like last night on a regular game in game out basis, but more than anything i would settle for one point more than the team in 21st position come the end of the season.

We will no more about the youngsters and the potential of this manager and his team by the end of the season.

Afterall, is there anybody on his forum that belives this team is ready for the championship?

Well if like me you dont, then what we can realistically aim for this season is survival , experience and some time for the manager to build.

Very glass half full post, the fact is; we have won 2 games in 18 div one games, that is the worst in this division.

You say by the end of very difficult Jan, I say if we don't win at least 2 games in December and not lose any of the rest of them, then I believe we will be relegated. :sad26:

By accounts from fans present, a much improved effort last night, that has to continue or we will soon have the best ground in the 4th div. 

Archived